i30 Owners Club

Diagnostics Socket and software?

Muzz258 · 14 · 8627

Offline Muzz258

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Timaru
Hi, 

I have an Australian market i30, JD, diesel 1.6L U2. Spent some time looking for the OBDII socket and could not find one.  Even looked in the inside fuse box next to the drivers side A pillar.

Found a diagnostic socket under the hood/bonnet but its not OBDII.  Most likely a Hyundai specific socket.

1) Is there a OBDII socket hidden somewhere?
2) Are there plugs etc available to fit the under hood/bonnet socket?
3) What are people using for diagnostic software?

Thanks

Muzz
  • 2015 GD i30 1.6L CRDI Wagon

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Do Kiwis RHD vehicles? I forget. Anyway assuming RHD, Driver side attached to the panel under the steering column, right side,
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yes, I spotted the one in the engine bay only yesterday after all this time. eBay has a range of cheap OBD2 ELM327 plugs both wired and Bluetooth. I haven't needed to use one yet but those who have will tell you of their favourite software.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
I ordered a cheap Chineses ELM327 obd2 reader for fault diagnosis on the bette half's Getz. I didn't realise they don't link up with any Apple devices due to Bluetooth compatibility problems, and no fixes available. Just for Android and you need to buy software like torque if you need to do any real fixes.

So may try it on a Samsung tablet with android at a later date if I can be bothered
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline turtleneck

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
The uncapped / open socket in the fuse box below and to the right of the steering wheel is the OBDII port. The capped socket marked 'DIAGNOSTIC' in the engine bay behind the driver's side headlight is the Hyundai GDS connector, which you won't be able to use without a (relatively) expensive tool and software (check eBay).
  • 2012 GD i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I should point out I've assumed this is FD i30, if it's GD series  I won't know.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I once read some OBD standard. Can't remember what it was or if the manufacturers use it these days. It said that the OBD port should be close to the driver for easy access. And here was some max distance also determined. Could it have been 50cm?  So usually the ports are found somewhere around steering columns, close to the driver.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Sort of makes sense and sort of doesn't. With Bluetooth and the attention to driving distractions, anywhere would do these days. Standards always have trouble keeping up with technology, just like legislation and ethics. :D

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Very strange I have just found the socket in the engine bay never noticed it before. The one under the dash on drivers side fits the Bluetooth reader I have. So now reading this link will now forget the engine bay one. The thing that threw me was this one the hinged top is marked  diadnosis.
Just like Penny Lane very strange.
 :whistler: :whistler:
  • 2011 Comfort. 5door diesel 1.6 CRDi auto White.

Offline Dilbert

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Vic
I once read some OBD standard. Can't remember what it was or if the manufacturers use it these days. It said that the OBD port should be close to the driver for easy access. And here was some max distance also determined. Could it have been 50cm?  So usually the ports are found somewhere around steering columns, close to the driver.

was just cruising the forum for a clue and came across this .....don't think it a nuisance.
I too read somewhere about this.  At the outset of these On Board Data systems, California's EPA laws required that the plug be 'in reach' of an inspector standing outside the vehicle/or was it with one foot still on the ground.
I've always followed that lead when looking for an OBD2 connection. Seems to apply.
Also read the original plug was under the bonnet/hood and the automotive industry placed the plug where road trash would destroy them ....the following models moved after this further legislation by Cal EPA.
Near all automotive manufacture complied with California law .....otherwise your sales would be limited for obvious reason.
 Seems all feasible to me ......think I read it in wiki 

may have to buy myself a reader.  anyone using a lead and lappy. Looks like I may have to get myself a girlfriend with an iphone ......going by most of the stuff offered.  Isn't my preference at all.  What's the go guys?

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 02:53:16 by Dilbert »
  • i30 FB Com VX & 73 Holden 3onthetree

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I think the BT option beats wired. So does phone or tablet over laptop. Just better for not cluttering up your driving space.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal