i30 Owners Club

Newer car with more mileage - or older with less

Offline ilovei30

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
Okey, so me and my wife are looking to buy an i30 tourer (station wagon) 2012-2017.
There is of course a budget that doesent alow us to buy the 2017 model but perhaps the 2016.

I don't care much for the premium packages or what not. We are looking for an 1.6 Diesel CRDI as I understand that one has the best economy, correct? Blue drive is not necesarry.

So apart from the fact that we'd love the newer grill and the LED tail lights (I know i could buy and replace the old ones myself), we wonder ...

Should we spend our money on a newer car with more milage? Say a 2016 with 100000 KM or a cheaper 2014 with perhaps 45000 KM?

ALSO ...

Are there any malfunctions or typical errors for the i30 tourer 2012-2017 that I should look out for?

Thank you! :)
  • i30 wagon

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
In my opinion, both should cost almost the same.
Drive them and see which feels better and pick that.
  • 2011 i30

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I think it would also depend on how much you will drive it, if its a typical swedish distance ~25kkm and both feels the same I would definatly go with the newer one, it still has 2 years of warranty still on it (5year unlimited distance), to keep your mind of anything that might break down.

I notice no big difference in ride/comfort in mine the last 50kkm, other than what I have done myself, tires, pressure etc. Mine has an all time average of 4.45l/100km over the 90kkm I have owned it for, so economy is good. Total of 11.5kr/mil (disregarding depreciation, tax deduction and travel rebates), 19kr/mil if I include them. I drive 40kkm/year, so that helps smear a lot of the costs out.

Brakes are a common item on them here I think, especially if they dont get a lot of use. mine are still good, lots left on them, but i service(lube etc) them every 20kkm. The salt and grime does its thing.

You should be able to knock the price down quite  a bit, I hear dealers have a hard time turning the diesels around with the current bans the politicans talking about.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline ilovei30

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
Thank you all for your answears.

Xiziz - As I understand it, the 1,6 CRDI of 2015+ are Euro 6 classed, I make the assumption that the Euro 6 won't be banned, however we drive past Gothenburg every day, so it is important for sure.

It's great to see that you get so much milage out of it, how often does it need to be serviced acc. to the book, and what does it cost at a Hyundai appr. facility?

The brakes you say, yes the salt is shit isent it, well it keeps us on the road I suppose. Buying in upper Sweden is an option though. :) Do you service the brakes yourself? If so, i'd love to get back to you once i (if i) own a Hyundai.

/ilovei30
  • i30 wagon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Personally I would try to get as new as you can afford. Being that the salt etc... takes its toll. Even if you have to stretch your budget in the short term you may make a saving in the long run by being able to keep it longer.

Is it possible to travel to Norway or Finland or other nearby counties to give yourself a larger choice of cars to choose from?

If it's only say 18 months old then surely the mileage won't be too high. Be nice to get something under say 60,000 kilometres.  :cool:   
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
More information is required, how did the newer one get the 100k up? Was it a delivery vehicle with lots of stopping and starting or a private vehicle with a long commute? How long/how many km per year are you intending to do?

I would be more inclined towards the newer one, so long as it wasn't a delivery vehicle, taxi or uber.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
@ilovei30 I thought only the blue drives got Euro6? Nah, the talking of bans are pressing prices down on all diesels as no one knows whats really going to happen from what I understand. I take the train when I need to go into the bigger cities, so Im not too concerned.

I bought mine two years old with 6400km on the clock. I do the brakes when switching summer/winter tires: :link: HOW TO: Brake service - Glide pins and cleaning

Beerman raises a good point, dont buy a delivery/uber etc vehicle, odds are its worn out.

@Dazzler Imports mostly come from germany here, but its quite a hassle and lots of paperwork and not a lot to save(but you can get some different models, like the i20 coupe unavailible in Sweden)

Im sure you will be happy with the I30 though, my top complaint is the display off button for the radio, that even when turned off lights the screen up every time you change volume etc. Only thing I miss from my previous cars is the seats from my mercedes.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Whilst not knowing the ins and outs of the particular banning of diesel debate, It would take a Government with considerable guts (and majority) to impose a financial penalty on a large group of people without either having a generous buy back or ruling a line and stopping new vehicles being sold from a date well in the future.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal