i30 Owners Club

Rear brake servicing

Offline Grantwyllie

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Renfrewshire
Hi there I've been having intermittent problems with my rear brakes. I have a 2013 diesel router. At 37000 miles I had the rear discs and pads replaced when I had a knocking sound investigated.  Every 200 or so miles a loud knocking sound would appear, quite often when driving on the straight, and would disappear after 5 or so minutes. Rear nearside disc read hot. Dealers response, warped discs. I tried to argue fault find the cause but it was put down to wear and tear.
Now at 62000 miles and I have a intermittent running sound again from the rear on some downhill from braking and right hand turns . This time it's after 40 or so miles I.e. when brakes are warm.
My thought is the caliper is sticking so if like to strip and regrease the pads and pistons. Any guides on this as it seems a job I can do. I luckily have friends with experience of doing this but not on Hyundai.
Specifically on a 2013 can the piston just be pushed back in or does it need wound back.
Ate there any guides on removing the pads as some show clips others not. As I say I would not be attempting this alone but would like as much info as possible
  • 130 tourer

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Is it still just within warranty?

If so and as you have had replacement, was this by dealer?, then i would be asking them to investigate before doing any work.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Grantwyllie

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Renfrewshire
It's still within warranty til June. It was the dealership I took it to 2 years ago and argued that very fact but it was just put down to wear and tear. My alternative dealership is Arnold Clark....
Would they just say well that's another 30000 miles you've had so we will replace the discs again
  • 130 tourer

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
In my experience, warped discs have to be caused by something. Overheating generally or possibly by running through water while they are hot.
I'd be looking closely at the calipers and slides.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Brake service guide might help you, really nothing hard. I do it twice a year, 20000km, when changing winter/summer tires. I had it reccomended from the mostly inactive swedish hyundai forum.

Cars needs a good hard brake every once in awhile to let the rears work too, light braking uses the fronts.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline HyundaiOrphan

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW Southern Highlands
Hi,

Joined this Club because had troubles finding info on my 2012 Hyundai Accent diesel with manual transmission. seems that folk who buy Accents seldom work on their own cars, and the i30 diesel setup looks to be very similar.

Anyhows here's a link to how to DIY service on the Accent brakes which hopefully will be helpful

:link: Brakes Servicing, Pad Replacement 2012 Accent DIY - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

ns
  • 2012 Accent 5 Door Hatch, Diesel, 1.6 lt, Manual, Silver

Offline Grantwyllie

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Renfrewshire
Thanks everyone it's all been a great help!
  • 130 tourer

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal