i30 Owners Club

2017 PD i30 DCT Issue

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Hi all,

Never thought I'd have to post this, but we're starting to have some trouble with out 2017 i30 SR 1.6 DCT

It's happened three times now.

My partner was slowing down to enter a roundabout when it wouldn't engage again to pick up speed.

My partner isn't 100% sure but doesn't think the car's rpm's were increasing when he accelerated.

After releasing the accelerator and repeating one or two more times, it finally got power, picked a gear and has work fine since.

Has anyone had this issue?

Between my Santa Fe and the i30 and both being our first auto cars... Not impressed. I miss having a manual.

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

My partner was slowing down to enter a roundabout when it wouldn't engage again to pick up speed.

My partner isn't 100% sure but doesn't think the car's rpm's were increasing when he accelerated.

:undecided:
It would seem that you are only assuming it is the transmission...."partner isn't 100% sure.... "

He was accelerating but car's rpm's were not increasing.  :wacko: ????? Was he idling in Neutral down a hill ?  :cool:

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
True, it is assumption, that's why I just wanted to see if someone has had a similar issue.

He applied the brake to slow down, then accelerated and no power. Foot taken off the accelerator, then tried accelerating. No power, foot off accelerator, then tried again and finally picked a gear and kept going.

I did stress that he needs to take more note of when it happens.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Maybe means :
Moved accelerator,  but no change in engine revs. 
Engine revs changed after a couple of tries.
Are these "fly-by-wire" ?

Hard to be observant when you're going WTH !!   :D
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Dean, Nothing like that in first 31K but i have no reason to doubt your partner (it is easy to have self doubt in these situations).

I'd be getting it thoroughly checked at next service. Don't suppose it has thrown any error codes via Autolink. That would be too easy. :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Pappy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Sydney
Hi,

Yeah, have had this happen twice when slowing down to merge into a highway lane, trying to then accelerate to complete the merge, the engine revs but nothing happens, seems to be in neutral/no gear engaged, I've instinctively moved the gear leaver right/left (to go between Drive/Manual) and then the gear engages. A bit scary when it happens. I've put it to down to the DCT's idiosyncrasies/confusion. This is my first auto too, miss the manual too!
  • MY18 PD SR Premium (Polar White)

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I haven't linked it up since I got my new phone. I'll link it and see what happens
Hi Dean, Nothing like that in first 31K but i have no reason to doubt your partner (it is easy to have self doubt in these situations).

I'd be getting it thoroughly checked at next service. Don't suppose it has thrown any error codes via Autolink. That would be too easy. :crazy1:

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Hi,

Yeah, have had this happen twice when slowing down to merge into a highway lane, trying to then accelerate to complete the merge, the engine revs but nothing happens, seems to be in neutral/no gear engaged, I've instinctively moved the gear leaver right/left (to go between Drive/Manual) and then the gear engages. A bit scary when it happens. I've put it to down to the DCT's idiosyncrasies/confusion. This is my first auto too, miss the manual too!
Hmm sounds the same.

Thanks for the tip about manually dropping a gear.

We'll book it in to be checked.

Technology, great when it works, can't beat the simplicity of a manual transmission.

Offline Pappy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Sydney
Agreed regarding manual transmissions.

Let us know how you get on with the dealer.
  • MY18 PD SR Premium (Polar White)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi,

the engine revs but nothing happens, seems to be in neutral/no gear engaged,

Thanks that's a succinct explanation. It may fit with elantraelite's circumstance

@Pappy thanks for your input, however, we have smooth operating transmissions ('fluid' auto and DCT ) in our advanced technology there is no room for "the DCT's idiosyncrasies/confusion."  Go to your dealer and get the fault fixed.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:25:55 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Technology, great when it works, can't beat the simplicity of a manual transmission.

That's what they said about synchromesh gears in 1928.
 want to drive a  Ford Model T?

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria

Probably not...

But after owning 5 manual cars... None never had a transmission problem over the 800,000km travelled across all of them...

Our family first two autos having travelled 50,000km between them.. so it's disappointing.

Best car I ever owned was still my old X3 Excel. Treated it like crap and it just kept going.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Probably not...

But after owning 5 manual cars... None never had a transmission problem over the 800,000km travelled across all of them...

Our family first two autos having travelled 50,000km between them.. so it's disappointing.

Best car I ever owned was still my old X3 Excel. Treated it like crap and it just kept going.

Speaking of which Dean.. Someone's signature text needs a major update.  :winker:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
From early chats with Dean, I know he has a prejudice toward 'automatic transmissions'. I think I talked him round ...briefly.  :mrgreen:

There are essentially two auto systems: fluid driven and dry clutch (DCT).
The fluid/torque convertor transmission has been around for decades. It is in virtually every taxi in the USA and Oz. No problems, but not as sporty as a manual box.
I worked for the Dutch Philips company; by 1970, our entire fleet of service vehicles were automatic because of reliability and the absence of clutch renewal.

The DCT is the new boy on the block (comparatively speaking) overall it performs well and has the same or better power transfer as the manual box.
However, there were early issues in the USA where it appears the Tuscon and Santa Fe were suddenly 'in Neutral'.

I have an 80,000km 2015 GD, with DCT. The clutch engagement motors are rattling, but it performs perfectly. :link: Dual Clutch (DCT) Noise

Now Dean before you say  "that proves it all"  :crazy2: , as much as I searched, I could only find one other example. As I posted , the owner in the USA told me Hyundai had replaced his transmission twice.

If it gives you some comfort Dean, on the DCT reliability issue, I remain with a foot on each side of the barbed wire fence.  :scared:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 23:32:59 by nzenigma »

Offline ricleo

• 2nd Gear

• sg Singapore

• 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4T, Auto, Black
this "issue" occurs in Singapore as well from my own experience, and also from owners giving feedback on a local forum and facebook page.

i only experience it in a very specific set of circumstances. during moving off, when i am very light on the throttle, gear engages 1, 2, and if you lift off the accelerator at this point, the DCT doesnt know what to do, and that's where that feeling of neutral happens. accelerate and no power. The DCT probably thinks, ok driver lifted off. prepare to downshift to gear 1. howerver we accelerate again, and it has to move and find gear 3 instead, and that takes time.

most of the time i step on the accelerator firmly, so the above scenario seldom happens to me, only twice so far in 6000km of ownership

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thankyou ricleo, great, your input is informative and a rational explanation of what is occurring.  :goodjob2:

:judges:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Guess I've been lucky. I haven't experienced this even once in 32,000 kilometres.   :Touch:

Offline ricleo

• 2nd Gear

• sg Singapore

Guess I've been lucky. I haven't experienced this even once in 32,000 kilometres.   :Touch:

haha the harder I drive the car and transmission, the less likely this situation happens :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

haha the harder I drive the car and transmission, the less likely this situation happens :)

Yeah, I guess I don't baby her...  :victory:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I thought of the DCT video from the auto bloke that Dazz posted a while back. It explained the transmission to me and how the transmission preselects the next gear with the second clutch and if you do something different it takes some time to adjust. This is why on occasion the transmission may take a second or so to workout what is happening.

Especally when you are on the brake and it expects the that it will have to change down a gear and then you jump on the gas. In this situation jumping on and off the gas may not be the best way to help the transmission make a decision on what it should do.

Not saying there isn't a problem though 

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
One would think that there should be no delay, electronically, decisions are made in nano seconds.

Isn't this why we are kept safe by predictive cruise and braking and have ethical choices made for us when we need to run down the granny or the cripple on a pedestrian crossing.  :whistler:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I remember the paper plates. There can be a slight delay when the computer prediction is wrong...
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I remember the paper plates.

Sorry mate   :undecided: Pauline needs a Please Explain

I agree with Gerard, he feels that a software upgrade is probably needed.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think beerman is referring to how Auto Expert explained how the system worked with paper plates...

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

I think beerman is referring to how Auto Expert explained how the system worked with paper plates...

Ok thanks Dazz,  silly me, logical explanation.  :undecided:

Offline rjl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hi Guys, Sorry to add another topic to this issue but its been bugging me for awhile in regards to the DCT as well. For any PD SR owners out there with the DCT. Do guys hear a slight rattling noise around the transmission shiftier when accelerating. From what I've observed it's audible from about 60KM  - 80KM when your accelerating. I'm just finding it a little weird and worrying coming from a kia with the same DCT its weird hearing that noise.
  • 2018 PD2 Hyundai I30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Guys, Sorry to add another topic to this issue but its been bugging me for awhile in regards to the DCT as well. For any PD SR owners out there with the DCT. Do guys hear a slight rattling noise around the transmission shiftier when accelerating. From what I've observed it's audible from about 60KM  - 80KM when your accelerating. I'm just finding it a little weird and worrying coming from a kia with the same DCT its weird hearing that noise.

I certainly haven't noticed a noise, but I  have to admit my hearing is poor.  :undecided:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 I would be inclined to look for something tapping near to the shifter. It is quite remote from the transmission.

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Hi again,

Well it happened again. Definitely a DCT issue. Stopped at the lights, went to take off the engine just revved and didn't move. Turned the car off and back on and it was fine.

Quite dangerous given my son was in the back seat and the person behind almost hit us!

Time to take this piece of crap to Hyundai to sort out!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:eek: :Pout: :crazy1: :disapp:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal