i30 Owners Club

1.6 CRDI 2015 - just bought it; extra work at 80k service

Offline philly_uk

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
I am about to pick up my i30 1.6 CRDI BlueDrive 110 HP (2015, 78.5k miles) and take it for the 80k miles service. Apart from all the required checks I am planning to ask for some extra work to be done, i.e.:
- rotate the tyres, if necessary, and balance the wheels
- clean the air-con system
- clean EGR
- change gearbox oil (gear lever is a bit notchy when shifting out of 5th gear).

Do you think all these extras are worth doing, more as precautionary work, due to mileage of the car, as there is nothing clearly wrong with how it drives at the moment?
Is I have this service done at an idependent garage, will that keep the warranty valid?
What do I have to do after buying the car (from a dealership) to register myself as the new owner with Hyundai UK?
  • 1.6 CRDI Blue Drive SE 110 HP 2015

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
If you are planning to stop at some stage, check brake pad wear and fluid condition (water content).
I doubt that gearbox oil is necessary. The notchy change is more likely clutch travel. Get that checked, we have discussion on it if you do a search.

Indy garage with EXPERIENCED mechanics is a wise option. Local members will know about warranty,
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome,

I would ask when you collect the car if they are advising Hyundai of the change of ownership. I would imagine this would be an easy thing for a dealer to do.

Obviously continued warranty cover is also dependent on whether the car still has the service book and if it has been validated with service stamps as per the required service intervals. Have you confirmed this. If so, ensure that the Indy mechanic uses the correct filters and oils etc and stamps the book also. You can generally save some money by sourcing and buying on special the necessary filters and oils and then just paying for labour (keep the receipts). There are plenty of discussions on here about doing that.

The benefit of this is not only a cost saving but you can often get better oils than a dealership or indy will use for less than they would have charged you. A win/win situation.  :victory:

Good luck with the new car and congratulations! :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline philly_uk

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
What are the standard manufacturer's tyres on this model and spec (1.6 CRDI SE BlueDrive)? Is it 195/65 R15 H Hankook Kinergy Eco? It seems that the car I bought still has the original tyres. The tread seems OK, it passed MOT but how could these tyres last nearly 80k miles? I thought tyres are no good after about 20k max.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
They have been replaced. You will find a number = year, on the sidewall
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whsaid:

Whoever replaced them may have just got the same tyres as were on the car originally. Being a bluedrive they could very well have been Hankook Eco tyres originally. I have got nearly 80,000 kilometres out of a set of tyres (50,000 miles) and some of our members have got even more.

Offline philly_uk

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
The date on them is 06/2015 - the same as registration date of the car. Unless I read it wrong

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
All extra work would be fine. Personally I woud not do the egr cleaning. I cleaned my with lower mileage and it was in pretty good shape. I plan to do it  at 200tkm, or 120t miles in your case. Of course it depends how the car has been driven, but in my case the egr cooler was more dirtier than the actual valve. If you decide to do it anyway, it might be good to clean the intake manifold as well. In my case it looked like the intake would be the dirtiest as egr gasses go in there through the cooler. Plan to do that also when egr is coming off if I still have the same car.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
When my i40 went to the highway in the sky I had done 65k on my tyres. Would have gotten close to 100k I reckon.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline philly_uk

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
The Kwik-Fit garage which is about to do the service of my car mentioned that the manufacturer's guidelines recommend replacing the pollen filter and coolant every 20k miles, so they suggested they do it as part of the 80k-mile service.
Does anyone know for sure if these replacements are required by Hyundai to maintain warranty? I do not really want to pay for them if they are not necessary.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The pollen filter wouldn't be likely to affect the warranty. These are cheaper to buy online usually and easy to check and fit yourself at any time. Think there are instructions on how to check and change in the manual or you can find info on here as well.

There is also info on the Coolant available on here it depends on the colour and condition of the coolant as to whether it needs changing that often. Obviously it depends also when it was last changed. That one is more likely to affect warranty if there is an engine issue associated with the coolant. But again this is probably unlikely.

I will wait for others to comment further on identifying whether the coolant needs changing.  :cool:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's handy to know thanks Trevor!  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal