i30 Owners Club

What brightness is allowed for direction indicators?

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Hi guys, I added some Classicar LEDs indicator bulbs in to the i30 and they are very orange and very very impressively bright. I can't really make sense of Australian design Regs for light intensity or if they are legal. I spoke with local police who didn't believe there were only rules on indicator brightness and implied the brighter the better and ADR is mainly for headlights??

I tried to post a video but it won't allow .mov files off iPhone
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 13:18:05 by Crustycottage »
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm not sure on .mov files though you could try to upload to sendvid :link: Upload and Share Videos - Sendvid

I'm guessing you changed the flasher as well :undecided:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
As far as I know the Aust rules spec minimum brightness ( lumen ) mostly 5w globes.
Unaware of max lumen,  but you can't go blinding those around you,  nighttime would be the worst.
If you stand to look at it in the dark , without  leaving those spots when you look away or reaching for the sunnies , you should be good.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
These are plug straight in LEDs like canbus no additional resistors required.

See if this link works for front indicators, i feel theya re brighter than dipped headlights  :rolleyes:

:link: iOS Video - Sendvid, Front

:link: iOS Video - Sendvid, Rear
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:24:26 by Crustycottage »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Both vid's work fine :goodjob: the brightness of the indicators is better than standard for sure, don't think they'll be a problem though as the police already mentioned.

I might have to grab a set of those for myself :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :MeToo:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Either sold out or their trusty bulb tester has put a workers compensation claim in for burnt retinas  :rofl:

They were a good company to deal with were sent quickly and well packaged from UK.
The cheap Chinese indicator LEDs I tried off Ebay had a washed out orange colour almost white, also needed a resister which is difficult to incorporate into the PD headlamp indicator assembly & is probably the same style bulb holder & electric track as on the GD headlight

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yes they are the same PY type and Canbus for mine, I also tried some Chinese one's a couple of years ago that were supposed to be Canbus no error and they didn't work right so never ventured there again, it's handy to now know of some good quality one's :goodjob2:

Note! these bulbs wont save power though, they have 105 LED's in them to soak up 21w's, but the brightness is much better :)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 13:11:32 by CraigB »

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Note! these bulbs wont save power though, they have 105 LED's in them to soak up 21w's, but the brightness is much better

Saving power is so overrated & last year Craig  :snigger:

I feel like im single handedly keeping Synergy's enormous profits soaring with my electricity bills  :crazy1:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Note! these bulbs wont save power though, they have 105 LED's in them to soak up 21w's, but the brightness is much better

Saving power is so overrated & last year Craig  :snigger:

I feel like im single handedly keeping Synergy's enormous profits soaring with my electricity bills  :crazy1:
:lol: I know how ya feel :)

We're currently in the process of changing the whole house over to LED, 25 new downlights and 3 pendents :sweating: it'll be some time before the smaller footprint pays off the outlay and installation costs :whistler:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@Crustycottage finally ordered myself some of those LED bulbs now that they have em back in stock :happydance: I discovered they're also the one's Dazz had mentioned in an i30N topic previously :link: Changing indicators to LED in i30N

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Don't forget the welding mask when testing  :cool: I hadn't seen That post from Daz, but I was a bit more careful removing my light cluster than the you-tuber  :crazy1:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Those bulbs finally turned up this afternoon :happydance: I see what you mean by needing a welding mask, they are seriously bright :Jaw:

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 15:45:31 by CraigB »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :Shocked: :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Those bulbs finally turned up this afternoon :happydance: I see what you mean by needing a welding mask, they are seriously bright :Jaw:

:link: IMG 0877 - Sendvid

I did warn you. But as the cops said best to be seen.  :crazy2:
The bulbs flash correctly in your car too Craig so no canbus errors.  :goodjob2:
I like these LEDs & the fact they just plug straight in with no messing around is a real bonus  :happydance:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The bulbs flash correctly in your car too Craig so no canbus errors.  :goodjob2:
I like these LEDs & the fact they just plug straight in with no messing around is a real bonus  :happydance:
Yeah they’re an easy change over, I also replaced the side indicators with these :link: 2x T10 CAR BULBS LED ERROR FREE CANBUS 6 SMD YELLOW AMBER W5W 501 501A ? Classic Car LEDs   without issues.

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
How are you getting on Craig with new indicator LEDs?
im getting used to extra brightness  :snigger:
Good to be seen especially with driving standards & lack of indication in WA  :crazy1:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They’re working well, much more visible in daylight.
I  haven’t done to much night driving since installing them but I think people behind me at the lights should get a nice tan :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal