i30 Owners Club

Tyre talk again sorry !

pben1 · 15 · 3488

Offline pben1

• 1st Gear

• LIMERICK
Hi Guys,

Picked up a 2009 i30 - 1.4 Comfort last week, so far so good apart from the 4 cheap tyres 185/65/R15's ,it's not a good a mix.

Have read some of the threads on here regarding tyres an would like your views on my options. I checked my local car forums for the best tyre tech in town, I found the guy an had a chat with him today. He's 37 years in business one those places you tend to over look just a basic shed type place, tyres an noting but tryes.

I said my main issue is the db levels an he has recommended, Dunlops , Avon both at 68 db. I asked about the Conti's C5 but they come in at 71 db. Price wise they start with Avons / Dunlops / Conti's , with a difference of around €20 in all not really an issue.

Anyone had experience with the above ?

pben1

• Hyundai i30 1.4 Comfort

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The noise levels quoted by manufacturers are the external noise of the tyre as it is driven past a decibel meter at a set speed and distance. They do not reflect the cabin noise generated by a tyre. A quiet tyre in a drive by test is not necessarily quiet from inside the car.

For example - a 20" very low profile tyre may well create low external noise but cabin noise and ride comfort due to the stiff tyre walls are likely to be compromised.

The best tyres I have tried for lower cabin noise are Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance followed closely by Continental Premium Contact tyres. 
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I had the Goodyears on my 2011 1.6 diesel, and they were pretty good, although they were 205/55/16. Recently replaced with Hankook Ventus Prime 3. I know it depends on driving style, but tyre life seems very good on the i30, generally around 30-35,000 miles before the tread is down to 2mm.
  • i30 CRD

Offline pben1

• 1st Gear

• LIMERICK
So the Conti's would be the best option then out of my current list. 

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

I wasn't happy with the Contis that my GD i30 was delivered with. Had to replace them after such a short while.

QUIET? yes.

LONG LASTING? No.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Welcome,

Sounds like it depends on how much mileage you do. If you do say 10,000 miles or more a year then maybe see what you can pick up some of the goodyears Alan mentioned at a competitive price.

You could also google for reviews on the Dunlops and Avons (with the specific model and size of tyre included ) searching for reviews. Owner feedback is probably the best guide.

Although here is fairly recent general review that might give you some options to investigate.

:link: Wheels Tyre Test 2017: Eight brands compared

Michelin Primacy LC are a quiet tyre too. You don't have to limit yourself to just that one supplier.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Also, just because one tyre from a brand tests quiet doesn't mean all their products will.

If you are staying with the 15" rims, look at fitting 195/65R15 size. Your rims should take either size but the slightly larger one is more commonly fitted OE by Hyundai and will be marginally smoother and quieter.

Many small cars, especially hatches throw up a fair bit of cabin noise regardless of tread pattern, so make sure you leave the back seat up and the hatch cover in place. There is more noise if the seats are down.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline pben1

• 1st Gear

• LIMERICK
Looks like I'm down a rabbit whole here , never considered the larger tyre will have to research

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Looks like I'm down a rabbit whole here , never considered the larger tyre will have to research

Worth researching our suggestions if you have the time to get a good result. There is always a compromise. My suggestion would be to set a maximum budget you are prepared to spend and then narrow it down to a few that get good reviews for wear and quietness and then see who can supply them locally.  :cool:

Offline pben1

• 1st Gear

• LIMERICK
Okay think I've narrowed it down to the DUNLOP SPORT BLURESPONSE which were on my list, reviews are good "quite" is mentioned a lot.

:link: Tyre Search Results

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline pben1

• 1st Gear

• LIMERICK
Avons,Conti,Dunlops are available to me here an now , will be getting the rubber next week.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Okay think I've narrowed it down to the DUNLOP SPORT BLURESPONSE which were on my list, reviews are good "quite" is mentioned a lot.

:link: Tyre Search Results

Looks like a good choice.  :victory:

Offline pben1

• 1st Gear

• LIMERICK
Update,
Got the new tyre's on last Friday DUNLOP SPORT BLURESPONSE upgraded to 195/65/R15, overall happy with them.

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Keep us posted on how they develop!
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal