My New Pocket Knife

AlanHo · 15 · 2834

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Ever since I were but a lad, and a boy scout ter-boot - I have always carried a small pocket knife.

Later in life I developed a preference for Swiss army knives and have had various models over the years. The latest one being The Explorer.

Coincidental with becoming a Swiss Army Knife fan many years ago - I developed a fetish for keeping the blades literally razor sharp. ( I couldn't afford a fetish in my early years).

Regular sharpening, honing and leather stropping wears the blades down to the point where the end and cutting edge are exposed when folded - a danger you don't want in a trouser pocket so close to your dangly bits. Hence the knives get replaced every few years.

We were flying home from Zurich a few days ago and had got to the airport early. To kill time I did something I rarely do - browsed all the shops in and around the duty free, one of which was a Victorinox Swiss army knife shop.  I first saw this shop 2 or 3 years ago on a previous trip through Zurich and was then rather taken aback.

If I was to try and get through security at almost any airport with a knife in my pocket - it would be confiscated and in the USA I would get flagged on their system as a potential terrorist. In Zurich airport, you can check in with, and buy, a Swiss Army Knife knife with a maximum blade length of 15 cms and take it on the plane. Knives of other manufacture are excluded. The Victorinox assistant, when questioned by me, said "Sir, I can assure you it is not a problem, The Swiss government looks after its industries"

So I am now the proud owner of a new Explorer Swiss Army Knife.  I just spent an hour sharpening both blades to a razor edge.

My dangly bits are much relieved - the old knife was getting risky.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 13:52:46 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Great story, Alan, and with just the right touch of sophisticated humour.

Here's what my brother bought me for my birthday last month:

:link: SIGNAL® Stainless ? Leatherman Tools Australia
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Nice tool - but hardly suitable for a trouser pocket ........... :goodjob:

My wife has a similar unbranded one in her rusty tool box. Yes she has kept her old rather basic toolbox - it came from the time her previous husband died and she lived alone for some years.

I came along, we married and I now do most of the DIY - but she still does some  small jobs when my back is turned or I am out.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Quite a long time ago a friend gave me his old Leatherman because one of the elements was broken.  I went online to read up on what had been gifted to me and saw 'Lifetime Guarentee'.  So after an online chat with their rep I parcelled up the knife/multitool and sent it back.
A few days later a brand new multi-tool arrived with a leather pouch and they had upgraded me to the one next up in their range.
When next I met the guy and showed him the new BETTER one, he was furious with himself for being a dummy  :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

To add to my original post.

My new Swiss Army Knife (SAK) provides me with instant access to the following tools :-

Can Opener – great when camping. But we never go camping.
Small flat screwdriver – regulary used for levering things apart as well as light screwing
Philips screwdriver – occasional use when too lazy to get a proper one from my shed.
Large blade – regular usage for carving and cutting up stuff
Scissors – great for trimming finger and toe nails. Will even cut my big toenails which are very thick
Small blade – see large blade.
Magnifying glass – Used to read the very fine print on goods when shopping
Bottle opener – rarely used. I don’t buy drinks with crimped tops
Small screwdriver – useful for electrical plug fitting when too lazy to fetch a proper one from the shed.
Wire stripper – I haven’t found this yet. I usually use my teeth after cutting round the insulation with a blade.
Reamer – great for bodging and reaming new holes in leather belts. I never wear a belt
Sewing eye – another tool I cannot identify. Perhaps it’s the hole in the reamer.
Corkscrew – now your talking – a great aid.
Mutipurpose Hook – a tool for hooking mutipurposes. I will find a need for it one of the days
Key ring – I removed it – keys get in the way when using the SAK for various purposes
Toothpick – very handy for those who have teeth. Not ideal for removing wax from ears
Tweezers – too lightweight for plucking whiskers from top of ears – or anywhere else

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Nice knife Alan :goodjob2: my aunt bought me back from Switzerland a Swiss Army Knife for my 9th birthday which I cherished and used for nearly everything it could do for around 20 years or more till it eventually fell apart, I was surprised it lasted as long as it did with some of the tasks I'd put it through, just about every tool on it was worn down or snapped by the time I'd finished with it :)

Was one of the large tools like pictured here

I've also just recently added to my knife collection two custom Huntex Edge blades, the more decorative blade is 250 times folded cold forged Japanese 440c steel with Buffalo horn handle, the second blade is 256 times folded Damascus steel with camel bone handle, both have beautiful custom bridge file work and the blades are as sharp as they look :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Interesting thread Alan. I can't relate to owning a Swiss army knife, but I can to having my dangly bits relieved.  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I have one somewhere. (Swiss Army Knife).
My daughter brought it back for me on one of her early trips to Europe.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Got a Leatherman on my key ring, quite handy and small enough to put in my pant pocket that female do not mistaken that I am happy to see them.
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :evil: :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Alan.... what method do you use to sharpen your blades ?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Just wave past her in doors as her sharp tongue will work a treat

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
With regards to sharpening...  I am amazed that your stropping them alan.  My multi-tool blades are deadly sharp when they arrived, and proved to be so by the deep lacerative wound to the index finger of my left hand 'Oouch' . followed by ten minutes of firm compression to avoid a trip to A&E.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

this sort of stuff. :link: Grit Knife Sharpening Sharpeners Water Stone Dual Whetstone 1000/4000 3000/8000 | eBay

Plus I sometimes finish with some ultra fine superpolishing strip, a mate who worked in a high precision toolmaking company acquired a few years back. I use a sheet of thick glass to clamp it to, in order to ensure a dead flat surface.

I always use a light oil when sharpening knives and work through the grades from coarse to finest, one after the other, holding the knife at an angle of less than 15 degrees depending on the knife and what it is used for. I find it better to be gentle with the pressure. On a whetstone or diamond block "cut" on the forward stroke to avoid the edge from developing a microscopic burr. You can't do that easily when using paper or plastic backed sharpening and honing sheets or strip materials.

I finish with using a cut throat razor leather strop - I have been known to put Brasso on it.

The test is to take a sheet of 80 gm printing paper and cut down it without sliding the blade across the thickness of the paper with a slicing action. If it cuts the paper cleanly without it snagging on the blade so you hardly need to apply any pressure - it's sharp enough.

It's a labour of love and very therapeutic for me. It lasts longer and gives you a bigger "kick" than sex. (so people tell me) :rofl:

Our kitchen knives are so sharp, my wife is frightened of them. The slightest slip can give you a very nasty cut.

The one thing I don't enjoy sharpening is scissors. I find them quite difficult.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
This post now make me want to get the new Leatherman Surge.
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal