i30 Owners Club

Does my transmission have a filter?

Offline billy638

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
Hi guys,
I have a Hyundai i30 2011 FD CRDi diesel. She hit 81,000 miles, I think it's time for a transmission fluid change. I have two questions:
- Does my car have a filter? If so is this an easy DIY job dropping the pan, changing the filter and putting back the pan with the correct gasket?
- Because I am doing a change and not a flush, does it mean that I will have to change this oil more often than usual because I am diluting old fluid with new fluid? (change doesn't get all of it out)
Many thanks!
  • Hyundai i30 2011 FD HatchBack CRDi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi guys,
I have a Hyundai i30 2011 FD CRDi diesel. She hit 81,000 miles, I think it's time for a transmission fluid change. I have two questions:
- Does my car have a filter? If so is this an easy DIY job dropping the pan, changing the filter and putting back the pan with the correct gasket?
- Because I am doing a change and not a flush, does it mean that I will have to change this oil more often than usual because I am diluting old fluid with new fluid? (change doesn't get all of it out)
Many thanks!

It has a filter and it should simply pull off and clip back on.

There is no OEM gasket, they use FIPG or Form in place gasket AKA liquid gasket suitable for the application.

There will be aftermarket gaskets out there but if I were doing this I would use OEM sealant as one of mine had a valve body done and they used  "a gasket" and it weeps.

The OEM sealant if placed correctly will most likely never leak, Threebond

Please don't just drop fluid and refill. Get it flushed out or work out how to do it. there's likely older posts on this with some info and even a youtube or two.

You're prepared to go to the trouble of breaking the pan seal, replace the filter reseal the pan up and not flush? :crazy1:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline billy638

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
Thanks for the advice! I know but I heard from so many people that flushing can cause slipping. My transmission oil has a brown colour to it, which is really scaring me. I cannot risk having it flushed and then having it slip on me after a couple of miles. Why use an OEM sealant when you can get FIPG, which is what came with the car? And do you have a rough idea of how much it would cost if a dealer would do it? It seems like it needs a pro :confused:
Here this explains everything!
:link: Automatic Transmission Flush - Facts and Fictions, Reasons why transmissions fail - YouTube
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 00:21:53 by billy638 »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thanks for the advice! I know but I heard from so many people that flushing can cause slipping. My transmission oil has a brown colour to it, which is really scaring me. I cannot risk having it flushed and then having it slip on me after a couple of miles. Why use an OEM sealant when you can get FIPG, which is what came with the car? And do you have a rough idea of how much it would cost if a dealer would do it? It seems like it needs a pro :confused:

Your question about OEM Sealant makes no sense.

SOmething like this is very very good, made by threebond, used in many OEM boxes, like Toyota Mitsubishi etc and equivalent to what Hyundai used.

Cures quite quickly, I used this for a Mitsubishi box.

Please yourself about the flush. If the box is that bad a flush is going to stuff it , it's probably stuffed anyway. Personally I'd pump it out as per this video. That's what I have done and is also what the manual suggests.

If using the the inbuilt pump is going to stuff it then how do you think these boxes operate anyway?

When you are sitting there with it running the fluid is circulating, when you disconnect the lines instead of it returning to the sump it goes into the bucket as you add fresh fluid until it's all clean.

I'm not talking high pressure flushing or a machine flush, simply using the normal operation of the box to cycle the old stuff out.

I like this video

:link: 10 Min Automatic Transmission Fluid Flush + Replacement (Most Cars) - YouTube

Cost, no idea I DIY and to do a good job I'd say 8 - 10 lts will be used, capacity is about 6.6L, that's throughout the box, maybe 2 -2.5 l comes out on the drain so 66% of that filthy fluid stays in.

It's not cheap so why contaminate nice new fluid with all that other stuff

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'm watching that video which will be interesting, I've heard of these issues but i suspect more so in boxes that are so far gone past the fluid change .

Offline billy638

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
Sorry what do you mean by " If the box is that bad a flush is going to stuff it , it's probably stuffed anyway. "

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry what do you mean by " If the box is that bad a flush is going to stuff it , it's probably stuffed anyway. "

What Gerard is saying is that a flush would most likely only cause further damage if the gearbox had other major issues already and was near failing permanently.   :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal