HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

VTH · 476 · 230845

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
"numbskull" I love that word.. very descriptive and accurate on this occasion. I've heard it before, but not for a long time.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
"numbskull" I love that word.. very descriptive and accurate on this occasion. I've heard it before, but not for a long time.  :goodjob:
Thought it was about time to bring back the term, I’ve been over using cockwomble  :D

Offline couleurs

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi Guys

I picked up a mint GD-03 unit and a new AUX/USB jack off eBay last week to replace a dead GD-01.

Afterwards, I mistakenly ordered the USB cable from Four Green who have not responded to my any of my emails even though I ordered and paid for the original (96595-A5000) cable. Absolutely useless company. DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM!

I'm considering ordering the replacement part (96198-3W000) from Korean Auto Parts... has anyone ordered from them? or going the DIY route from Digi Key Electronics like the previous poster did.

Great forum!
  • 2014 i30 GD Trophy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Guys

I picked up a mint GD-03 unit and a new AUX/USB jack off eBay last week to replace a dead GD-01.

Afterwards, I mistakenly ordered the USB cable from Four Green who have not responded to my any of my emails even though I ordered and paid for the original (96595-A5000) cable. Absolutely useless company. DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM!

I'm considering ordering the replacement part (96198-3W000) from Korean Auto Parts... has anyone ordered from them? or going the DIY route from Digi Key Electronics like the previous poster did.

Great forum!

Glad you like the forum. Thanks for the warning. Hopefully someone has used Korean Auto parts.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
I bought the rear badge camera from fourgreen and the camera has a problem. Sent them countless emails which they responded only once with a “hello what is the problem of your camera?”. The camera was like €500.
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I bought the rear badge camera from fourgreen and the camera has a problem. Sent them countless emails which they responded only once with a “hello what is the problem of your camera?”. The camera was like €500.

:Shocked:

Did you pay with Paypal or buy via Ebay? Hopefully you can get your money back!  :Pout:

Offline couleurs

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Wow that sucks, looks like I'm not the only one...

I just opened a PayPal dispute with them to get a refund since they haven't responded to any of my emails. If you paid by PayPal do the same. Wasted 2 weeks for nothing.  :fum:

Why do wreckers cut cables instead of removing them properly? especially a simple USB cable  :rolleyes:
  • 2014 i30 GD Trophy

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
You are right!!! I payed via paypal. I will open a case now!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You are right!!! I payed via paypal. I will open a case now!

Hopefully it's within the time limit!  :fingers:

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
Hey all,
I came across this thread hoping I could change my unit to the GD 03. I'm not sure what model I have (see picture) but could someone confirm if it would work or where I could source a GD 03 in the UK?

• I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hey all,
I came across this thread hoping I could change my unit to the GD 03. I'm not sure what model I have (see picture) but could someone confirm if it would work or where I could source a GD 03 in the UK?

GD-03 stereos are an Australian unit supplied on certain 2015/2016 models, your unit appears to have the same fascia shape so it should fit, others in Europe have fitted our model so I'm guessing radio bands will be compatible.

You could try contacing Stanvac :link: Contact Us via email and see if they will post to the UK, you'll need to ask for the - GD-03 head unit - usb module and connecting usb cable.

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I see, they don't make things easy do they  :headbang:
I will contact them see what they say :ta:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I see, they don't make things easy do they  :headbang:
I will contact them see what they say :ta:

It could get messy and expensive if you have any warranty issues. You might be better off buying something locally in aftermarket stereos.

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
The car has just come out of warranty so no problem there. Some of the navigation models do have car play/AA in the UK, but they are expensive even used units I have seen for £600.
The GD-03 sounded like the perfect solution but they are not easy to find. I will keep looking for alternatives see if anything pops up.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The car has just come out of warranty so no problem there. Some of the navigation models do have car play/AA in the UK, but they are expensive even used units I have seen for £600.
The GD-03 sounded like the perfect solution but they are not easy to find. I will keep looking for alternatives see if anything pops up.

I meant issues with the GD-03. If you go to the trouble of switching it over then it has issues. Long way to send it back and get issues sorted.

I would be hesitant buying something electronic and used from the UK to put in my car in Tassie.

There should be an aftermarket (brand new) option available. Not sure how price would compare though. :cool:

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus

I meant issues with the GD-03. If you go to the trouble of switching it over then it has issues. Long way to send it back and get issues sorted.

I would be hesitant buying something electronic and used from the UK to put in my car in Tassie.

There should be an aftermarket (brand new) option available. Not sure how price would compare though. :cool:
I purchased the Gd-03 unit from Australia and I live in Cyprus which is an EU country. I have not been facing any issues with it except from carplay’s music playback which is a fault in iPhone’s software (will be fixed in the coming iOS updates)!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Cool, was your stereo unit like mine and where did you purchase the unit from?

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Cool, was your stereo unit like mine and where did you purchase the unit from?
Yes, I had the exact same as yours and the new one is just plug and play except from the camera wire which you will have to disconnect it! I bought it from an Australian seller on ebay (ultimatejap is his ebay name). He has many of them as he told me and he ships worldwide so, give it a shot!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
A link to help http://ultimatejap.com.au/ webpage contains links to their ebay shop as well.

@aanastasiou4 what was your price through UltimateJap?

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I have just had a quick look at there feedback and I see a couple of GD-03 units being sold recently.

Seems like they are cutting the end of the wires

:link: HYUNDAI I30 RADIO/CD MP3/WMA/AUX/CD/BLUETOOTH, GD, 05/12-02/17 12 13 | eBay

:link: HYUNDAI I30 RADIO/CD MP3/WMA/AUX/CD/BLUETOOTH, GD, 05/12-02/17 12 13 | eBay

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
A link to help http://ultimatejap.com.au/ webpage contains links to their ebay shop as well.

@aanastasiou4 what was your price through UltimateJap?
I paid $255 AUD including shipping!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I have just had a quick look at there feedback and I see a couple of GD-03 units being sold recently.

Seems like they are cutting the end of the wires
I didn't see any reviews mentioning their cutting of cables :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I have found a unit with thanks to @aanastasiou4 and @CraigB

Now all I need is the usb cable to connect the port to the stereo unit as they have none available. Is there any of these for sale anywhere?

Offline Redcari30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi All

First post. I purchased the GD-03 head unit last week from ultimatejap in Smithfield via ebay and it came quickly and well wrapped. $215AU shipped but ebay had 5% off on top so a little less in real life.  The AUX unit came but with the USB cable cut  :-[ but they were clear about that, so no problem there. I have purchased the parts to make the cable Digi-Key Electronics as per a previous poster. I will build the cable and install over the next week and post. Digi were very efficient and the parts came from the USA in 4 days. the parts are cheap but shipping is UPS only for about $25. Still the overall is about $40. I ordered a 'pigs tail USB' cable which means one end is a plug and one bare wires ready to connect which saves a little time. I'll post images and updates
  • 2013 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Auto, Red

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi All

First post. I purchased the GD-03 head unit last week from ultimatejap in Smithfield via ebay and it came quickly and well wrapped. $215AU shipped but ebay had 5% off on top so a little less in real life.  The AUX unit came but with the USB cable cut  :-[ but they were clear about that, so no problem there. I have purchased the parts to make the cable Digi-Key Electronics as per a previous poster. I will build the cable and install over the next week and post. Digi were very efficient and the parts came from the USA in 4 days. the parts are cheap but shipping is UPS only for about $25. Still the overall is about $40. I ordered a 'pigs tail USB' cable which means one end is a plug and one bare wires ready to connect which saves a little time. I'll post images and updates

Cheers for that! Good luck with it! Look forward to your update.  :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What doesn’t make sense is why are UltimatJap cutting the cables :confused: it’s not hard to remove the aircon control panel  :head_knock:

Glad I bought mine through Stanvac.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
What doesn’t make sense is why are UltimatJap cutting the cables :confused: it’s not hard to remove the aircon control panel  :head_knock:

Glad I bought mine through Stanvac.
I asked the seler the same question and he told me that he said many times to the employees that disassemble the cars not to cut the wires but they keep doing it.

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
I have found a unit with thanks to @aanastasiou4 and @CraigB

Now all I need is the usb cable to connect the port to the stereo unit as they have none available. Is there any of these for sale anywhere?
You are welcome my friend!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal