i30 Owners Club

Access and change front fog light / bulb

Offline Toptec2010

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Taunton, Somerset
Team! I have a 2007 1.6 diesel i30 5 door. When you turn the front fog lamps on the light on the insteument panel illuminates; also the relevant fuse is fine. Either both bulbs are blown, or disconnected somehow (I've just purchased the car).

I had a look down from under the bonnet / hood but no way to get to the fog lights there! Laid on the ground and tried to squeeze in underneath but it is very very tight. Can't see an obvious way to get to them!

Can someone tell me exactly how to get to the fog lights (front) before I take unnecessarily take half the front of the car off!

Thank you

Dave
  • 2007 Hyundai i30 style crdi (diesel 5 door)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yes,

Work from under the car. There is a flexible plastic flap held with some philips head inserts. However they're not really screws, you have to turn them with very gentle pressure to entice sone of the insert out and once you have some of it out, you can pull them and they should slip out easily. What happens it that the "screw" spreads the retainer so it won't drop out on the road which is why getting them started can be a bit frustrating. Start with the ones nearest the light, you can leave the ones at the end as the flap is quite flexible. The lamp housing rotates (you can see the lugs from the front of the light) and then comes out easily. I have replaced both our Fogs with LED replacements.

To do this job, I lay in front of the vehicle. There is no need, nor is it possible to actually get under the car.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Have you checked the front foglight relay? Should be marked "FR FOG" in the engine compartment.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
if its not the relay, and you need to look up in the flaps,  and don't have ramps, park with one wheel up on a kerb (not so you are in the road) to give you more space, or get a small mirror to see what's going on.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Can't do that in my street, you'd get cleaned up by another car.  :eek:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Can't do that in my street, you'd get cleaned up by another car.  :eek:

And a fine for parking on the footpath/sidewalk/whatever-the-inspector-wants-to-call-it-so-he-can-increase-his-revenue?    :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Too right.  :lol:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I have replaced both our Fogs with LED replacements.

I did that to cobnvert the fog lights to DRLs. The 13 LED bulbs were not very bright so  I ordered some 28LED bulbs but the LED section was too large to go through the hole in the reflector!

I ended up buying some 'superwhite' halogen bulbs :link: XTEC 881 H27/7w Super White Halogen Bulbs (Pair) 4200k | eBay which have been fine the first blowing recently after over two years always on whenever the engine is running.
I can recommend these bulbs for  very white light and long life.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal