Author Topic: Another 2017 i30sr starting problem  (Read 189 times)

• au Australia
    ACT
Another 2017 i30sr starting problem
« June 11, 2018, 03:14:22 »
I believe I have seen the same issue. I have a 2017 i30 SR Premium purchased Jan this year.

It happened 3 times the day beore the 1500km checkup and its happened about half a dozen times since. Naturally, it can't be replicated by the service technicians. The first time we suspected it was fuel related but Ive only put 95 in it since then. At the 10,000km it just had they tested again and found nothing of note either.

From my troubleshooting and observations I think its power realted or maybe starter time out related.  When it happens, the multimedia unit doesnt seem to power up and stays dark. The vehicle starts but the engine warning light shows. If I press the start button it usually shuts off the engine and it will then start as normal on the next try.  Once or twice pressing the start button has tried to start an already running motor but a second press will stop it and itll start fine again next try.

This has happened when the engine is both cold and warm. But like others mentioned, it seems more common to happen when its warm and Ive been at the shops for 30min to an hour.

Ive noticed during normal starting that the multimedia unit powers on with the engine, so if the engine takes longer to start then the multimedia unit is delayed.  The time seems to vary each time the vehicle is started.  There is a Hyundai logo that shows only about 1 in 10 starts where as most times it goes straight to the safety warning screen.  Its almost as if the engine starts right as the time out kicks in, leaving the engine running with a computer that thinks it didnt start.  Just my thoughts.

Next time it happens Ill try pressing the accelerator like suggested to see if that completes the ignition process.

• 2017 i30 SR Premium

• Laughter is the best medicine. .
  • au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
  • Best Car Forum on the Net
Re: Another 2017 i30sr starting problem
« Reply #1 : June 11, 2018, 03:31:30 »
Welcome Khuntza,

Thanks very much for that feedback. I wonder why only some are doing it? Mine is fine so far, but obviously it makes me a bit nervous. It is common enough I'm trying to get Hyundai to throw all their resources at getting to the bottom of it, but seems to be falling on deaf ears so far.

I was going to post something on Hyundai Australia's Facebook page but I doubt it would get past the Admin.  :undecided:
  • MY18 PD SR & 2014 1.6 GDi Tourer (Prev had 2008  i30 CRDi & MY11 Petrol CW)

• england England
    Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
« Reply #2 : June 11, 2018, 03:52:05 »
I'm just going to split this additional info into its own thread. Time HY did a meerkat and looked over their silk screens into the real world.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

• au Australia
« Reply #3 : June 11, 2018, 04:59:34 »
Have we tried to isolate it to a month of build? Is it an early batch?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

• Laughter is the best medicine. .
  • au Australia
    Devonport Tasmania
  • Best Car Forum on the Net
« Reply #4 : June 11, 2018, 05:27:58 »
Have we tried to isolate it to a month of build? Is it an early batch?

Mine is pretty early. The latest reporter has a newer build than me. We could ask for the build month of  the affected cars. Good thinking beerman.
  • MY18 PD SR & 2014 1.6 GDi Tourer (Prev had 2008  i30 CRDi & MY11 Petrol CW)

anything