i30 Owners Club

Steering knock - it’s not the coupling!

JHI30 · 15 · 11512

Offline JHI30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi All,
I’ve had this steering knock when you slightly turn the steering wheel left to right. It’s been covered in this forum numerous times that it’s the flexible coupling within the power steering assembly. So I bought myself a new coupling and attempted it. To my surprise the original coupling looked brand new and there was no sign of wear. I’ve also read the knock may be associated with the uni joint bolt. I looked at this and the bolt wasn’t loose but gave it a slight tightening just in case. The knock is still present. Any ideas as to what this can be? My car is a 2008 crdi slx, manual. Could it be the steering universal joint itself? Thanks for your time.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi All,
I’ve had this steering knock when you slightly turn the steering wheel left to right. It’s been covered in this forum numerous times that it’s the flexible coupling within the power steering assembly. So I bought myself a new coupling and attempted it. To my surprise the original coupling looked brand new and there was no sign of wear. I’ve also read the knock may be associated with the uni joint bolt. I looked at this and the bolt wasn’t loose but gave it a slight tightening just in case. The knock is still present. Any ideas as to what this can be? My car is a 2008 crdi slx, manual. Could it be the steering universal joint itself? Thanks for your time.

Bugger, you must have missed my recent comments. Times  2 for me. Yep both cars the coupling was perfect. It must be a bigger knock when they go.

I'm pretty much in the same boat and considering swapping the whole rack. Also 2008 SLX CRDi 212000k but was rattly when I got it at 169000k.

what's stopping me.

well the thought of the column needing resetting although I've removed two motors now insitu and managed to get these back together and no zeroing required.

The subframe needs to be unbolted, the rear engine roll mount also needs to be removed and if I'm going that deep lets do the stabiliser bushes.

That and lack of motivation.

I had new tyres fitted and the shop reckoned the racks ends are ok although they still may not be.

Oh and yes there could be  a small amount of slopin the  joint of the intermediate shaft
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 20:32:56 by tw2005 »
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline JHI30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi All,

Bugger, you must have missed my recent comments. Times  2 for me. Yep both cars the coupling was perfect. It must be a bigger knock when they go.

I'm pretty much in the same boat and considering swapping the whole rack. Also 2008 SLX CRDi 21200k but was rattly when I got it at 169000k.

what's stopping me.

well the thought of the column needing resetting although I've removed two motors now insitu and managed to get these back together and no zeroing required.

The subframe needs to be unbolted, the rear engine roll mount also needs to be removed and if I'm going that deep lets do the stabiliser bushes.

That and lack of motivation.

I had new tyres fitted and the shop reckoned the racks ends are ok although they still may not be.

Oh and yes there could be  a small amount of slopin the  joint of the intermediate shaft

Ahhh I’m not alone Mine has done a similar amount of km - 201,000 but I’ve had this issue for some time. I think I may have another look at the universal joint that attaches to the column. May be some slight play that’s causing the knock. This part is relatively inexpensive, around the $200 AUD mark.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Same issue with my 2008, knocks over humps. Have changed all 4 stab  arms, both steering rods and steering rod ends, but still the same.

Mine's now @ 286000 km but the noise have been present for quite some time, a few years actually..  :whistler:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Same issue with my 2008, knocks over humps. Have changed all 4 stab  arms, both steering rods and steering rod ends, but still the same.

Mine's now @ 286000 km but the noise have been present for quite some time, a few years actually..  :whistler:

SO that leaves the rack and the intermediate shaft?  Is that on the schedule?

4 stab arms? you talking 2 at the front , 2 at the rear? lost me on this one.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

No. It have now lasted for that long time and I expect to trade for a newer car later this year.

Yes  :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

No. It have now lasted for that long time and I expect to trade for a newer car later this year.

Yes  :mrgreen:
I do feel it's within the rack like worn bushes the rack sits in.

What are you getting? ANother CRDi i30?

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Most likely not, even though I would like the new PD i30. Unfortunately Hyundai doesn't offer a stronger engine in the i30  and as I tow the caravan I would like something with more torque and power.

I'm considering i40, Mazda 6, Skoda Octavia or Renault Megane. All of them have 320+Nm.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Most likely not, even though I would like the new PD i30. Unfortunately Hyundai doesn't offer a stronger engine in the i30  and as I tow the caravan I would like something with more torque and power.

I'm considering i40, Mazda 6, Skoda Octavia or Renault Megane. All of them have 320+Nm.
Oh my,.... you're all torque aren't you :rofl:

and we loose a techpert  :blubber:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Get an i40 we can open a sub forum.....  :whistler:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Get an i40 we can open a sub forum.....  :whistler:
why? :undecided:

ns
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
 :whsaid:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Im not hands on at the moment, so just annoy you by saying I have a steering knock job to do in the coming weeks. It is a 2010 FD with 80,000km on the clock. 
The car has hit a gutter hard and bent 2 rims (replaced for before test run), quick observation and experience says that I will find a bent strut, tie rod and lower control arm.
 However, the car drives and steers normally. :'(
But steering knock is quite bad and both EPS and ESP lights are on.
Often when they are both on, the power steer remains 'hot' after the key is removed. You need to briefly disconnect the battery to turn it off. In this case its not staying on.

I SHOULD ADD THAT I THINK THE KNOCK IS COMING FROM THE POWER STEER UNIT, NOT ELSEWHERE. BUT IN THIS CASE, I THINK THE DAMAGE COULD BE MORE THAN JUST THE BUSH. TIME WILL TELL.

Over to tw to theorise, cheers mate  :D

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 23:18:36 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal