i30 Owners Club

Australian vs USA exhaust tune..? i30 SR vs Elantra GT Sport

Offline jaycelazatin

• 2nd Gear

• Victoria, Australia
I noticed in a couple of youtube videos that the i30 SR in Australia sounds NOWHERE NEAR as nice as the (Elantra GT) one in the US.

Can someone tell me why that is and what I can do (that hopefully doesn't cost too much and short of replacing the whole exhaust system) to my i30 SR here in Aus to get it to sound more throaty like the american one?

Here's a couple of videos to compare

Australia (skip to 1:06)

USA

Thanks guys
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 SR Manual (Sunroof) PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
This question rang a bell.. Some ideas in this similar thread...

:link: US Elantra and i30 Turbo exhaust sound vs the rest of the world's
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Pommie5037

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      SE Queensland
I'm certainly interested in getting my SR to sound like the US version but I'm not overly sure of the best way to do it without going for some kind of custom setup, has anyone seen PD I30 SR specific systems?
  • 2017 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6ltr Turbo SR White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'm certainly interested in getting my SR to sound like the US version but I'm not overly sure of the best way to do it without going for some kind of custom setup, has anyone seen PD I30 SR specific systems?

See Craig's post (#4) in the other thread I linked to. Should be just a case of swapping out the muffler part for a straight through resonator or a couple of "hotdog" resonators (one for each side) :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I would think our epa would not allow stock pipes to be altered same with insurance? they say if you modify a car with all the electronic stability control and abs they would have to go for private testing by an engineer to ensure all safety standards still meet . so if was mine I would not touch them

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I would think our epa would not allow stock pipes to be altered same with insurance? they say if you modify a car with all the electronic stability control and abs they would have to go for private testing by an engineer to ensure all safety standards still meet . so if was mine I would not touch them
I doubt the epa care what anyone does with their muffler @Lakes  Mufflers have nothing to do with contaminate removal, they’re simply for sound absorption and as long as the noise limits aren’t exceeded it’s not an issue.

You could probably remove the muffler altogether and it still wouldn’t be as loud as your motorbike  :wink:

My insurance company know of all my changes and I’m fully covered :) as is the manager of Rockingham Hyundai who quite proudly shows off his 400hp Veloster to many of the customers who would like similar modifications :D

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I doubt the epa care what anyone does with their muffler @Lakes  Mufflers have nothing to do with contaminate removal, they’re simply for sound absorption and as long as the noise limits aren’t exceeded it’s not an issue.

You could probably remove the muffler altogether and it still wouldn’t be as loud as your motorbike  :wink:

My insurance company know of all my changes and I’m fully covered :) as is the manager of Rockingham Hyundai who quite proudly shows off his 400hp Veloster to many of the customers who would like similar modifications :D

hi Craig , my bike just has stock pipe so not loud, I meant noise pollution . they do tests here, now I can hear sounds like some people don't care.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The exhaust would have to be excessively loud to be pinged for noise pollution, I was surprised my Clubby never got picked for noise pollution with basically straight through twin 3” Di-phillipo system on it :crazy1: they would also have to pull 90% of the Harley’s of the road if they decided to crack down on noise.

I suppose the idiotic hoon drivers might get themselves into trouble with noise but if not being an idiot and attracting attention then I doubt anyone would ever have an issue with getting themselves reported.

John, now that you can hear better you should revelling in all that sweet sound :D
Dreams are made with the sound of V8’s and the smell of methanol  :happydance:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal