i30 Owners Club

i30 won't start after key fob change

Offline sofiyanski

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
Hello,

I would like to apologize in advance if this is not a new topic, but I couldn't find any help :(. I changed the key fob with new one. The key itself is the original including all electronics inside the fob. Now after replacement, the remote works just fine and locks/unlocks the car, it cranks, but it won't start.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks very much
  • Hyundai i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hello,

I would like to apologize in advance if this is not a new topic, but I couldn't find any help :(. I changed the key fob with new one. The key itself is the original including all electronics inside the fob. Now after replacement, the remote works just fine and locks/unlocks the car, but it won't start.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks very much
Please tell me nothing has been thrown out yet.

Transponder chip swapped over from old casing to new? It's in the corner encapsulated in a triangular like white plastic holder.

:link: How to Open and Replace Shell of Hyundai/KIA i30/i20/Elantra Car Key Case - YouTube
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline sofiyanski

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
I didn't throw it, it's also in the new fob. It's not damaged, as I moved it out and put in carefully.
  • Hyundai i30

Offline sofiyanski

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
OK, now I see from the short video, that below the white plastic, there is something else to be replaced, right?
  • Hyundai i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I didn't throw it, it's also in the new fob. It's not damaged, as I moved it out and put in carefully.
So what you are saying is the original Transponder chip was removed from old case and installed in new case?

Any chance you can open up new key fob again and take image, then post that image here please so I can see where it's sitting?

You will see "click here to add an image to this post" below the reply window.

If car started just prior to this and chip has been swapped over it should function as before.

Did the new fob have a new chip or is it a bare case?

I can't see how the chip would fail with the transfer. done this myself with no issues.

Is the immobiliser icon flashing when it fails to start?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
OK, now I see from the short video, that below the white plastic, there is something else to be replaced, right?
Can you give me time reference on video so I can see what you see?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The black transponder chip like the image I posted?

Offline sofiyanski

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
Unfortunatelly I don't have the fob with me now, cause I left it at a friend's house.
The black chip (I suppose) is in 2:04 from the video :link: How to Open and Replace Shell of Hyundai/KIA i30/i20/Elantra Car Key Case - YouTube
  • Hyundai i30

Offline sofiyanski

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
This black thing I didn't replace...
You may wish to make a call to your friend and make sure whatever is left of your old casing is not in the bin.

If it's lost, you will need a new blank chip, Dealer level programmer and PIN access code to program new chip .

Vehicle locksmith would also have that equipment.

Offline sofiyanski

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
I already called him and it's in safe place :)
Now, just to make sure, after I put everything in place, including the black chip, would it work without issues?
  • Hyundai i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I already called him and it's in safe place :)
Now, just to make sure, after I put everything in place, including the black chip, would it work without issues?
It's not starting because the immobiliser is not seeing a valid transponder chip. orange flashing key icon also likely in instrument cluster.

This way people can't just cut a key and drive off with the car.

Pure and simply yes it will start if that chip goes back inside that case in the same location. try and fit the white cap over it like it was too may help keep it there.

:sweating: :sweating:

Offline sofiyanski

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
Will try on monday and see what happens. Thanks a lot for your complete explanation!  :goodjob: :goodjob2:
  • Hyundai i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Will try on monday and see what happens. Thanks a lot for your complete explanation!  :goodjob: :goodjob2:
No worries mate  :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice work as usual thanks @tw2005  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
its an easy mistake to make. Did it myself, the chip dropped out as I reassembled the key.   :crazy1: :crazy1: Yep I had swept the workshop floor.  :blubber:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
its an easy mistake to make. Did it myself, the chip dropped out as I reassembled the key.   :crazy1: :crazy1: Yep I had swept the workshop floor.  :blubber:

The cost of being clean  :evil:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :kissmyass:  yo'll gonna regret thus.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal