i30 Owners Club

Car suddenly turns off at 70 mph

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

• Hyundai i30 2011 CRDi Automatic
Hi guys,
I was on the motorway today doing about 75 to 80 mph. After about 5 minutes the car cut off poers the eps, airbag and oil light came on. No gas was going into thr car because there are no roms
The car started fine again
 But shut off again at 75 with the same problem. Also there was a sudden jerk before it stopped the first time but not the next tine.
What I noticed is that as long as I stay below 75. The car doesn't havw any problem
Any ideas please!
I serviced the car
I have hyundai i30 2011 fd crdi
Many thanks
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Does it stall, or just lose some power? If it stalls that explains the power to the steering dropping out and the light coming on. I can't really explain why only happening ovet 75 mph though!  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Have you checked for fault codes yet as this may indicate what is happening.

How long have you owned the car?
I ask as if just recently bought you may have a warranty you can use.

How much fuel in tank?

I ask as if low, possible fuel pump not providing enough fuel to engine.

If fuel to brim, may be vacuum and restricting flow.

Correct fuel in car at last fill up?

Fuel filter changed at correct time?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

It starts to gradually lose power then the diesel pedal won't give the car any rpms. I would say give it 5 minutes at 70 then just the rpm drops slowly and the lights show. Any idea of what it could be? his is a second hand car on 69000 miles. The same fuel filter from when bought from the person is still there (my father doesn't think it should be changed  :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:  Otherwise I would have done it myself
Many thanks.
By the way, it definitely the car didn't just lose "some power" it lost all the power
  • Hyundai i30

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

The problem is I don't have code diagnosis reader? I am hoping to buy one soon.
I "owned" the car for about a year now, it is a second hand on 69000 miles. I do service the oil. However, because my dad thinks it's a good idea to keep and not check or change the filter or transmission fluid until about 120,000  :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: , I cannot do anything. He wants to be in charge of the car service
The fuel is full.
I put in the car ultimate diesel and I am pretty sure it wasn't petrol, otherwise the car would have done this to me yesterday.
Like I mentioned above my dad is responsible for the service and he thinks I am lunatic when I tell him about servicing the filter or transmission.
Sorry, I have two questions what do you mean by "If fuel to brim, may be vacuum and restricting flow."
And second do you think this sounds like transmisson sliping? Because my transmission oil is brown and has no red to it.
Many thanks,
Any hints would be great
  • Hyundai i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Sorry, I have two questions what do you mean by "If fuel to brim, may be vacuum and restricting flow."

And second do you think this sounds like transmisson sliping? Because my transmission oil is brown and has no red to it.
Many thanks,
Any hints would be great

For q1
Due to the lack of free space in the tank you can sometimes get a point were there is no free flow.  A vacuum occurs and this acts like a stopper preventing the fuel being sucked thro' the fuel pipe.

If you remove the fuel tank cap you will hear a hiss.  Slight hiss is normal but louder not.
So venting to tank may be compromised.

Q2
Someone with auto knowledge will reply.

Re fuel filter.
I think the service book says replace ever 20 or 30k's or thereabouts.
Filter collects muck etc in fuel so if clogged up then fuel flow will be restricted.

By chance have you allowed fuel to drop very very low as if so could be muck in system.

Fuel pump........have you ruled this out as cause?

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

Many thanks,
Any hints would be great

For q1
Due to the lack of free space in the tank you can sometimes get a point were there is no free flow.  A vacuum occurs and this acts like a stopper preventing the fuel being sucked thro' the fuel pipe.

Q2

Re fuel filter.
I think the service book says replace ever 30k's or thereabouts.
Filter collects muck etc in fuel so if clogged up then fuel flow will be restricted.

By chance have you allowed fuel to drop very very low as if so could be muck in system.

Last week I let the car go down to three dashes --- drove on it 2 miles I believe then refilled it about yesterday?
So lets say there is a muck in the system, what paets has to be changed?
  • Hyundai i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Low fuel light come on?

Is 3 between 1/4 and 1/2 full on your car?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Many thanks,
Any hints would be great

For q1

Q2

Re fuel filter.
I think the service book says replace ever 30k's or thereabouts.

Last week I let the car go down to three dashes --- drove on it 2 miles I believe then refilled it about yesterday?
So lets say there is a muck in the system, what paets has to be changed?
I think checking for codes is a good start if it throwing up lights on the dash. That jerk may have been when the electronics quit on the transmission. Pretty sure the ECU is also the TCU as well.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I wonder if it's a revs thing? If you only accelerate gently to get up to 70mph  that may be the first time you are seeing 3000rpm. Sounds a bit like limp home mode to me. Could be fuel filter issue. Sounds like worth changing. Shop around though as diesel filter is quite dear from some places. If someone can find the part number I am sure it is the exact same part for the kia ceed and soul diesel and may be cheaper.   :cool:

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

Low fuel light come on?

Yeah the fuel light comeon
  • Hyundai i30

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

I wonder if it's a revs thing? If you only accelerate gently to get up to 70mph  that may be the first time you are seeing 3000rpm. Sounds a bit like limp home mode to me. Could be fuel filter issue. Sounds like worth changing. Shop around though as diesel filter is quite dear from some places. If someone can find the part number I am sure it is the exact same part for the kia ceed and soul diesel and may be cheaper.   :cool:
Yep I always let it gradually go up to 70. I did order a fuel filter I'll be replacing it tomorrow and reporting back.
One thing I jusr want to understand can you put biodiesel in these things?
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
hi laser,
I've never owned a hi diesel auto, only manual's.
but when you say cut out, do you mean the motor shut down and was not running at all?

there was no fuel filter issues in 2011, I know everyone are telling you to change the filter, & I was always religious in changing mine. but your using good fuel bp ultimate diesel, the diesel I have now has a water trap with water sensor before the filter, & that has a clear glass trap. I check it a lot never see any dirt trapped in it or laying at bottom. & a guy I know who's wife has owned two Ford Focus turbo diesels and he services. he has never changed the fuel filter the first one had 190,000k on it, the new one they got a few years back has over 200,000 going good dct ( auto ) still never had fuel filter changed they use bp ultimate all the time.

back to your problem does the engine completely shut down when this happens?

I would not run bio diesel.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Low fuel light come on?

Yeah the fuel light comeon
Ok so my best guess is possible crap been sucked thro' line and snagged in fuel filter, so may be clogged.

I'd start with a change of filter, circa £30, i think.

Details on how to change has been documented on this site so use search to locate.

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

Yes the engine completely shuts off. How I know that is because when I lost all the power I tried pressing on the gas pedal again and nothing is happening. I just don't know if it stalled or or the power just cut out.
You're recommending not to use biodiesel does that mean I should remove all the diesel in the ystem and refill it with the normal one
Many thanks for the help
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Biodiesel could be the problem! How full is the tank if say only half full and putting in new filter fill back up with normal diesel, hopefully this would dilute enough to help. I don't think biodiesel is even sold in Tasmania?

It depends apparently on various things .. Personally with a 6 year old car I'd probably stay away from it. Especially after this issue which may or may not be related.

:link: Cars Ok on Biodiesel | Biodiesel Filling Stations

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

The car is nearly full on diesel. And biodiesel is sold in the UK by the way but I am not sure about Tasmania.
Do you think I have to take all of the biodiesel out of the car then refill it. Or just keep refilling it with normal diesel and that will dilute
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The car is nearly full on diesel. And biodiesel is sold in the UK by the way but I am not sure about Tasmania.
Do you think I have to take all of the biodiesel out of the car then refill it. Or just keep refilling it with normal diesel and that will dilute

It is hard to know if Biodiesel is the problem. Is this the first time you've used it?  I still think a new  fuel filter would be the best thing to try first.  :cool:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Yes the engine completely shuts off. How I know that is because when I lost all the power I tried pressing on the gas pedal again and nothing is happening. I just don't know if it stalled or or the power just cut out.
You're recommending not to use biodiesel does that mean I should remove all the diesel in the ystem and refill it with the normal one
Many thanks for the help

I think you should check nothing is loose in the ignition with area, like a plug in the wiring up on steering wheel where you switch the power on & off, as if you have a loose or warn connection there it could shut motor off completely . but strange happens at 70mph what rev are you doing at that speed?
if I can remember Hyundai used to have in owners manual  in the fd crude's they do not recommend bio diesel  at more than 10% bio, so say 1 imperial gal of bio per full tank of normal diesel  or close to that.
I think it is to do with the car has common rail with very hi pressure injectors. if it used the old mechanical injectors you could use straight cooking oil ( used put through a filter ) but as your in uk and I'm in Australia , ( read bloody hot ) ( bloody cold ) you have to worry about fuel thickening up like wax and not flowing so don't try cooking oil. but I meet a guy driving a very old Toyota 2.8 diesel hi lux and all he uses is used cooking oil has done for a long time.  problem was, he seemed a bit ( you know what) so I would not follow his advice.
hope you sort your problem soon as they are greAt little cars!

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I thought it was 5%?

Which is why I never use bio diesel as those who have it seem to be 'up to 10%'
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

No I always use it, but I rarely go above 70
  • Hyundai i30

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

I can't remember the rev, I am planning to take it for a drive today and  take a video... maybe you guys can get  better picture
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I can't remember the rev, I am planning to take it for a drive today and  take a video... maybe you guys can get  better picture

Good idea!  :goodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Diesel engine
A020201 AUN-EA
Diesel engine must be operated only on commercially available diesel fuel that complies with EN 590 or comparable standard. (EN stands for "European Norm"). Do not use marine diesel fuel, heating oils, or non-approved fuel additives, as this will increase wear and cause damage to the engine and fuel system. The use of non-approved fuels and/or fuel additives will result in a limitation of your warranty rights.
Diesel fuel of 52 to 54 cetane is used in your vehicle. If two types of diesel fuel are available, use summer or winter fuel properly according to the following temperature conditions.
Above -5 deg C (23 deg F) Summer type diesel fuel
Below -5 deg C (23 deg F) Winter type diesel fuel

Watch the fuel level in the tank very carefully: if the engine stops through fuel failure, the circuits must be completely purged to permit restarting.

This is a fairly old quote in regards to biodiesel, the wife is out and I can't check on my manual if it has changed. It reflects an email I received, and stickers in Hyundai diesel vehicles at work not to use biodiesel.

Biodiesel
Commercially supplied biodiesel blends of no more than 5% biodiesel, commonly known as "B5 biodiesel" may be used in your vehicle if it meets EN 14214 or equivalent specifications. (EN stands for "European Norm"). The use of biofuels made from rapeseed methyl ester (RME), fatty acid methyl ester (FAME), vegetable oil methyl ester (VME) etc or mixing diesel with biodiesel will cause increased wear or damage to the engine and fuel system. Repair or replacement of worn or damaged components due to the use of non approved fuels will not be covered by the manufactures (sic) warranty.

Caution
Never use any fuel, whether diesel or B5 biodiesel that fails to meet the latest petroleum industry specification.
Never use any fuel additives or treatments that are not recommended or approved by the vehicle manufacturer.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi guys,
I was on the motorway today doing about 75 to 80 mph. After about 5 minutes the car cut off poers the eps, airbag and oil light came on. No gas was going into thr car because there are no roms
The car started fine again
 But shut off again at 75 with the same problem. Also there was a sudden jerk before it stopped the first time but not the next tine.
What I noticed is that as long as I stay below 75. The car doesn't havw any problem
 i30 2011 fd crdi

Reading your first two posts leads me to believe it is a fuel problem. Doubt electrical. The pump cannot deliver enough fuel because  it is being restricted at a filter, worth changing the one in the engine bay. When or before you do that take a sample of the diesel in a clear bottle. If it looks cloudy you have diesel bug, thanks to your cheap fuel.
But its more likely the pick up in the tank, so lift the back seat swab and you will find  the fuel pick up on top of the tank. A white plastic lid. Remove it and with a torch look for black specks or a deposit insides and especially on the pickup sock. That is advanced algae crud that blocks the system. You will need to drain the tank and clean it.  ONLY THEN use fuel conditioner.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

... and if you don't have a torch, don't use a match or a lighter to see by. :whistler:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
   :goodjob2: That would definitely solve the problem  :cool:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

Hi guys, I know this irrelevant because 60 days, I drop a reply. BUT! Who ever had this problem this is what I learnt:
1- Ultimate Diesel is NOT Bio-Diesel (that's what I thought)
2- If this happen to you change your fuel filter! This helped me a lot: :link: i30 CRDi diesel fuel filter replacement - instroe. I wanted to take pictures but I was under stress of it not working.
Thanks for all the help guys!     
  • Hyundai i30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi guys, I know this irrelevant because 60 days, I drop a reply. BUT! Who ever had this problem this is what I learnt:................................

Friend, The delay is irrelevant.   :D Thankyou for your reply we put in a lot of time trying to help members, but we can never be sure if we are on the right track unless we get feed back.  :goodjob2:
Glad its solved , happy motoring.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi guys, I know this irrelevant because 60 days, I drop a reply. BUT! Who ever had this problem this is what I learnt:
1- Ultimate Diesel is NOT Bio-Diesel (that's what I thought)
2- If this happen to you change your fuel filter! This helped me a lot: :link: i30 CRDi diesel fuel filter replacement - instroe. I wanted to take pictures but I was under stress of it not working.
How long has the filter been in now and when was last shutdown?

My Dad persisted with his CRDi with this kind of issue. Never resolved by the dealer, so will be interesting to see how you go but his was at any speed it would randomly die and fire straight back up in a restart with no issues. :goodjob2:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal