i30 Owners Club

The Wife has been hinting at a new car.....

beerman · 17 · 2888

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

:link: Damaged 2017 Hyundai i30 PD 1.6D Active Hatch For Auction in Eagle Farm, Brisbane, Queensland ? Manheim Salvage Auctions

Wonder how bad it is??

I would expect to be written off it must look much the same as a golf......ball that is.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
From those photos, doesn't look like it's damaged at all, to me.

Hail damage? My eyes must be going as I can't see any :eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Look like photos of a showroom car to me, probably not the same car pictured for auction :undecided:

I'd be expecting roof and bonnet to be golf balled with cracked or smashed windscreen :confused:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Look like photos of a showroom car to me, probably not the same car pictured for auction :undecided:

I'd be expecting roof and bonnet to be golf balled with cracked or smashed windscreen :confused:
Surely they have to have pictures of actual car.

Otherwise flouting consumer law plus how can you make a bid.

Unless with just 55km that is actual car which has under carriage damage say off transporter.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Unless with just 55km that is actual car which has under carriage damage say off transporter.
Cant say I've ever seen under carriage damage become a repairable write off due to hail damage :)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Cant say I've ever seen under carriage damage become a repairable write off due to hail damage :)
Doesn't say hail damage in page i've seen unless stated elsewhere

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah it's down the page mate

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Those hail damaged cars came up in my news feed on FB a day or two ago. I was wondering if they would be a good buy or not!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Yeah it's down the page mate

Only top part of page originally down loaded.

Retried and all downloaded.

But re picture........ Still not clear to me from images if it's THE actual car as i can't see body damage.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
There is 10 pages of hail damaged vehicles up for auction in that lot and I don't see the slightest bit of damage on any of them, you probably don't get to see the actual damage till the auction goes live with video streaming or turn up in person to view.

:link: Salvage Auction Catalogue ? HAIL SALE - Brisbane Drivable Salvage ? Lane 4 ? Manheim Eagle Farm, Brisbane, Queensland

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

:link: Damaged 2017 Hyundai i30 PD 1.6D Active Hatch For Auction in Eagle Farm, Brisbane, Queensland ? Manheim Salvage Auctions

Wonder how bad it is??

I would expect to be written off it must look much the same as a golf......ball that is.
Bugger, you're a day late. May have been able to take a peep for you yesterday arvo. Pickles, you can only view morning of sale, not sure with Manheim , @nzenigma Gary would know. Pickles has a few lined up with hail, not sure if anything that new.

On the FD at Pickles, I could not clearly see much, you'd have to see it in person, Photos like those are going to disguise them a bit.

Like anything, at the right price if it's not too bad, why not. Just need to check your insurer if they will cover a repairable with Hail.

Unless things have changed Suncorp , AAMI won't. Budget Direct will, bu will exclude hail cover I believe, (Market Value)
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 hate hail damage, but was interested in a Pickles FD SR with only 39,000km on the clock. Had been immaculate. Could not see the hail damage in photo. Thats not unusual.  It was only the roof , a lot of damage. Bids went to $5500.
Add GST plus wovi, the car is at $7000 before you do a repair.

For the record, they always show the correct car. The damage report is non-specific and usually says 'entire vehicle affected'. They also keep a recording of the bidding process. That way nobody can claim they were defrauded.
You are also advised to view the vehicle, anyone who simply buys online takes a big risk.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I wasn't seriously thinking about it. If the dealer can't sell it and the insurer has decided that it is too expensive to repair thats more than enough experts for me.

I remember my wife made me look at an Accent diesel for her sister I think I was working that night, so I really wasn't keen and made this known to her my usual subtle way. However, she was equally insistant. Looked ok online, of course no mention of the hail damage or the history of the car. They had basically bought it, had it inspected and registered it.

It looked like a golf ball. The camera simply does not manage to show the hail damage.

Old mate drove the car out. I was already not keen to be there, looked at him and said thanks for wasting my time, got in my car and left him standing there.

I wouldn't bother going to look at the car, because I know someone will overspend on it, either not phased by driving around in a golf ball, or simply not really informed on what it will cost to fix the vehicle and get it on the road (from memory last large hail storm there were massive delays on the inspections to enable registration 4-6 months from memory.

Whilst this one isn't as bad, Im sure there will be delays.

Plus her FD only has 122,000k on it. I don't think about replacing them until at least 140  :whistler:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Pics are usually just out of focus,  inspection is the only way to go,  and then take a small torch with you.  A few years ago a mate paid $30k for Santa H/lander, never rego'd , 2km on clock,  hail damaged. Replaced guards,  bonnet,  tailgate  off same year at wreckers,  sprayed  panels then rubbed entire car back , then full respray. $35k approx all up , full warranty .   :happydance:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I wasn't seriously thinking about it. If the dealer can't sell it and the insurer has decided that it is too expensive to repair thats more than enough experts for me.

You need to know how the industry works. Mick's example shows how it can work for you.

Plus her FD only has 122,000k on it. I don't think about replacing them until at least 140  :whistler:

Now thats more like it  :goodjob: But only 140, thats not even 100,000 miles!  :blubber:

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
According to the warranty passport I just read the warranty is void if the vehicle is written off or disposed of by an insurance company.

Personally I reckon I am patient enough to find a great deal when a dealer needs a car gone. I have done well enough in the past.

Good luck to those of you who have the skills to pull off these recoveries though.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
According to the warranty passport I just read the warranty is void if the vehicle is written off or disposed of by an insurance company.

It does say that, but not always practiced, it seems. :undecided:
 1. Dealer has to check REVs, to view wovr
2. Dealer wants to make money,
3. (from Horse's mouth) warranty continues on everything except the replaced parts.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal