Android Phone Expert Needed

AlanHo · 9 · 1958

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have a Samsung Galaxy A3 phone loaded with the latest Android update.

I hardly ever use it with data switched on and only rarely is it used on WiFi. It's only purpose is as a phone which again is used very infrequently

For the past year I have recharged it overnight every 2 or 3 days but suddenly the battery is losing power from 100% to 10% in just 12 hours. This without data switched on or any WiFi use.

Today I used the phone for checking my Emails - for about 5 minutes and it has been unused ever since - yet after just 8 hours from unplugging it from the charger the battery is now reading 12%. I have checked all the settings, data, WiFi and Bluetooth are all switched off and there are no Apps loaded.

The same thing happened to my wife's identical phone a few weeks ago but the problem went away after a few days for no known reason.

Ant ideas anyone?
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If no new apps have been installed which may be trying to call home or activated other features like GPS and there is nothing running in the background then the battery could be on it's way out :undecided:

I guess you've tried a restart...other than that I've got NFI :neutral:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
If no new apps have been installed which may be trying to call home or activated other features like GPS and there is nothing running in the background then the battery could be on it's way out :undecided:

I guess you've tried a restart...other than that I've got NFI :neutral:

Craig took the very words outa my mouth....  I haven't had an Android phone for ages but it's my recolection that the batteries are easy to change.  Do be aware of the so called NEW BATTERY scams.   :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

On most phones the batteries are easy to change - not so with the Galaxy A3. It is glued together with a heat seal membrane and has to be opened with a heat gun, then re-sealed.

I have my doubts that the battery is the problem - only because my wife's phone had a similar problem but it went away mysteriously.  I can only hope mine does the same - if not I will replace the phone with another model.

The problem with that is finding a small smartphone with the features I need. Phones are getting bigger - my pocket is not.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
If you're using Oreo (which I think you hinted at) you can look at the task list and inhibit background processor/data usage on a per-app basis.

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Its not the battery, youre experiencing a classic wakelock, some app is prevention the phone from entering deep sleep/hybernation.

Solution is to either remove the culprit app, or reign it in. Check the battery usage stats what has been draining power. Or Use betterbatterystat to find what is causing the wakelock. Usually Google Play store is the culprit, which we need installed.
Greenify will help your phone hibernate apps when the screen goes out. Thi k this might rewuire root though.

Localisation settings could also be keeping the phone woken.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Have you tried watching its drainage while in Airplane mode?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Where is the phone kept?

Is it possible that it has got moisture in it?

Sent from my ATU-L11 using Tapatalk

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I have solved my battery life problem. Last evening while having a fiddle with the phone I found buried in the bowels of the settings, a battery save option that had become turned off.

Here are the steps

Settings
Device maintenemce
Optimise - let it run to completion
Battery - which gives a choice of battery save OFF or MID or MAX
Mine was OFF - Pressed MID then APPLY
It then carried out the necessary operations.

Today it was 100% when I unplugged it from the charger and is now at 71% 10 hours later.

I have made 2 phone calls today and used the WiFi for about 30 minutes to browse the internet. I also used Bluetooth for about 40 minutes trying to copy my address book to Libby's phone.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal