i30 Owners Club

Recommend Amplifier for SLX

Offline Serendibb

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi Guys,

Was thinking that the sound from the basic system of the SLX needed some boosting. I am not looking to connect a subwoofer nor change any of the speakers. I basically listens to pop and classical music most of the time.

What sort of amp (make and model) would you recommend that I can buy from Repco or JB Hifi and take to a third party to install? Just bamboozled with channels and stuff on the adverts when I went into JB Hifi for a look.

Oh, the budget is anything less then $400 (hopefully that's enough?)

Offline i30 Roolz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Interesting question: I asked the same of Hyundai Aus, since the SR head unit is amplified, I figured I could just buy the same amp.

They couldn't tell me zip!

I asked my local car sound joint and they quoted me a grand to instal an amp and upgrade all speakers - a bit rich if you ask me. I was hoping to stick to around the same budget as you.

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hey mate, i paid around 250-300 for a 4 channel amp from strathfields, but i dunno how much it'll cost to get it fit because i installed it myself and kept the stock head unit and also speakers but im running a sub on a monoblock.

hopefully this helps a lil
ash

Offline Serendibb

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
So did you just go to counter and say "I want a 4 channel amp?" Is there anything else we have to know in buying this amp? Power / Output etc? BTW, where did you install the amp in the car?

Offline chylld

• 2nd Gear
hey mate, i paid around 250-300 for a 4 channel amp from strathfields, but i dunno how much it'll cost to get it fit because i installed it myself and kept the stock head unit and also speakers but im running a sub on a monoblock.

i'm looking to install a 2ch amp for my fronts only in my sx; can you give me any tips on installing it myself, e.g. where to route the power cable through the firewall, which panels you need to rip out etc? i've installed a complex system in a previous car (honda civic) but don't know where to start with the i30.

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hey fellas

i went into the amp section at strathfield in bunbury (30 mins north where i live) and a guy came up to me and asked me a couple of question on like what will the amp be running etc and he pointed me in the right direction.

i had to cut a bit of a hole in my firewall to get the power through to the back of the car due i couldnt find anything when looking in the back of the engine bay, i'll take a couple of pics for u just so u can get a idea.

cheers
ash

Offline i30 Roolz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
it wasnt to big just the same size as they cable going through.

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
well, this topic has been dead for a while..

so taking that assumption that some people have amplified their speakers, what is your opinion in the end?

was it worth just throwing in an amplifier to amp the current speakers? or did you end up changing the stock speakers as well in the end?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
well, this topic has been dead for a while..

so taking that assumption that some people have amplified their speakers, what is your opinion in the end?

was it worth just throwing in an amplifier to amp the current speakers? or did you end up changing the stock speakers as well in the end?

Think it depends how much you like your bass.. :cool:

From some recent posts on here the word was even with upgraded speakers and a separate amp.. they still were lacking in the bass department.. :'(
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Pip
If you want more bass, get a sub.  If you can arrange at the same time to remove the sub-bass from the door speakers you might be surprised at how good they sound without any change to them.

I think I remember from posts here that there are no pre-outs in the standard set-up so this will compromise the signal you feed to the sub by limiting the (low) frequency response to that being available from the existing power-amps at their speaker output.

Even so, you would surely improve it at relatively little cost for the sub itself, the amp for it, and the cross-over (probably built into the amp anyway).

Offline DTY01

• 2nd Gear
I just installed a 5ch amp, 6 1/2" 3way splits in the front and 2x12"subs in the back. To do that I had to install a line level converter to change the speaker level wires to RCA. I removed the dash and cut the speaker wires and then joined onto and ran Both ends to the back of the car. Then I mounted an LC6i Audiocontrol line level converter on the back of the seat along with my Alpine 5ch amp. I wired the front speaker signals into the LC6i then feed the RCA's out of it straight into the amp. Then from the amp I ran the wires back to the front and taped straight back into the standard loom ( this meant I didn't have to run speaker wires into all the doors). So now I have aftermarket fronts with stock rears(High passed with the crossover set at about 80htz) both running through the amp and my 2x 12" subs running through the centre sub channel. I also added an optional sub controler to the lc6i so I have full fader, balance and sub control. The LC6i senses a signal and turns my amp on as an added bonus. I also Dynamatted the whole doors.
So to cut a long post short I can't see out my mirrors cause they shake so much, well worth it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

"sounds GR8" any pix DTY01 during or after your conversion?

Pip
I just installed a 5ch amp, 6 1/2" 3way splits in the front and 2x12"subs in the back...
...So to cut a long post short I can't see out my mirrors cause they shake so much, well worth it.
Gotta ask, apart from the mirrors shaking... how does it sound?  :rolleyes: :D

This sounds like a sensible mod, any more details on the front drivers and sub(s) chosen?  Also were the front speakers a direct drop-in after drilling the rivets?  A pic of the sub fitted would be great too. 

Offline DTY01

• 2nd Gear
No I don't have any pics yet as I, as usual, just chucked the amp in to get it going but I will pretty it up later. As for the front speakers I used a pair of Eclipse SC8365  6 1/2  3 way splits with full dyna matting on the doors. I had to make a spacer out of MDF using two thicknesses glued together to get the right clearance, and I had to trim some of the plastic away from the inside of the door trim to fit. They just (and I mean just) fit and there is no evidence of them from the outside. For the splits I ordered a pair of the blank plastic pillar pieces (where the tweeters sit in an SLX) and mounted the mid and tweeters to that.
For the subs I just have 2 12" Clarion Dual Voice Coil subs wired in series parralell in a store bought enclosue just sitting in the back, nothing special.
The amp and LC6i are mounted to the back of the rear seat that still allows the seat to drop forward and for stuff to be placed (carefully) on top.
Probably the best bit of the system is the Audiocontrol LC6i as it gives me the RCA's that i need and allows me to have complete control over the system Left, Right, Front, Rear and sub control.
I will endevour to get some pics up soon, even with the dodge set up that is there now.

Offline DTY01

• 2nd Gear
I don't know how to put text with pics so here goes. Subs in box, Amp and LC6i, Front door with speakers, Mid and high speakers mounted on SX trims. Hope that shows what you are after. Oh please don't bag the workmanship of the amp cause it is a work in progress. And for the record the sound is very good very loud but with really good SQ as well better than just a doof doof mobile although it sees it's fair share.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanx for the pix M8..

the Mid and high speakers mounted on SX trims look really neat  :eek:

Pip
Thank you.

As I said, sounded good and I see it looks the goods.  Thanks for showing.

I so wanna do a sub but... hell... there's really no room for the groceries!

Offline DTY01

• 2nd Gear
If you didn't want to sacrifice as much room as I have you could go for a single high excursion sub 12" or even 10" and that should give you a good enough kick.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal