i30 Owners Club

2016 i30 Tourer engine braking

Offline Sharpie

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Just purchased 2016 i30 Tourer Wagon.
User Manual indicates that the engine could rev at high speed when rapidly accelerating at low vehicle speed. Also that if you release your foot from the accelerator pedal at low vehicle speed you may feel strong engine brake. I am experiencing both these effects, ie high engine revs and strong engine braking but it is happening all the time when accelerating from slow speed and the engine braking effect is happening when the car is into 3rd and 4th gear and stays braking even when I reach speeds of 60 kph.  The gears just will not shift up soon enough.
This doesn't seem normal to me. Is it the way I am driving the car or is there something amiss with the auto transmission?  Anyone else gave this problem? Is it just the way the auto works on this model?

• 2015 Hyundai i30 Tourer Wagon

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Just purchased 2016 i30 Tourer Wagon.
User Manual indicates that the engine could rev at high speed when rapidly accelerating at low vehicle speed. Also that if you release your foot from the accelerator pedal at low vehicle speed you may feel strong engine brake. I am experiencing both these effects, ie high engine revs and strong engine braking but it is happening all the time when accelerating from slow speed and the engine braking effect is happening when the car is into 3rd and 4th gear and stays braking even when I reach speeds of 60 kph.  The gears just will not shift up soon enough.
This doesn't seem normal to me. Is it the way I am driving the car or is there something amiss with the auto transmission?  Anyone else gave this problem? Is it just the way the auto works on this model?
I'm unfamiliar with this series bu does it have different modes? Sports Mode for example? It's a traditional Auto?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Sharpie

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Yes it has Sports Mode, I should check if that mode is engaged (not on purpose) maybe that causes the extended braking? I will check this and report further
  • 2015 Hyundai i30 Tourer Wagon

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Yes it has Sports Mode, I should check if that mode is engaged (not on purpose) maybe that causes the extended braking? I will check this and report further
Could be, sports mode traditionally sensitises the shift points in relation to the throttle. SO the bias would be to down shift with less throttle input and upshift later holding the gears longer and these days they have all sorts of logic that can determine whether to hold the gear as you lift off up a hill slightly etc.

Boxes these days have  "Fuzzy Logic" or it would learn your driving style and adapt the shift points . The 3rd generation magnas I had were pretty good in second guessing whetehr to hold a gear or not.

Hopefully I'm not talking too much rubbish.

I'm trying to understand the extended braking bit though, normally coasting in an auto it would not feel too severe unless the torque convertor was in lockup mode.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Adding to tw2005's questions is this a diesel or 1.6ltr petrol, would be beneficial if you could add more details to your signature.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Is it the diesel with the 7 speed DCT?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Is it the diesel with the 7 speed DCT?

I was wondering that, as you and Eddie have both reported a bit of this behaviour in your i40 DCTs...

I think it was worse in Eco mode wasn't it? Seems like normal mode is the best if that is the case with this Tourer.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Yeah normal is better, performance I can't really comment on, because for some reason it needs to be selected every time you start the car, and who can remember to do that.

Economy seems to kick the car back quicker down hill for some reason, and I have noticed no change in economy since changing to the normal mode.  The automated manual transmission chooses to use the engine as a brake downhill, just as you would in a manual vehicle. Sometimes it is a little extreme and I double tap the paddle to shift up, but I am mostly used to it now and given the number of comments on here, is normal for the transmission.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Having been in Eddie's i40 DCT I can definitely say the DCT is better in the new PD i30 (smarter calibration). Eddie liked mine better too when he drove it.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal