i30 Owners Club

Steering not unlocking

Offline k100Dennis

• 1st Gear

• Railton, Tasmania, Australia
My mother has a 2010 FD CRDI.  It went in to the dealer for a recall a few weeks ago, something to do with the airbag in the steering (apparently).  After the recall work was completed she went away for a couple of weeks and the car was garaged at her home.  Since returning home and driving the car she tells me that the steering does not always unlock after starting the engine.  She took the car back to the dealers (Motors Devonport) and was told "just wriggle the steering wheel", but this problem did not occur previous to doing the recall work.
My question is (before I approach Motors service), would the steering column be dismantled for the recall work ? Or would the ignition switch/steering lock assembly have been dismantled ? 
  • i30 GD Elite, Diesel

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Something isn't right there.
Shouldn't the steering be unlocked before the car will start?

Also, in my  experience the steering should only lock in a slightly right of centre position.

Ask her to turn the wheel slightly left before turning the car off and see if it still locks.

• 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Covi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mnt. Isa

My question is (before I approach Motors service), would the steering column be dismantled for the recall work ? Or would the ignition switch/steering lock assembly have been dismantled ?

The surfer guy above is right about start and lock. to get at the air bag steering col is not dis mantled. best to go look at lock yourself. been a usefull site here but guys that used to be here that were very cluey  not hear anymore it seems. pity ask a mechanic insted.
  • 2010 i30 wagon diesel

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

The surfer guy above is right about start and lock. to get at the air bag steering col is not dis mantled. best to go look at lock yourself. been a usefull site here but guys that used to be here that were very cluey  not hear anymore it seems. pity ask a mechanic insted.
Good point.
Actually. @nzenigma  was on a couple of days ago, but @tw2005 hasn't been around for a while.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Covi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mnt. Isa
ok beenwatching hre to get thru many problems for over ayearor two. nz stopped talking to me resntly so joined as a member. still nuthing.  :disapp:
  • 2010 i30 wagon diesel

Offline k100Dennis

• 1st Gear

Update - I looked at the car myself last night and made these observations -  with the engine running the ESP light and ABS lights stay on.  Pressing the ESP Off switch does nothing.  Brakes are working fine though I never attempted to "test" the ABS.  The park brake light also stays on, maybe unrelated and only a switch problem.  I checked some fuses, nothing blown that I could see, but I did notice the upper section of the fuse board on the LH side under the bonnet was not fastened down by the 2 screws.  I tightened the screws but nothing changed.
An independent mechanic will be connecting a scan tool today to see what messages/codes are there.  I could also not make the steering unlock fault happen during the time.

• i30 GD Elite, Diesel

Offline k100Dennis

• 1st Gear

Further update - checked and cleared all fault codes yesterday, they were all related it seems, to a wiring plug somewhere down the steering column.  As for the steering not unlocking, some lube was added through the key slot and that will be monitored.
  • i30 GD Elite, Diesel

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
 :goodjob2: thanks for update.
K100 eh?, as in BMW K100 ?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline k100Dennis

• 1st Gear

Yep, 1987 vintage, restored, toured Tas, Vic, NSW numerous times 2 up with all the gear, never an issue.  Sold it 9 years ago and bought a 2005 K1200LT, lovely thing, been to W.A. 2 up for 30 days.  Can't carry the gear the old K Bike could though, but very plush (star ship enterprise).
  • i30 GD Elite, Diesel

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal