i30 Owners Club

i30 Steering Motor Bush & Hyundai's attitude to problem

Offline Alan G.

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Ridgewood
My 2010 i30CW with 140K on the clock is exhibiting the "perennial" steering motor coupling bush problem, first evidenced at approx. 120K.  It seems that Hyundai are well aware of this problem, and 2 dealers I have contacted are able to offer immediate advice as to what the "knock" is in the steering, and a ready cost of repair.  In contacting Hyundai Australia, they eventually - after 3 calls - said that it was - a) Outside Warranty; b) the car was TOO OLD to offer any contribution from them; c) That it was a normal SERVICEABLE PART, just like brake pads!!  I asked for a senior person to contact me to discuss the issue further, and it was only after I wrote to their CEO in March 2021 (with no response) that I finally got a response from them after a further call from me in May 2021 - their Assistant Manager Customer Care in an email dated 7 May 2021. His comments - after an apology for such a slow response - reiterated the "TOO OLD" and "WEAR PART" excuses.  After researching the story of this part, and Hyundai's claim that it is a WEAR PART, one would expect that it should show as an expected serviceable item in their Service Passport, checkable from about 100K onwards, but of course it doesn't - brake pads are certainly mentioned, as are timing belts!!  With dealers charging in excess of $400.00 for the replacement (with a different part number for the bush signifying a change in design or material), this situation needs to be advisable in advance so that the owner can make an allowance in his servicing costs.  Likewise, the safety ramifications of failure of this bush should also be examined.  But surely, this is a design shortcoming that should not be the responsibility of the owner, but rather belongs to the manufacturer.

I am now calling Hyundai - and writing in confirmation - making the same points.  I hope they bother to respond.
  • i30CW 2010 auto

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I doubt you’ll get any help from Hyundai on an 11 year old vehicle.

I’ve just recently sent my neighbour with the same 2010 FD to JAX tyre and autos where they stock an abundant supply of the steering coupling bushes, replaced for $250.

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
Would this make a rubbery type of noise as the wheel is turned in one direction?

I have noticed what i thought was the sound of the rubber boot compressing, but have inspected the boots compressing and extending and its not that. Steering feels fine, its just a rubber on rubber noise and sound like only when the steering is turned to the right.
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Petrol 1.6 Auto Red

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
More of a clunk when mine went.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal