i30 Owners Club

Front passenger door not opening from the inside

Offline DavidDavidson

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Belfast
My mother bought a 2010 i30 about four weeks ago, I've no idea if it was through a registered dealer or online from a previous owner, however since yesterday the passenger side door won't open from the inside though it works fine from the outside.
At first I thought it had a child lock and somehow that had been engaged, but there doesn't appear to be a physical front child lock, what made me think this was on starting the car the "passenger airbag off" light lit, then went out; however I have no idea if this happens every time the car is started, but it made me check the door and find that there were no front child locks but there were rear child locks and upon engaging one of the rear child locks and seeing how the handle felt, it felt exactly the same. Pulling the handle doesn't disengage the central locking switch, nor does it open the door, it feels as if it's been completely disconnected.
Is there a front child lock that works through electronic means rather than mechanical ones? I would assume I would feel something if the cable has snapped, which seems to be an issue with the i30; albeit all the posts refer to the driver's door handle and not the passenger one, though these posts seem to be about three years old and I assume the passenger door handle is used less often than the driver's one.

If there is no electronic child lock for the passenger side like I'm hoping; has anyone here replaced the cable themselves? I've checked the thread and it doesn't seem to be extremely involved; the only thing I would be concerned about would be the electric window as it looks like I would have to disconnect the motor and bolts to replace the cable, my main worry would be wrecking the electric window if I did it myself (financially my mother wouldn't be able to pay for it to be repaired; at least not at the quoted price of £200 (read it in a thread on here) for the entire locking mechanism to be replaced (again read that dealerships do that rather than just change out the broken cable) and since her previous (and very decent) mechanic retired it's not like I could get the cable online and she could bring it to her mechanic for him to put it in.

In short, if there is no electronic child lock for the passenger door and it is a snapped cable; has anyone here replaced one before and if so could they maybe let me know what to do and what not to do, the video posted on here gives me a general idea (I'll put the thread url below, I would link it but I'm posting with my phone and the insert link button doesn't seem to work) but a list of required tools and a rough how to would be handy.
As far as my technical aptitude goes, I've never really done much complex mechanic work on cars but did a fair bit of work on motorbikes when I was younger and have been taking things apart and putting them back together for as long as I can remember.

Cheers
-David
  • I30-2010

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
David, if you use the search facility there is a lot of info on the door no opening issue and the solutions.

Good luck

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Phew!  :welcome:

That's a hell of a long first post. No child lock on front doors so, I suspect, the cable is broken or has come adrift. I would be in the same boat as you in the same situation. I would be wanting to do it myself to save money, but aprehensive about stuffing something else. It is an awkward fix apparently, but doable. Like Asa says, do a series of searches on here and hopefully you will find any shortcuts or tips other have uncovered.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal