i30 Owners Club

That Spooky Knocking

Offline Marakorpa

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour NSW
I have a 1998 AE101 Toyota Corolla Seca Hatch and have been chasing a knocking noise in the front end for several months.  I have tried several "experts" but each time I change a part the noise  is still there. :crazy1:

I have changed the rear swing arm rubbers, the front ????? Rubbers, both front wheel bearings and now the experts want me to replace the drive shafts.  I  have had CV problems before but they were more a clicking sound than this thud type knocking that is intermittent.  It is noticeable on long, out cambered corners most of all.
Some days it is nosier than others, some days it isn't even heard ad other days I can't hear the noise from my frustrated screaming and foul language.

Possibles: Ball Joints.  Stabilizer bar end joints.  Any other suggestions.

Most of the local experts say it is a matter of elimination...Eliminating money from my pocket to theirs.

Yes! I  know, it has 310,000k on the clock and shocks have never been changed.

At my age, 80 soon, I am a bit fearful of doing a long trip.

l
  • 1998 Toyota Corolla Seca hatch 6.1 AE101

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi Marakorpa, I guess you didn’t notice this was a Hyundai i30 forum though you may be lucky enough if someone on here has experience with Toyota Corolla’s.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Does say  Car related(any make any model) Maybe this site has been recommended by someone who has an i30.

Is there a Fulcrum rep in Coffs? have you tried them?

Knocks, the list could be long list.

Ball joints, sway bar links, worn out sway bar bushes, steering rack, strut mounts, struts, tie rod ends, loose sub frame bolts,

If nothing is obvious and it's safe, given the age of the vehicle and yours I'd be inclined to just tolerate it or empty your wallet .

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Does say  Car related(any make any model) Maybe this site has been recommended by someone who has an i30.
Yep, wasnt originally posted in this thread so I didnt even realise there was an any make or model section :snigger:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Yep, wasnt originally posted in this thread so I didnt even realise there was an any make or model section :snigger:

Nor did I,................

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline filmart

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi Marakorpa and everyone, I've just signed up as a new Hyundai I30 owner but with a long history of Toyota ownership.   

I've just traded a my last Toyota- a 2001 V6 Touring Wagon with 206,000 on the clock and in the past 5 years I had the suspension and air-conditioning fully renewed.  But it was worth every cent because I was spending between $1,000 and $2,000 annually on dealership or auto-electrician repairs with warranties and there was no effective depreciation on my car.  It was a joy to own.

You haven't said whether your car is manual or automatic and whether a gearbox or trans-axle is involved. 

I found there was always a balance of risk between me using trial and error to replace parts on a Toyota, because their systems are so interconnected.  So I stopped doing that and found a Toyota Dealer I could rely upon.

It sounds like you might be looking for mechanic to give you a reliable report for a fixed price.   I know there are always mechanics who provide cheaper services than Toyota, but with Toyota you always get genuine or approved parts and that is essential for steering, braking and suspension.

In Sydney where I live, it costs $159 to have a Toyota Dealer assess a problem and report.  I'm wondering whether you've had that done?  I have no experience of Toyota in Coffs Harbour but I once had an urgent repair done at Toyota in Grafton and they were fantastic. 

However I hear you when you write about maintenance costs.  After 25 years driving 6 Toyotas and 5 other makes, Ive switched to Hyundai - and I've just bought a current model i30.

Good luck with your troubleshooting - I wish you the best.
  • i30 Active MY2017 First registered Mar2018

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal