i30 Owners Club

PD SR Stereo Install. Speaker, Amps, Subwoofer

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Impressive!  My age and some of my health conditions mean I prefer peace and quiet lately. I've finding other ways to spend the money you guys are spending on your stereos.  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Impressive!  My age and some of my health conditions mean I prefer peace and quiet lately.
Dazz I put sound deadening in the door skins and rear floor to reduce road noise. that would that help improve your inner peace ???  :rofl: :whistler:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Impressive!  My age and some of my health conditions mean I prefer peace and quiet lately.
Dazz I put sound deadening in the door skins and rear floor to reduce road noise. that would that help improve your inner peace ???  :rofl: :whistler:

Did it make much difference.  I'm pretty sure my new tyres made a bit.  :goodjob:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Impressive!  My age and some of my health conditions mean I prefer peace and quiet lately. I've finding other ways to spend the money you guys are spending on your stereos.  :mrgreen:

I guess.. Apart from the 2 amps & crossovers, as I already owned them from my previous car..

But I drive 45 - 50 mins to work..  So it helps to make the drive a bit more pleasant.
Also i do like my audio quite clear..  It's the same with my home theatre set up :)
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I guess.. Apart from the 2 amps & crossovers, as I already owned them from my previous car..

But I drive 45 - 50 mins to work..  So it helps to make the drive a bit more pleasant.
Also i do like my audio quite clear..  It's the same with my home theatre set up :)

I had  Bose speakers with I think a Panasonic stereo in my Calais V and I must admit I probably did play more music due to the improved sound.

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Also i do like my audio quite clear..  It's the same with my home theatre set up
I must be from the same mould as you Purplehazeffc, less than optimal brings out my OCD, and I gotta fix it.  :eek:
I have a separate dedicated 6mm T&E supply installed for my home hifi from the Distribution /fuse board with $500 kettle leads plugged into upgraded Clipsal GPO wall sockets to the equipment. oh and a couple of $80 unobtainium/iridium plated fuses just to ensure cleanest power supply goes to CD and amps.  :crazy1:

By the way your install looks very neat, where as mine is still messy due to further upgrading. I may also need to add stiffeners to lower amp shelf. need to fine tune as some tracks sound absolutely amazing then im tweaking audio control bass level control for another music genre as feel bass overpowers  :crazy2:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Also i do like my audio quite clear..  It's the same with my home theatre set up
I must be from the same mould as you Purplehazeffc, less than optimal brings out my OCD, and I gotta fix it.  :eek:
I have a separate dedicated 6mm T&E supply installed for my home hifi from the Distribution /fuse board with $500 kettle leads plugged into upgraded Clipsal GPO wall sockets to the equipment. oh and a couple of $80 unobtainium/iridium plated fuses just to ensure cleanest power supply goes to CD and amps.  :crazy1:

By the way your install looks very neat, where as mine is still messy due to further upgrading. I may also need to add stiffeners to lower amp shelf. need to fine tune as some tracks sound absolutely amazing then im tweaking audio control bass level control for another music genre as feel bass overpowers  :crazy2:

Same..   At that age now where the volume is not what I'm after.  It's the quality. And with quality, comes the volume....
I can play mine quite loud. But it's also just so clear. Where I get into the Mrs Kia Cerato. Sometimes she has it quite loud (she is deaf in one ear)
And it's just to harsh. I can't stand it..    So having big amps is just not about how loud it is. It's more on how clean & crystal clear it is..

My home theatre I'm not that fussy lol..   But sounds like an awesome set up though..    Great sound just brings movies more alive.
Mine is now at a point. I would rather watch a movie at home than go to a cinema.  For the sound anyway. Got nowhere to fit a bigger screen than my current 65"

Offline Kovacs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Can anyone give me some steps on how to remove the door panels, such as where the screws are located and so forth? I would greatly appreciate it.
  • 2018 i30 Elite 2.0L

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
This was supplied by another member Lil Weg which should help you
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/files-50/CrutchfieldInstructions-2642300007.pdf

Offline Kovacs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Offline Kovacs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi all,

I took off the door panels tonight to have a good look at what's involved with the speaker upgrade and was hoping someone could answer the couple of questions I now have.

- First of all, what have people done to convert the Hyundai plug so that you can put it on the speaker terminals?

- Is taking off the plastic skin under the door panel (as pictured) difficult to do? Given the entire outer steel door skin is devoid of sound deadening, I was wondering whether to sound deaden it, but don't know how difficult taking the plastic skin with window motor/regulator off and putting it back on correctly would be.

- Where do people buy speaker brackets? I am looking to install some coaxial 6.5" Alpine speakers, but don't know where to get appropriate brackets that will fit properly.

• 2018 i30 Elite 2.0L

Offline Kovacs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I have found the answer to the second question, for all those interested see the video in the link.

:link: Removing Door And Inner Skin with Window Motor On a Hyundai i30 / i30N - YouTube
  • 2018 i30 Elite 2.0L

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Hi all,

I took off the door panels tonight to have a good look at what's involved with the speaker upgrade and was hoping someone could answer the couple of questions I now have.

- First of all, what have people done to convert the Hyundai plug so that you can put it on the speaker terminals?

- Is taking off the plastic skin under the door panel (as pictured) difficult to do? Given the entire outer steel door skin is devoid of sound deadening, I was wondering whether to sound deaden it, but don't know how difficult taking the plastic skin with window motor/regulator off and putting it back on correctly would be.

- Where do people buy speaker brackets? I am looking to install some coaxial 6.5" Alpine speakers, but don't know where to get appropriate brackets that will fit properly.

Hey..
I didn't do any sound deadening at all.  Would it be better?? Of course it would. But I get pretty good bass performance without it.
Plus the PD's are a fairly noisy anyway. So while driving I don't think the benefit would be there.

For the speaker wire. I just cut off the std Hyundai plug off, and soldered wires that go to the speaker.

To mount the speaker I used pre-made MDF speaker spaces. Then used black mastic to glue them on. With only using 4 screws.
:link: Aerpro | First Choice

Offline Kovacs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I installed a pair of Alpine R-S65.2 in the front doors yesterday, applied some Dynamat to the doors and the speakers have noticeably less bass than the stock ones!! I doubled checked the polarity of the speaker wiring which was correct.

Any ideas why this might be? I understand that they could do with more power, but I've run similar sorts of speakers on stock headunits and there isn't this little bass at low volumes. I don't know whether the speakers need breaking in due to their rigid surrounds, but wouldn't have thought that would have caused them to have such poor bass, especially with the Dynamat over stock.
  • 2018 i30 Elite 2.0L

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If nobody comes up with any solution on here why not contact Alpine Australia and see if they can help you troubleshoot the issue. Or alternatively if you or friend has a good relationship with an audio installer pick their brains as well. They could be faulty too. Stranger things have happened!  :cool:

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
I installed a pair of Alpine R-S65.2 in the front doors yesterday, applied some Dynamat to the doors and the speakers have noticeably less bass than the stock ones!! I doubled checked the polarity of the speaker wiring which was correct.

Any ideas why this might be? I understand that they could do with more power, but I've run similar sorts of speakers on stock headunits and there isn't this little bass at low volumes. I don't know whether the speakers need breaking in due to their rigid surrounds, but wouldn't have thought that would have caused them to have such poor bass, especially with the Dynamat over stock.

a couple of suggestions these speakers are 2 way and not very efficient at 4 ohm 88db compared to OEM speakers (i cant recall exactly but around 2 Ohm 91db) so the Alpines will be much harder to drive. Every 3db is twice as loud  Have you removed/replaced dashboard tweeters as they may be consuming headunit power? you may just need more amplifier power to get them to sing and move them bass drivers

Offline Kovacs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks for the suggestions Crusty. I didn't realise the stock speakers were quite that efficient at 91dB, but that would go some way to explaining it.

I couldn't pry the tweeter covers off to do just that, but I may have to have another crack at it. Might have to just get some spare tweeter covers from a wrecker.

I think I'll have to install an amplifier at some point.

• 2018 i30 Elite 2.0L

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
I don't think the headunit will have the required power to give the sort of bass you are looking for.
So as Crusty has said in regards to the lower 88db compared to the 91db.

My rear speakers still are running off the headunit. And have nowhere near the bass performance as the Morel's in the front doors.

So I would say the easiest way out, if your OK with the volume level. Is just to install a subwoofer to increase the bass performance.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal