i30 Owners Club

Just bought - 2008 i30 2.0 CRDi - advice on servicing please?!

AntKent · 12 · 3347

Offline AntKent

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
Hi! I've just joined this forum. Hopefully I'll collect a 2008 i30 2.0 CDRi (manual) on Friday.

I'd really appreciate some advice on these cars - common faults, preferred oil (oh no!), servicing tips etc. please. Also, is there anything I need to check or service right away please? It's done around 45,000 miles and has a stamped service book. It appears to be in good condition generally, some interior trim is worn and there's some dog hair(!)

The air conditioning wasn't working but they're going to fix that tomorrow. Hopefully! The 2017 MOT mentioned front/rear brake fluctuation. It's had replacement tie rod ends and other bushes replaced following an MOT failure last year.

Assuming the garage gets the car through its 2018 MOT and fixed the A/C, I was initially just going to change the oil/filters then inspect the brakes. The discs look good - no excessive lip/corrosion. With a new car, I do like to slap on some EBC Ultimax pads and let their break-in coating skim the discs. After a month I intend to have the timing belt replaced, just to be safe.

Thanks in advance, I'm glad there's a forum for this car as I can't even find a Haynes manual for it!!
  • 2008 i30 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: Antkent,

I'm on the other side of the world so won't comment to much on UK servicing.  We have plenty of UK members to do that.

I will say though, that the 2.0 CRDi is relatively rare and 95% + of our diesel owners on here have the newer Chain driven 1.6 litre CRDi. The 2.0 was never sold in Australia and only sold in the UK for about the first 12 to 18 months of the i30's production I believe. Those who have driven one are more than impressed with the performance as even the 1.6 is impressive.

Hope you have a good run with it.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AntKent

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
Hi, thanks for your reply. I was swayed by the extra power of the 2.0, my last car was a Saab so I've been spoiled. Sadly, they don't exist anymore and never made a medium hatchback!

I'm just hoping I haven't made a mistake really, I know it's an older design than the 1.6 but I didn't really like the ones I tested. You may have heard that our Mayor for London, has waged a holy war (jihad?) against diesel engines.

Fingers crossed.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The fact it is 10 years old soon is also a concern, but the i30 is a relatively reliable car compared to a lot of others. You have the added factor of salted roads and stuff over there that can take their toll too. Not trying to scare you though. Hopefully you will have a good run.

Compared to most car forums this one is inhabited by a high percentage of very happy owners.  :victory:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
G'Day AntKent,

:i30:

Agree with Dazz.
45,000 m in almost 10 years - is SFA but get underneath checked out by someone just to be sure. 👍
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi AntKent

:wttc:

Not much to worry about really, I'm happy with my 2008 1,6 CRDi with now 286.000 km. Wish mine had only done 45.000 miles..  :mrgreen:

If the car have the DPF make sure whatever oil you use, is C3 rated.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi AntKent

:wttc:

Not much to worry about really, I'm happy with my 2008 1,6 CRDi with now 286.000 km. Wish mine had only done 45.000 miles..  :mrgreen:

If the car have the DPF make sure whatever oil you use, is C3 rated.

Good point @Shambles can you recall if 2.0 Crdi has DPF (hopefully not) :victory:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Dazzler
Good point @Shambles can you recall if 2.0 Crdi has DPF

I doubt it very much. A number of former contributors have mentioned that there were no DPFs until around 2012 (GD time) though my 2008 FD Premium did in fact have one fitted (which I was told by the service dept was most unusual for the year).
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers for that Steve!   :goodjob:

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Service manual software can be bought online. That will help with most of the services. I think I paid 9 or 10£ for it. I also bought electronic parts catalog with same price. I can search oem part numbers based on VIN number. Helps a lot when trying to get right parts from ebay or other online sites. Best ~20£ I've spent on my car.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline AntKent

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
Hi, thanks for all the comments!

I collected the car today and it does not appear to have a DPF. Which is nice..! There was a funky smell from the fuel tank when I filled up so I bought some biocide additive just to be safe.

One last thing - I believe the car is due for a cambelt change. How much should I expect to pay for a garage to do that please?

Thanks,

-Antony

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
Hi, thanks for all the comments!

I collected the car today and it does not appear to have a DPF. Which is nice..! There was a funky smell from the fuel tank when I filled up so I bought some biocide additive just to be safe.

One last thing - I believe the car is due for a cambelt change. How much should I expect to pay for a garage to do that please?

Thanks,

-Antony
@AntKent    Hi. I had 2.0crdi for a few weeks. It is a great car and engine too but also consumption on 2.0 is a bit higher then on  1.6d. If no DPF installed go with 5w40 shell helix ultra or motul xcess 5w40. Cambelt is very easy to change and is very accessible, 2 hours for a complete job.
  • 1.6crdi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal