i30 Owners Club

PD I30 SR & Android Auto

Daz78 · 15 · 5813

Offline Daz78

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi everyone.

I've had my PD I30 SR for nearly a year now and have had an Apple 8 Plus up until a few weeks ago. I had minimal issues using Apple Car Play but now I have a google pixel 2 XL and Android Auto is dropping regularly.

Is anyone else having this issue and if so, did you resolve? If you resolved, how?

I went out and bought brand new USB C to USB A cables but the problem has no resolved. These were cables from Officeworks though so maybe the quality isn't good enough.

All information and stories about your experience with Android Auto is welcome.

Steps taken to resolve so far:
New cables purchased, no fix. Better quality cables ordered.
USB debugging mode turned ON.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 22:19:34 by Daz78 »
  • 2017 PD SR 1.6T DCT Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Daz,

It's Dazz here..  :snigger:

I love Android Auto but I occasionally have issues. It has got a bit finicky about reception lately (well that is what I assume is causing my issues).

I have been using a short 30cm cable I got from K-mart in a twin pack! So I doubt your cable is the issue. I have a Samsung S8 and so I have to use a little adapter thing that came with my phone to convert the phone end from USB C to whatever the new type is called.

My main issue lately is that it often hangs when I ask it to send a message. Sometimes it struggles to understand my message too (both issues have been worse lately)

Maybe something has changed with an Android Update. Here is an example of what happens.

I say send message to "xxxxxx Mobile" and she says "OK, send message to xxxxxx Mobile or Home?" If I said send to mobile she didn't used to ask which phone!  :crazy1:

Then I say the message I want to send and she repeats it back (accuracy seems to be down on what it was - I seem to have to say change it more often now)

THen when I'm happy and say "send it"... It will just sit there thinking (spinning dots) for a couple of minutes! :fum:

So I hit the red hang up button and repeat the process.. Seems to happen a lot more than it used to. I am going to try and get a better cable that doesn't need an adapter.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Daz78

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
It sounds like you have a micro usb cable and you're using the adapter to make it a USB C connection.

The pixel doesn't come with a USB C to USB A cable so I have had to use aftermarket.

Google sells a cable ($30) but it's not currently available.

I am going out later today so I will test the USB debugging being turned on and see if that makes any changes.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It sounds like you have a micro usb cable and you're using the adapter to make it a USB C connection.

The pixel doesn't come with a USB C to USB A cable so I have had to use aftermarket.

Yeah I think you might be right. I can actually use the proper cable that came with the Phone now as I just bought a wireless charger for my phone via Ebay. I just like the shorter cable (less clutter) Be interested to see if the original cable makes any difference, but I doubt it.  :cool:

Offline Daz78

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Update:

Switching on USB debugging on the Pixel 2 XL has done nothing to alleviate the issues with AA dropping out.

There is chatter on the interwebs that the issue is a software update with the Pixel phones. I am now just waiting on the newly ordered/better quality USB cables to see if that helps or not.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I've swapped to the original cable that came with my phone now I'm using wireless charging in house. I have ordered a couple of short USB to USB-c cables off Ebay.  :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I hope you guy's have better luck with cables than I've been having, mine being an iPhone is the only difference though it also disconnects periodically too.

I've found it's rather picky about cables that it'll accept for Car Play and two cables so far, a Yellowknife and Mcdodo brand wont even recognise, they work fine for charging in the house but in the cars USB port they are non discoverable so it's back to using Belkin or genuine at this stage :disapp:

Offline Daz78

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
so it's back to using Belkin or genuine at this stage

Before going to the Pixel I had an Iphone 8 Plus and the only cable I had any success with was the original.

Offline Daz78

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Update:

Google's genuine USB A to USB C cables came back in stock and I got one. Since using the genuine cable I have had zero dropouts for the last 200km or so. That's running Waze (navigation) and streaming a podcast.

My findings are genuine is best.

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Hi, just a bit of info from the Android Auto experts here...

Recently rented a Kuno & attmpted to get it working with the Kuno's AA.
Will AA only work with cable connection? & Not BT
Does the AA app need to be installed on the phone?

Thx
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
AA only works on my Ioniq via cable, and only if the app is installed.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

AA only works on my Ioniq via cable, and only if the app is installed.
:whsaid:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I've swapped to the original cable that came with my phone now I'm using wireless charging in house. I have ordered a couple of short USB to USB-c cables off Ebay.  :goodjob:

They came and they work fine so far. Wasn't much dearer for two than one, so i thought I'd get a spare.

:link: Short 20CM USB-C USB 3.1 Type C Male to 2.0 Type A Male Data Charge Cable Cord E | eBay

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Bought one of these for a spare in the car recently, had the occasion where passengers have needed to recharge & forgot to bring their compatable cable - was on special recently for $1.07

Joybuy Triple Connector
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Great buy at the price you paid Neville and a good idea.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal