i30 Owners Club

D1.6 Cylinder Head Gasket

Offline Sirromnel

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      BB87HF
Hi Everybody,

Simple question.  How hard is it to change the cylinder head gasket?  Not bothered about tools, timing belts, engine pin ups, or code reading as I am a retired mechanic and have most of the kit.  But, a down loaded manual tells me the engine must be removed for this operation.  Surely this cannot be true! 

Len

• Hyundai D1.6 TC!-u

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
 :wlcome01: Len,
well I can't say as have never had to .
but as your a retired mechanic. I would say take a close look at everything you can see has to come off to get the head off, while still in the car. if one thing looks a bit tight, you can bet that will be the barstard! ( there is always one barstard!! )
then look at what you need to do to drop the motor gearbox. there not as simple as the old rear wheel drive push rod motors. good luck with it.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Can't comment from experience but @Asterix  has had a head replacement so may know.

Reading the manual, it says for exhaust manifold, no engine removal. For timing chain , no engine removal. For intake, nothing highlighted. For HP Pump nothing either.

Fair chance this could be a typo because if you can remove all that other gear insitu then logic suggests the head can be done insitu also but  you'd be   more qualified to know this than I. :goodjob2:

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Yep, had the head replaced in 2016 on my 2008.

It's correct the manual say engine out, but it's not necessary. IIRC it's because the chain cover is not that easy to get off. The mechanic at the ex-Hyundai garage that did mine said it was a tight fit, but possible without engine removal.

Good luck with the operation..  :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Sirromnel

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      BB87HF
Hi Lakes,

Your reply made me smile!  Retired doesn't mean I'm locked into the dark ages.  Retired means that my full garage facilities can now be devoted to my own families vehicles.  Yes I do own a 1931 Austin 7, but last month slapped a clutch in my wife's RAV 4 which does require the engine and box out from below.  Apart from my Austin I haven't seen a 'push rod' motor for years!  Purpose of my question was to find the reason for the manuals saying it's an engine out job.  No point in spending a day spannering for lack of knowledge.

Regards'

Len   
  • Hyundai D1.6 TC!-u

Offline Sirromnel

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      BB87HF
Hi Asterix,

Thanks for that.  Now we are getting somewhere.  If that's the problem then I suspect it might be a case of slackening the engine mount bolts and bumping it sideways to get some clearance.  However, it can be done so you have answered my question.

Many thanks,

Len.
  • Hyundai D1.6 TC!-u

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal