i30 Owners Club

Phone Mount - i30 SR

SamFNQ · 9 · 4793

Offline SamFNQ

• 1st Gear

• FNQ
I just joined the i30 club and am a little stuck when it comes to my phone.  I tried giving Apple CarPlay a chance, but Apple Maps still isn’t ready for regular use (shoutout to waze!)

As a result I’m looking to mount my phone, but the dash is so full of buttons and screens I don’t know where it can possibly go. I’ve had Brodit (ProClips) in the past, but on the SR they only offer a mount in front of the passenger.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

An alternative I was thinking of was getting an android phone and leave it connected to Android Auto as AA works with Waze.

Any input would be appreciated.
  • I30 SR

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hi, Sam, and welcome. I've got the first gen model so the dash crowding isn't really a problem, and I used the top pocket lid to house my permanently mounted GPS protected from direct sunlight. I'm also a big fan of Waze. It was a must for our time living in Indonesia!

I have toyed with alternative mounting and the vent mounts you see on eBay are one way for as low as $1, as is the magnetic mount. If you really get keen, you can swap out the head unit for an Android tablet and call the shots software wise.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The magnetic vent mounts are great, I bought a Spigen one from here :link: Car Mount Phone Holder Dock, Genuine Spigen Air Vent Magnetic for iPhone/ Galaxy | eBay there are copies on Ebay from $1 to $5 as well.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The magnetic vent mounts are great, I bought a Spigen one from here :link: Car Mount Phone Holder Dock, Genuine Spigen Air Vent Magnetic for iPhone/ Galaxy | eBay there are copies on Ebay from $1 to $5 as well.

I can vouch for the cheaper eBay Magnetic mounts (well the one I bought anyway). I use it with an older GPS when I travel on the mainland in rental cars.

BTW  :welcumwagon: Sam!

Your other idea is actually pretty good too. You can get an adequate Android phone for under $100 and then i guess just get the cheapest mobile plan you can with a small data allowance from someone like Kogan or Amaysim?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
You can get an adequate Android phone for under $100 and then i guess just get the cheapest mobile plan you can with a small data allowance from someone like Kogan or Amaysim?
No need for any ongoing cost. My $70 dual-sim Acer Android runs Maps.Me offline, updated as required from home WiFi. As well as GPS, it's my alarm clock and card game collection when I travel.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
You can get an adequate Android phone for under $100 and then i guess just get the cheapest mobile plan you can with a small data allowance from someone like Kogan or Amaysim?
No need for any ongoing cost. My $70 dual-sim Acer Android runs Maps.Me offline, updated as required from home WiFi. As well as GPS, it's my alarm clock and card game collection when I travel.

That's handy to know. Thanks Gonz  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline malaus1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Thornbury; Melbourne
Hi guys, haven't been around for a while.  I'm afraid I drive a Camry these days but keep across the Hyundai site from time to time & my Daughter in law drives a top of the range i30. Good car and does it go quick. I thought this web page might be of some assistance :link: APPS2CAR® Universal Car Cd Slot Mount Holder for iPhone Samsung Nokia Sony LG HTC Mobile GPS Devices 1456040 2018 ? .57     have one in the brute for my GPS. The mount works for both GPS or phone and mounts into the unused CD slot. My music is on a flash drive or streams from my phone.
 :goodjob2:
  • 2011 i30 SX, 2Ltr petrol Silver

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: malaus1
...mounts into the unused CD slot.
It'd be nice to have a CD slot :(
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline The Gonz