i30 Owners Club

ISG not working since the purchase

Offline bonaventura

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Edinburgh
Hi guys,

Recently, 2 weeks ago, I bought used i30 1.6 crdi active blue. Before purchase and during the test drive seller told me that the ISG is not working at the moment, because the battery needs to be recharged by the car. 200 miles later ISG still won't work. Car is still on warranty but as far as I check battery has only 2 years warranty. However in my opinion the car should be in satisfactory condition, so the feature should work. Any advice folks?
  • 2014 GD 5 Door 1.6 CRDI 110PS Active Blue

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi bonaventura

:wttc:

Besides the battery condition, there's a lot of conditions needed to be met before the ISG works. If it's very important to you with this feature, you can find more info here, using the search function.
Personally, I wouldn't care and find it annoying and unnecessary use of the battery power.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcumwagon:

It is not unusual for the ISG in i30s to not operate. There are many more parameters than just battery condition that affect its operation. There are several threads on here that document the reasons and theory although at 3am I'm not hunting for a link sorry.

Please don't be too stressed though as feedback from owners who have the function suggest that (a) Even when operating it makes very little difference to fuel use and (b) Most would prefer the option to be able to disable it completely all the time, rather than at each trip.

Trumped by Henning, but will leave my post unchanged...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bonaventura

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Edinburgh
Thanks guys for quick reply. I'm the kind of person who like various features in the car even though I'm not using them ;) I red car owner manual and threads on the forum before I've registered. In my opinion all conditions are met. I even tried recommended drive style to raise chance to make it work, but no luck. Today I gonna phone the dealer and ask for explanation.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Well, best of luck with that.

I hate ISG - I'm now in the habit of hitting the "ISG Off" button just before I crank the engine. It's a right royal pain in the buttocks, coming to the end of a motorway journey only to have the engine cut out while blisteringly red hot.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bonaventura

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Edinburgh

I hate ISG - I'm now in the habit of hitting the "ISG Off" button just before I crank the engine. It's a right royal pain in the buttocks, coming to the end of a motorway journey only to have the engine cut out while blisteringly red hot.

Thanks :) like I said it's better to have it and not use it rather than have feature that doesn't work. Appointment booked for May, will let you know about the progress.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks :) like I said it's better to have it and not use it rather than have feature that doesn't work. Appointment booked for May, will let you know about the progress.

I think you'll find the feature a bit like indicators ... Now it's working, now it's not.  :winker:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That's smart Dazz, smart I say :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:D

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Personally, I would be THRILLED if the ISG didn't work and I didn't have to go through the process of turning it off before every trip!  :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal