i30 Owners Club

IPhone Drops Bluetooth Connection

Offline Vivalazuzu

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Sydney
Hi All,

I have the 2013 3dr i30 as some of you may be aware. I have recently received a work phone (iPhone SE) and have a Samsung Galaxy S8 (Personal Phone)

I have an issue where the IPhone drops out when playing music and have pointed out some things below:
 - IPhone SE, playing music through the Bluetooth works for about a 40 minutes, then the connection drops out.
 - The IPhone will then reconnect and continue to play music only to drop out again after a short period of time.
 - If i am listening to the Radio, phone connected to the Bluetooth, it never drops out, not once. i can even speak to someone on the phone, without it dropping out.
 - Samsung Galaxy never drops out.

Troubleshooting Steps I have taken:

- Updated the IPhone firmware
 - disconnected, de-registered the device from the Car Stereo, as well as deleted and "forgot" the i30 device from the phone.
 - tried formatting the phone and the issue still continues.

I am hoping someone here has heard of this and might have a solution for it.

Look forward to hearing from you :)

Regards,
Joseph
  • 2013 GD 3 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, 6spd Manual, Silver

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I never had a Bluetooth issue with mine in the time I used the original head unit over 4 years though I've never used an SE model iPhone, my 4S and 7plus worked without problems.

Do you have another Bluetooth device in the vehicle at the same time when this happens? if another previously paired device is trying to connect it may possibly cause the SE to drop out :undecided:

Late last year I upgraded the factory head unit with a GD-03 unit which has also been fine bar a small issue with carplay music that is currently being looked into by Apple support but other than that all is fine.

Offline Vivalazuzu

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Sydney
There are no other devices in the car at the time connected to Bluetooth.

hmm... i might ask Hyundai tomorrow (dropping off for 75K Service) and see if they have heard of anything like this before.

Maybe they will upgrade my head unit ;)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If you've had the vehicle serviced regularly at Hyundai then I doubt there will be any firmware updates for the unit, after mid 2014 there were no further updates for the GD-01 unit, though Hyundai should be able to re-install the firmware in hope that it cures the problem.

It could also be related to later iPhone firmware not being fully compatible with an older Bluetooth format, or the phone itself is failing :undecided: my guess would be that Hyundai will state exactly that...which will then mean you'll have to raise a bug report with Apple.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Do you mean the music interrupts only for a couple of seconds every now and then - like a buffering issue or do you lose full connection of bluetooth so cannot even make a call?

Offline Vivalazuzu

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Sydney
@pidim - i lose full connection of the IPhone.. it drops out completely, then reconnects minutes later..

Hyundai had no idea what it could be.. and you are right @CraigB there was no update to the head unit.

I had a loan car for the day, and played some music, but not long enough for it to drop out.. very bizarre.. i should be getting a work vehicle soon so it isn't too much of a hassle/issue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It’s a shame I didn’t keep the new unit Hyundai replaced on mine when the original blew up, I tried selling it locally for $20 and after months of no response it ended up in the bin.

Offline Vivalazuzu

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Sydney
$20!!!! Are you Serious!!??

Damn it!! If only.. I don't know how long ago you were selling as I may not have had this car then or been apart of this forum.. but if I was...

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
$20!!!! Are you Serious!!??

Damn it!! If only.. I don't know how long ago you were selling as I may not have had this car then or been apart of this forum.. but if I was...
Was only a few months ago it got binned, needed to make space and after no enquiries out in the trash it went.

TBH you would be better off grabbing a second hand GD-03 unit from the wreckers, only about $300 delivered, plug n play in 40 minutes  :)

Offline Vivalazuzu

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Sydney
Very tempting!!!! :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal