i30 Owners Club

Annoying squeeking noise

Offline marc.knuckle

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
Hi all.
There is a squeeking noise from the drivers side rear when driving on anything apart from perfectly smooth roads. Initially i thought it was the rubber door trim i put on to protect the door if it was banged against anything when opening but removing it didn't change anything. So i tested a few things..

Removed all items from boot
Removed spare wheel accessories in their polystyrene holder as that's the sort of noise, polystyrene rubbing against something
Removed spare wheel

I can't get it to stop. Very annoying. Anyone have any thoughts on what else it could be and what else i could try?
  • Hyundai i30 2017

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi all.
There is a squeeking noise from the drivers side rear when driving on anything apart from perfectly smooth roads. Initially i thought it was the rubber door trim i put on to protect the door if it was banged against anything when opening but removing it didn't change anything. So i tested a few things..

Removed all items from boot
Removed spare wheel accessories in their polystyrene holder as that's the sort of noise, polystyrene rubbing against something
Removed spare wheel

I can't get it to stop. Very annoying. Anyone have any thoughts on what else it could be and what else i could try?
Check the hatch latch and the rubber stoppers around the frame.
Try a small piece of tape over the latch first.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Could it be shock, spring or exhaust movement?

Or remember that car advert re ear ring..........

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Co uld one of the back seat backs not be latched properly? Have you had someone sit in the back on that side while you are driving to narrow it down?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline marc.knuckle

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
Co uld one of the back seat backs not be latched properly? Have you had someone sit in the back on that side while you are driving to narrow it down?

Cheers all. Dazzler got it.

If i go over large bumps there is still some normal noises your expect but by unlatching the back seat then pushing closed again, the majority of the noise has gone.
  • Hyundai i30 2017

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Oh goody. I must tell the wife when I get home. She usually reckons I'm never right sometimes even before I've said anything!  :eek:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Dazzler
I must tell the wife when I get home.

What Dazz is really saying, is that he'd like to put his wife in the back seat to reduce the noise up front.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline marc.knuckle

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
Sorry guys, spoke too soon. Journey back after posting was less smooth and the noise was back.
  • Hyundai i30 2017

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry guys, spoke too soon. Journey back after posting was less smooth and the noise was back.

May still be the back seat latch. Try putting a bit of electrcal tape around the loopy bit that the seat back catch clips on to. This has been a known fix before. Hence why I thought of the seat back.

Offline marc.knuckle

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands

May still be the back seat latch. Try putting a bit of electrcal tape around the loopy bit that the seat back catch clips on to. This has been a known fix before. Hence why I thought of the seat back.

Cheers, I'll give it a go
  • Hyundai i30 2017

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Have you tried my suggestion yet?

Offline marc.knuckle

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands

Have you tried my suggestion yet?

Sorry mate, been really busy. I plan trying it tomorrow. I'll update after a bit of testing. Cheers
  • Hyundai i30 2017

Offline marc.knuckle

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
I put the tape on yesterday but then haven't really had a chance to test it much so I'll give it a few days and report back
  • Hyundai i30 2017

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I put the tape on yesterday but then haven't really had a chance to test it much so I'll give it a few days and report back

Cheers!  :goodjob:

Offline marc.knuckle

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
I've only used the car once since doing the tape thing as the wife had been using it. Must say, i didn't notice too much noise but I'd forgot to particularly listen which may be a good sign. Not noticing.

Again, I'll report back if it becomes noticeable.
  • Hyundai i30 2017

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I've only used the car once since doing the tape thing as the wife had been using it. Must say, i didn't notice too much noise but I'd forgot to particularly listen which may be a good sign. Not noticing.

So did you put some tape on the tailgate latch, the seat latches or both?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Think he did the seat latches earlier, Dazz.

Offline marc.knuckle

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands

I did the seat latches so far and as mentioned it seems better or at least i haven't noticed much noise but i don't get to use it as much as I'd like. I'm trying to get a bit more usage in before confirming how successful it's been. But, so far so good
  • Hyundai i30 2017

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal