i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: Change drivebelt on 1,6 CRDi

Asterix · 41 · 26104

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@Sinisterimposter  and others , Finally had time to get into shed 2 with camera here is the image you need.

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Awesome. Thanks Gary
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rjngk

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
I changed my belt last week and learnt some lessons that may help. I struggled to fit the the 1810mm replacement belt and AFTER much effort doing so figured out something that makes it easy!

I refer to crazykev's picture in this thread and nzenigma pic (thanks)

1. Remove the torx40 bolt from the idler pulley EP230 (the pulley will stay in place as the bolt only retains it on a boss).
2. Ease the tensioner pulley as described.
3. Remove pulley EP230.
4. Fully de-tension the belt and it will slide off and on easily.
5. Once the belt is on re-install pulley EP230 (I threw the torx40 bolt away and replaced it with a 10mx25mm 1.5mm pitch flange head bolt to make the next time easier)

Pulley EP230 is at the top of the engine with easy access, it deflects the belt a marginal amount and once it is removed the belt has the length needed for maintenance. I even think Hyundai designed it for this way, well done!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 05:19:43 by rjngk »
  • I30 FD 1.6 Diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I changed my belt last week and learnt some lessons that may help. I struggled to fit the the 1810mm replacement belt and AFTER much effort doing so figured out something that makes it easy!

I refer to crazykev's picture in this thread and nzenigma pic (thanks)

1. Remove the torx40 bolt from the idler pulley EP230 (the pulley will stay in place as the bolt only retains it on a boss).
2. Ease the tensioner pulley as described.
3. Remove pulley EP230.
4. Fully de-tension the belt and it will slide off and on easily.
5. Once the belt is on re-install pulley EP230 (I threw the torx40 bolt away and replaced it with a 10mx25mm 1.5mm pitch flange head bolt to make the next time easier)

Pulley EP230 is at the top of the engine with easy access, it deflects the belt a marginal amount and once it is removed the belt has the length needed for maintenance. I even think Hyundai designed it for this way, well done!
Did you notice the tensioner has a 14mm hex and a hole which when the tensioner is fully released from the belt you can put a pin through the hole and lock it into position. That may make it easier next time
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
@Sinisterimposter  and others , Finally had time to get into shed 2 with camera here is the image you need.

Nice job on the wires Gary :rolleyes:

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Added some washer fluid and noticed a hole right in the middle of the drive belt. 5 minutes of hasty work and new one was changed. Looked the old one and saw that there are 6 holes in the belt. Some are through, some are just 'dents'. Nevertheless, weird stuff. Belt is not that old. Maybe it was poor quality. All the pulleys seemed to be fine. I guess I must have gotten some crap between the belt and pulley and at some point it has made holes...

• i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Added some washer fluid and noticed a hole right in the middle of the drive belt. 5 minutes of hasty work and new one was changed. Looked the old one and saw that there are 6 holes in the belt. Some are through, some are just 'dents'. Nevertheless, weird stuff. Belt is not that old. Maybe it was poor quality. All the pulleys seemed to be fine. I guess I must have gotten some crap between the belt and pulley and at some point it has made holes...

I'm thinking a foreign object has got trapped in a pulley groove or something and puncturred it.  Could be worth double checking , could be metal , could still be there and damage new belt. Grooved pulleys i'd check .

this would explain the multiple punctures. 6 punctures 1810mm one every 300mm, crank pulley is probably the largest circumference, who knows , sounds good in theory :wacko:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Jeezz mate, picky :confused: Chainsaw can save time  :mrgreen:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Sure until one day you need a connector or complete harness. What's that to? The glows? Don't recognise cut wires that well :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 23:46:43 by tw2005 »

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Sure until one day you need a connector or complete harness. What's that to? The glows? Don't recognise cut wires that well :mrgreen:
Don't know but there was a huge flash and lots of sparks.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 23:47:46 by tw2005 »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Don't know but there was a huge flash and lots of sparks.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal