• HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not much traffic so it seems like it would have been just easy to go around without any fuss, are these people just looking for something to whinge about :whistler:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Bout time too - this has been the law for quite some time now.

It gets my goat seeing traffic trundling along in lane 2, overtaking nothing at all, just because it's there to hog.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Not much traffic so it seems like it would have been just easy to go around without any fuss, are these people just looking for something to whinge about :whistler:

In the UK it is an offence to under-take a vehicle. Middle lane hoggers encourage other drivers to undertake which is dangerous because it is unexpected.  Even worse are those drivers who hog the outside lane even though the other lanes are clear to move into.

(You would have expected the police to get themselves a better dash cam though).
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

In the UK it is an offence to under-take a vehicle. Middle lane hoggers encourage other drivers to undertake which is dangerous because it is unexpected.  Even worse are those drivers who hog the outside lane even though the other lanes are clear to move into.

(You would have expected the police to get themselves a better dash cam though).
I see :hatoff: far right lane is for overtaking here but many just sit in there like miss daisy so we're use to overtaking on either side, no use complaining about it either or road rage takes over and some idiot will run ya off the road :disapp:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I see :hatoff: far right lane is for overtaking here but many just sit in there like miss daisy so we're use to overtaking on either side, no use complaining about it either or road rage takes over and some idiot will run ya off the road :disapp:
So is undertaking a legal move?

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
So is undertaking a legal move?
Well we are supposed to overtake on the right but I don't believe there is a law that says you cant overtake on the left, it's just courtesy.

Undertaking isn't part of our road rules vocabulary that I've heard, it doesn't matter which side you're passing on it's still overtaking :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think "undertaking" is what might happen if you try to pass on the left and they don't see you...  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Barbarulo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2018 SR Premium PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6 "Blue"
WA briefly had a law that required staying in the left lane unless overtaking when there were signs saying so - so highways mostly. It went out when the road rules were nationally aligned.
  • 2018 SR Premium PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt turbo DCT, Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We have a lot of keep left unless overtaking signs in Tassie. I don't think it is strictly legal down here to pass on the left unless a car has moved to the right lane to turnout. I avoid passing on the left if I can as it is definitely riskier.  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
NSW is big on keeping left unless overtaking.
Plenty of signs reminding drivers.

Same law in Qld but they only put the signs on the left hand side of the road.
Which is sort of like preaching to the converted.  :crazy1:

Found this for Qld.

Keeping left and overtaking
Keeping left
On single-lane roads, you must stay as close as practical to the left side of the road.

On multi-lane roads, if the posted speed limit is 90km/h or more, or if the road has a ‘keep left unless overtaking’ sign, you must not drive in the right-hand lane unless you are:

overtaking
turning right
making a U-turn
avoiding an obstruction
driving in congested traffic
using a special purpose lane that you are allowed to be in.
Drivers are allowed to overtake on the left on all multi-lane roads.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
 :-[

I think my nuts are getting a bit rusty.  :faint:

Offline Barbarulo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2018 SR Premium PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6 "Blue"
Oh, turns out the same in WA. Obviously national. Thought it had been scrapped when they standardised the rules, but obviously went the other way!
  • 2018 SR Premium PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt turbo DCT, Blue

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Oh, turns out the same in WA. Obviously national. Thought it had been scrapped when they standardised the rules, but obviously went the other way!
Don't count on all the rules being standardized.
They're supposed to be but variances keep cropping up.
Fog light laws only came into force up here a few years ago.
And a young People plater driving through Armidale with her parents was booked because her PPlates were on the glass. Allowable in Qld but have to be below the glass in NSW.
Cops attitude was that'll teach you to check interstate laws before you drive down here.
RACQ took up her case but I didn't hear the result.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
This is the rule that’s relevant to what was referenced in relation to freeway/hwy driving :)

Quite obvious you wouldn’t overtake on left on single lane roads.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
This is the rule that’s relevant to what was referenced in relation to freeway/hwy driving :)

That was my point. I understood from the UK posts that "undertaking" on multilane roads was illegal, whereas at least in Qld, it's OK.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

That was my point. I understood from the UK posts that "undertaking" on multilane roads was illegal, whereas at least in Qld, it's OK.
Legal here too, if it weren't the cop that passed me on the left yesterday (two lane road) is in the shit :D

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Legal here too, if it weren't the cop that passed me on the left yesterday (two lane road) is in the shit :D
:goodjob:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I think it is crazy to have different driving rules between Australian States. They should be standardised. It must be a nightmare for  you.

In the UK we have standardised rules throughout the country. The only people who are exempt are many BMW/Audi drivers and Gypsy travellers who, it seems, own the roads and are allowed to do as they like.     :spitty:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I think it is crazy to have different driving rules between Australian States. They should be standardised. It must be a nightmare for  you.

In the UK we have standardised rules throughout the country. The only people who are exempt are many BMW/Audi drivers and Gypsy travellers who, it seems, own the roads and are allowed to do as they like.     :spitty:
It's not as bad as it seems, Alan.
Most are the same. It's really only a few small variances.

However, BMW. / Audi rules are the same here as over there.  :crazy1:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
If I want to pass,  I go around,  left or right don't care.
In my youth the shoulder, usually dirt, was often used as an overtaking lane regardless of wether in car or on bike .   :mrgreen:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I understood from the UK posts that "undertaking" on multilane roads was illegal

Correct

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal