i30 Owners Club

Drivetrain queries

Offline BesseJall

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hey guys, recently looking into upgrading my i30 just because I aesthetically adore the exterior and already own one. I did some research into possible modifications that could increase acceleration such as changing the drivetrain, adding a Lightweight flywheel etc. so concluding i wanted some advice on possible upgrades, the cost of changing a drivetrain (i know its expensive), the advantages of F(ront)WD and to know what upgrades others have done.

Thanks in Advance.
  • 2014, Premium, 5 door hatch, Petrol 1.6 ltr, Manual, Dark grey

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Petrol - diesel, FD - GD ?

For my 1.6 petrol I had the ecu modified to suit my extractors and full exhaust and intake upgrade, at the time I had the ecu done there wasn't to much they were able to do due to security parameters within the ecu but there were small noticeable improvements, mainly in the throttle responsiveness, extractors added more power and can be fitted without having to do the tune.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:welcum: To physically change your drivetrain from say petrol to diesel or from 1.8mpi to 2.0 gdi just isn't economically viable unfortunately.  But as Craig says you can do some small things to slightly increase power depending on what you currently have...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi,
If it's pure power you want,  there should be plenty of performance places around that deal with turbo 4's.
Brake upgrade would be advisable, factory warranty would be gone, ctp and comp insurance would be a real hassle,  defect notice,  etc, etc
The dollars  and legal dramas would rack up real quick !

Probably better off doing the  basic - air cleaner & exhaust mods , sticky tyres and have a heavy right foot.  👍

• 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline BesseJall

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hahaha i already have a heavy right foot and thanks for your contribution, but i'm looking into minor upgrades but hopefully my car will start to push 200hp even if the money is a problem it will be something i can work on with my dad.
  • 2014, Premium, 5 door hatch, Petrol 1.6 ltr, Manual, Dark grey

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Good old dads, handy people at times  :happydance:
Defect Stickers  are no fun - takes so long to get back to a clearance state and then back to the state it got the defect for  :lol?  :wink:
Enjoy and keep us posted .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hahaha i already have a heavy right foot and thanks for your contribution, but i'm looking into minor upgrades but hopefully my car will start to push 200hp even if the money is a problem it will be something i can work on with my dad.
Your signature states "2014, Premium, 5 door hatch, Petrol 1.6 ltr" if you have a 5 door petrol I think you'll find your car will be a 1.8ltr or 2ltr for the SR models, 1.6ltrs only come in the Euro built models like the Tourer and the 3dr or the turbo diesels.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal