i30 Owners Club

Noise while driving at speed

Offline necromncr

• 1st Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia
Hi everyone,

This is my first technical question and not being from car-technical area I might use non-standard words for car parts. Please be kind.

So to the point: my i30 has had worn out brake rotors for a while and not recognising this we drove around for.. half a year? Now I replaced brake pads and installed new rotors and a noise started appearing while driving. I first noticed it while driving and it was preset with transmission engaged or just coasting. Oddly enough I noticed reoccuring noise and used phone app frequency analyzer to determine where the noise.. I'm babbeling. Sufficed to say it was not normal.

I lifted the car on jack-stands and ran the car with wheels up - it started making a noise. THe noise was there with one wheel blocked and also when the other one was blocked (while the opposite one was always free to spin). The noise can be heard here:

I got under the car to inspect where the noise was coming from and there my knowledge ended - it made this sound seen in this video:
I have no idea if that's normal and how much "wiggle" can between axles and .. the center piece .. can and must be and if that noise is problematic. I'd really like to know what that is, if it's DIY fixable, how serious could it be..

Does anyone of you have experience with this sort of issue that can share with me/us? Thanks in advance for your insight.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 12:17:53 by necromncr »
  • i30cw 2009 Czech factory

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My only experience of that type was replacing the right axle on a Renault Fuego, which was front wheel drive as well. Even then there was no such play as that. I think that's excessive. :Shocked:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline necromncr

• 1st Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia
My only experience of that type was replacing the right axle on a Renault Fuego, which was front wheel drive as well. Even then there was no such play as that. I think that's excessive. :Shocked:

Right axle, ok. That was my thought as well - one of the axles have play (thanks for the term). I went to hold the wheel while turning the axle - there was really miniscule amount of play in either side. Then I held one wheel fixed and turned the other - the results can be seen in the video. I also rotated both at the same time, same direction and somewhat same force (hard to do while lying on the back in the middle of the car) and the play was still there. Could this indicate the play is not in the wheels axles? How can axle play be diagnosed? Is there any directly visible indication or is it by feel alone?

What might affect the situation is that one of brake rotors did not want to separate from .. wheel bearing? I used heating technique (just slight, it was warm to the touch) and used rubber mallet to make it move bit by bit. At the time the wheel was rotated to it's max to it's outside direction.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Googling expressions like 'excessive play cv' gives a wealth of video and discussion info for you.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=excessive+play+in+fwd+axles&oq=excessive+play+in+fwd+axles&aqs=chrome..69i57.10060j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline necromncr

• 1st Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia
Googling expressions like 'excessive play cv' gives a wealth of video and discussion info for you.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=excessive+play+in+fwd+axles&oq=excessive+play+in+fwd+axles&aqs=chrome..69i57.10060j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thanks.. I did some test runs and left / right steering produced no clicks. Also car was not shaking when accelerating and breaking. What I noticed while driving around is reverse gear got twice as loud when letting off power - I'd say metalic noise.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal