i30 Owners Club

Tyres on i30 2014 Tourer Elite 1.6 CDRi GD

Offline 5milecreek

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia Victoria
Hi about to purchase i30 2014 Tourer Elite 1.6 CDRi GD in Australia & wondered if anyone knew what original tyres were? Wondering if 28,000 kms odometer  reading is genuine, given prevalence of odometer wind back? Car History Report doesn't record any odometer info. Figured if it still had original tyres, I'd believe low odometer reading. Still waiting to see service history. If that checks ok, will get NRMA report.
Any other comments or advice on Tourer Elite 1.6 CDRi GD appreciated. I've had a Golf 77tdi (just written off) but none around to purchase with low kms. So, been looking at Hyundai's (both Active and Elite).
Thanks
  • 2014 i30 Tourer Elite 1.6CRDi GD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
In my experience, the practice of winding speedos back in Australia has long gone.
The tyres would be Hankook, Kumho or possibly, Nexen. The spare would most likely be unroaded if the car only has 28,000 klms on it (but not necessarily). I assume they're 16".
If the car is with a reputable seller, it's most unlikely the speedo has been wound back.
Worth getting an NRMA check anyway, although before we left Sydney 10 years ago they were setting up to start charging for that. Used to be free for members.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Service book should have notes re km at services - might help.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Free NRMA inpections are long gone - now start @ $269  :(
There are a number of other mobile inspection groups that you can also use.
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Free NRMA inpections are long gone - now start @ $269  :(
There are a number of other mobile inspection groups that you can also use.
Wow!
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome,  The tyres on my wife's 2014 base model tourer are Hankook  Ventus Prime 205/55R16 91H but the elite could be different.  As Trevor says Hyundai tends to only use Korean brand tyres Hankook, Kumho and Nexen.

BTW, my wife has only done 19,600 kms in hers in 3 years...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:45:30 by Dazzler »
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Check the manufacture date stamp on the tyres.  Checking the spare is also a good idea as you'd expect it to be new unused in a lot of cases.

At 24 000k, I'd expect them to be all original, all the same type, all the same date  and 50% worn. Assuming the previous person did not upgrade the tyres.

I'm thinking Hankook may have been original.

As far as odo rollbacks, does not take much to swap a cluster over or copy data across to the  flash chip on the board if that's your intent.

If it's one owner there is likely no  data on the odo on the system yet.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What depth is on tyres?

Are all tyres same brand.

Are front and rear same depth as i would expect front to be less.

Is the manufacture date on each tyre, if same brand the same date.
If not, then which are the same, front, back, mixed, coukd indicate changes.

Check rubbers on pedals and drivers side carpet for excessive wear which may indicate either alot of short trips or high mileage.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline 5milecreek

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia Victoria
Hi
Thanks so much for all your replies.
What a great forum! :)
Got service history now with all odomester readings (all seems legit) serviced every 6 months!
Then got NRMA report: said tyres wouldn't pass Vic Road Worthy despite fact NSW dealer's  so called 'Independent Vehicle Assessment' Report by company IVI of tyres @ 50%. NRMA said a NSW roadworthy possible via 'mate assessor', but he wouldn't have passed...
Now, engaged in price negotiations to cover extra $$ for tyres tyres needed for  Vic RWC & registration transfer
Thanks again
  • 2014 i30 Tourer Elite 1.6CRDi GD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi
Thanks so much for all your replies.
What a great forum! :)
Got service history now with all odomester readings (all seems legit) serviced every 6 months!
Then got NRMA report: said tyres wouldn't pass Vic Road Worthy despite fact NSW dealer's  so called 'Independent Vehicle Assessment' Report by company IVI of tyres @ 50%. NRMA said a NSW roadworthy possible via 'mate assessor', but he wouldn't have passed...
Now, engaged in price negotiations to cover extra $$ for tyres tyres needed for  Vic RWC & registration transfer
Thanks again
Make sure they put something decent on if you have to cough up for contribution towards tyres. Want at least equivalent of what's on now, Hankook, Kumho or Nexen. Sometimes in situations like this they chuck on some Diamondback or "happy sun" or some other chinese cheapie. Better still offer to pitch in an extra $100 or so if you can afford it for some Goodyears, Bridgestone  or Continentals which might be a bit quieter.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline chaosmagician

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
whats the price on this car?
  • 2013 i30 Elite Tourer Wagon CDRi - 1.6l Turbo Diesel

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Diamondbacks

:foottap: :TutTut: :Pout:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Diamondbacks

We all make mistakes :question:

I'm tracking Tyresales.com.au

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Diamondbacks

Someone's not happy    :lol:

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
The km of the car  are stored in 2 places.
In computer odometer
and in abs. They should match.

Only professional "hackers" change km stored in  the abs.
  • hyundai i30 1.4 crdi 2013

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Diamondbacks

On the contrary: A few years into Firty's ownership, the rear axle noise got so bad that I was convinced there was some serious joint wear issue, especially with passengers in the back. While I was using the OEM tyres and their direct replacements, this continued and I had resigned myself to facing some major replacement / repair bill in the future.

Lo and behold, one stormy night Mrs G is stuck with a flat tyre from the debris blown around by the storm and she 'signs up' to RACV service. The next day I book in for the Diamondbacks and, better than new, Firty is rolling in luxurious silence. Diamondbacks may be cheap, but they wear rounder than the Korean tyres! :victory: :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Diamondbacks

On the contrary: A few years into Firty's ownership, the rear axle noise got so bad that I was convinced there was some serious joint wear issue, especially with passengers in the back. While I was using the OEM tyres and their direct replacements, this continued and I had resigned myself to facing some major replacement / repair bill in the future.

Lo and behold, one stormy night Mrs G is stuck with a flat tyre from the debris blown around by the storm and she 'signs up' to RACV service. The next day I book in for the Diamondbacks and, better than new, Firty is rolling in luxurious silence. Diamondbacks may be cheap, but they wear rounder than the Korean tyres! :victory: :lol:

Yeah , can't wait for these nexen's to wear out .
I thought the same as you with the Chall & Bridgestone Duellers. My mechanic said all good mechanicaly , noise so bad, was thinking of  using earplugs !

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal