Hyundai Ioniq - Electric V Hybrid

Dazzler · 18 · 4936

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
This is not a bad little video if you are interested in (or own) a Hybrid or electric vehicle. Personally I couldn't live with the inconvenience and extra charging time required with stopping to top up an electric vehicle. I reckon Hybrids are the best option at this time unless you only do short trips of under say 200 kms.

:link: Hyundai Ioniq Electric & Hybrid Maximum Range Challenge - YouTube

@AlanHo @Shambles
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Doesn't appeal to me either. Canada has much the same population / distances as Oz, . Not very practical. A mate of mine was talking about getting the small Tesla when its released and being a tight ass he could save fuel $$$$. I pointed out that he lives in the city so doesn't drive far, so a high price Tesla vs. a V8 on fuel would probably make the V8 more economical.
He settled on a Lexus SUV.  :rolleyes:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes, definitely horses for course Gary. Being a big Hybrid fan, I probably would have bought an Ioniq Hybrid rather than the SR if they hadn't been so slow releasing it here. Can't be far away now.

Auto Expert makes the point that those who only do limited motoring can't really justify the extra cost of the more economical models which are sometimes a compromise in other ways.  :cool: 

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I havent watched the video, but with power for eletric cars avaliable for $1 a day it will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to become cheap enough to consider.

The Wife's FD has 117k on it, I'm thinking of replacing it when my lease is up. I am hopeful that by then they will be more economical, or the Greens will have done something with novated leasing to make ownership cheaper (like perhaps making them 100% pre tax dollars).
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks for the video Dazz.  I've watched half of it - the rest this afternoon (I'm off work today).

Feels strange watching my exact car being reviewed.

Well, apart from the paddle shifts which I don't have, even though mine is the TOTR Special Edition Premium version :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They seem like a couple of good guys. They like both cars.  :goodjob:

To be honest I tried using my paddle shifters but auto changing works better so no great loss Steve.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
An interesting film but I found the two presenters "Oh my God" irritating.

I bet my boots that they brimmed the hybrid before they set off but at the end stopped on the first click of the pump to achieve their aim of letting the hybrid be pipped at the post. Otherwise the video would have been an overwhelming victory for the hybrid which of course is the reality.

It is going to need a massive investment in high speed universal charging points throughout the Country, before EV's are practical other than for constant local journeys.  Dazz is right - overall a hybrid is going to me the optimum choice for most family cars where there is a mixture of commute and long week-end or holiday drives. (But I would say that wouldn't I :winker: ).
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Depends on what you need really. Most people don't need more than a couple of hundred k's range. Most only potter around locally. Reckon there is a spot in a 2 car garage for an eletric car.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Several of my in-laws in Holland have either Tesla ( one has the roadster  :evil: ) or Opel electric cars. The Dutch government and councils encouraged this concept by freely installing charge points outside their homes.

A few years back I drove a mate's Hybrid Lexus 400. Stunning power, one of the best cars I have used. Unfortunately, a hail storm wiped it out.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Several of my in-laws in Holland have either Tesla ( one has the roadster  :evil: ) or Opel electric cars. The Dutch government and councils encouraged this concept by freely installing charge points outside their homes.

A few years back I drove a mate's Hybrid Lexus 400. Stunning power, one of the best cars I have used. Unfortunately, a hail storm wiped it out.

If I had 100+ K laying around spare I would be tempted by one of the Lexus Hybrids. I've watched a few reviews about them on You Tube. I know how good my 2012 Hybrid Camry was. Add some extra height for easier access, a V6 engine for a bit more poke and some extra sound proofing and Lexus Luxury... Yum  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
"one of the best cars" slips off the tongue, but I mean it. We both grieve its loss.  :neutral:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

"one of the best cars" slips off the tongue, but I mean it. We both grieve its loss.  :neutral:

Wasn't it insured?  :undecided:

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
I have the Ioniq Hybrid (non plug-in) and enjoy it.  70 mpg for me, nice size and love the toys.  I don't think I can have a car that doesn't have adaptive cruise again after this.
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDi comfort auto (pre facelift) & 2017 Hyundai Ioniq hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have the Ioniq Hybrid (non plug-in) and enjoy it.  70 mpg for me, nice size and love the toys.  I don't think I can have a car that doesn't have adaptive cruise again after this.

Me too with the cruise. I can't really see why some don't like it. I reckon it makes longer trips so much more relaxed.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Me too with the cruise. I can't really see why some don't like it. I reckon it makes longer trips so much more relaxed.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Because I have a dominating personality and can't hand over control to a car.  :evil:

That and the worst economy I got in the Kia loancar I had was with it deployed. Cars with cruise control seem to want to get back up to speed as soon as possible, which is the natural enemy of fuel economal.  When I control the car I can look far ahead and adjust my speed for traffic snarls which if you slow down a bit earlier may be gone by the time you reach them, adaptive cruise just slows the car relatively quickly when you reach them, then takes off again when your through.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Because I have a dominating personality and can't hand over control to a car.  :evil:

That and the worst economy I got in the Kia loancar I had was with it deployed. Cars with cruise control seem to want to get back up to speed as soon as possible, which is the natural enemy of fuel economal.  When I control the car I can look far ahead and adjust my speed for traffic snarls which if you slow down a bit earlier may be gone by the time you reach them, adaptive cruise just slows the car relatively quickly when you reach them, then takes off again when your through.

In my SR (in Normal Mode) mine is pretty leisurely to slow down and regain speed when auto cruise is set (about the same as I would be), which is fairly conservative after learning with a diesel and two Hybrids. :cool: 

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: beerbelly
... adaptive cruise just slows the car relatively quickly when you reach them, then takes off again when your through.

There's an option in the Ioniq setup to change that from "slow" to "standard" to "fast". Seems to make little difference though - the behaviour is much as you describe, with random unwanted braking when starting an overtake manoeuvre and rapid catch-up when past.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Me too!  :cool:

Or maybe its an insecurity complex.  :crazy2: Anyway, I enjoy driving and thinking about how I should best deal with the next 100 metres.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal