Author Topic: HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE  (Read 5278 times)

• au Australia
    New South Wales
Hi Craig

Thanks for the advice. Glad I didn't order one :)

Matt
  • 2014 i30 Elite

• au Australia
    Perth
  • 2013 i30 GDi SE 3dr, 1.6 Ltr Petrol, 6 Spd-M
Hi Craig

Thanks for the advice. Glad I didn't order one :)

Matt
No problem :)

Hopefully someone with a late model satnav unit that has the apple play and android option can confirm what model name is given to their unit.

• us United States
    VA
First Off, great guide, thank you!!!!

I just purchased a GD-03 from a wrecker in Aus, but will be attempting to put it in my 14 GT (US i30). Talking with some of the guys in the elantra gt/i30 facebook page, I was able to source this image of the aux pinout, that I'll attempt to wire into the main harness. Also I think.... to be clear think... that the santa fe aux/usb plug PART # 961202W500 comes with an extension cable for the dash that would work for this connector (TOO bad we just need the cable). I should be able to chop-off the end for a quick splice. Thoughts?
[/url]
  • 2014 Elantra GT (US i30)

• au Australia
    WA
If you do not have the GD-03 USB assembly you can buy a pre-made cable like this one

Thanks for your post Samgregory. I'm in the situation of having a GD-03 and the wrong usb/aux assembly (wrecker just pulled one from an early 2015 i30 and won't refund it)

Just to confirm, can you use a single-row (1 port) of a USB motherboard header to female USB cable? Such as one of these?

:link: Startech Panel Mount USB A USB Header 90cm Cable - USBPNLAFHD3 - PLE Computers Online Australia
 or
:link: USB 2.0 A Female Socket to 5Pin Male Panel Mount Header PCB Motherboard Cable TP 962160709912 | eBay

Edit: I now realise what you mean by pitch - the cables i mentioned are probably the traditional 2.54mm pitch and won't work. They need to be 2mm pitch, I understand. I'm now looking at :link: Panel Mount USB Cable Assemblies (since pcpartsandcables seems to be down) edit2: l-com want $50 USD for shipping for a $10 cable (shipping isn't calculated on their website - they email you after and ask for shipping)

I have bought some "seeed grove" cables from the iot website and will cut a usb extension cable instead. Probably 2-part epoxy it into place.

I popped the heatsink off the back of the GD-03 unit and it looks like it would be really easy to solder directly onto the mainboard where the USB socket is.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 22:45:35 by christurnbull » »
  • Early 2015 i30