i30 Owners Club

2008 FD 65k miles Rattling on Idle, worse with increased revs.

Offline marabak

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Liverpool
Hi everyone. I know there is a very similar recent thread on a similar issue, and I agonised over making a new thread for my problem, but I justified it in the end by the idea that they might not necessarily be the same problem.

My 2008 FD SE petrol model has recently developed a loud rattling from the engine. I only noticed this earlier today and assumed at first that it was due to the cold temperature. However, as it isn't as loud inside the car and I normally have music/podcasts on, I can't guarantee that it has been around for a little longer. Car was serviced in September along with the MOT. I've had the car for around 3.5 years now. Around 65k miles on the clock, of which I've done the last 20k.

I first noticed the rattling sound after driving across the city to a supermarket (see first dropbox link). I recorded a video to send to my dad as I am pretty clueless with cars. He suggested testing the oil levels and colour, which were fine. After reading the other thread and some general Googling, I have just done a bit of testing that I can do in the dark. First the car starts from cold (around 0C here at the moment), runs at idle in neutral then with clutch depressed. I then increase the revs up to 2k which doesn't sound too different, but very loud rattling at 3k which sounds like stones on a baking tray or something. I haven't tested driving it but I can't really hear the rattle inside the car even at idle so not sure it would be detectable (and don't fancy leaving my phone under the bonnet and going for a spin). I haven't gone around the engine bay with a stethoscope but it sounds like the sound is coming from the top of the engine.

My thoughts based on Internet research are either a dodgy engine heat shield or oil issue, and in both scenarios I am likely to just take it to a garage to sort it out, but I'd just like to go in with a vague idea with the cause.

Some dropbox links to the sound:
Just at idle immediately following a 3 mile city drive.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bp3b32vr21fxb0g/VID-20180225-WA0001.mp4?dl=0

In the car park by my house just, car sitting cold for 5 hours or so, video starts at cold start, first tried idle in neutral, then with clutch depressed (30s), then increased revs to 2k (58s) then 3k (1m 4s). Times are approximate.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qq14u0g3rhhfyxl/VID-20180225-WA0016.mp4?dl=0

Cheers for any advice you guys can give before I take it to the mechanic.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qq14u0g3rhhfyxl/VID-20180225-WA0016.mp4?dl=0

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Did you ever find the cause of the noise, OP?
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline marabak

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Liverpool
Did you ever find the cause of the noise, OP?
Sorry, I haven't been on the forum in quite a while due to life problems and generally having a decent run with the car :D MOT and service day today though, and I have a dodgy gear box/clutch so I came back for reference.

With regards to the engine rattle, from memory the garage said that it came from the engine where it connected to the exhaust vent, which was a difficult and expensive repair and wasn't going to fall off any time soon, so with an impending wedding to pay for, I've left it for now. Still rattling these days, no better or worse.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal