i30 Owners Club

Injector rail problem for engine replacement from 09/07 to a 2009 engine

munro7389 · 83 · 16328

Offline munro7389

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Hi, I have recently had to replace my engine as it had seized up. My car and old motor is September 2007 diesel. The engine I bought and replaced it with was an 09 model. Which run a different fuel injector rail. So when the new motor was In there was a plug left over for the fuel pressure regulator from my old engine. Do the car won't start. Does anyone have a solution on how to either bypass the fuel pressure regulator (as the new one doesn't have one) so the ECU isn't trying to read it? Or get rid of the fuel pressure regulator plug all together?
  • 09/2007 i30 diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi, I have recently had to replace my engine as it had seized up. My car and old motor is September 2007 diesel. The engine I bought and replaced it with was an 09 model. Which run a different fuel injector rail. So when the new motor was In there was a plug left over for the fuel pressure regulator from my old engine. Do the car won't start. Does anyone have a solution on how to either bypass the fuel pressure regulator (as the new one doesn't have one) so the ECU isn't trying to read it? Or get rid of the fuel pressure regulator plug all together?
Amazing, you're the 2nd person to do this , this year. I'll see if i can find that post for you doing a SEARCH.

I would consider swapping the old motor hardware to the new engine it that area.

How did it seize? Did the turbo fail? What Kilometres? Curious
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline munro7389

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Timing chain snapped. Had 345,000kms so got good use.
The car the new motor come out of is an auto also the engine was purchased from a wreckers.
  • 09/2007 i30 diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Timing chain snapped. Had 345,000kms so got good use.
The car the new motor come out of is an auto also the engine was purchased from a wreckers.
Ouch, much warning? I got a 388000K example manual, turbo already gone, replaced , chain is a little rattly cold first up.

And I um, well, drive it spiritly. Do have a spare auto myself not as many as gary though, @nzenigma  :lol: :whistler: :mrgreen:

Oh , note the return line hose is also slightly different and injector coding, where in QLD are you?

And gary and I were checking out that extra thingy that ol mate in VIC mentioned, think it's a heater of some type

Offline munro7389

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Yeah mine didn't have the extra plug that he eventually had. But I only had 1 plug left over and that was the fuel pressure regulator as I used my old look. Wreckers cut the old one. Will the return lines plumb up if I use my old rail on the newer engine? I'm in the gold coast. I damaged the old rail unfortunately it's super hard to find an early 08 rail. Hyundai wanted $3000 for a new one. Joke I thought.
  • 09/2007 i30 diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Yeah mine didn't have the extra plug that he eventually had. But I only had 1 plug left over and that was the fuel pressure regulator as I used my old look. Wreckers cut the old one. Will the return lines plumb up if I use my old rail on the newer engine? I'm in the gold coast. I damaged the old rail unfortunately it's super hard to find an early 08 rail. Hyundai wanted $3000 for a new one. Joke I thought.
I think and I'm guessing but it makes sense that the junction on the older model is just  a mounting point on th erail and 2 differing hoses. On the later one it's one piece and routes straight back to wherever the other goes.

So appears you could use the old rail but route the new return line of the newer motor. All untried for me.

I'd love to help more but today i must reunite with the flock at redland bay this morning.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
314002A410

:link: Auto Part Item View : 314002A410 (31400-2A410) RAIL ASSY-FUEL for HYUNDAI / KIA SPECTRA CERATO 04-08

probably about a grand from korea not economic for this age vehicle.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
replaced it with an 09 model which runs a different fuel injector rail. When the new motor was [installed] there was a plug left over for the fuel pressure regulator from my old engine.

Where is/was the pressure regulator situated in the 07 setup?
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
replaced it with an 09 model which runs a different fuel injector rail. When the new motor was [installed] there was a plug left over for the fuel pressure regulator from my old engine.

Where is/was the pressure regulator situated in the 07 setup?
look at the image I posted.  The big thing on the end. If you check out your stock you should see the difference  ;)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 Reg on pump
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Reg on pump
I don't think he's on about  the pump. It's the rail.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
That's why I was trying to clarify some points in his first post.

I assumed that your images = what he had on the 2007.

Now he will have a pressure regulator on the top of the 2009 fuel pump.  " Wreckers cut the old one." may mean he has no plug that will fit it.

You cant run with a bypassed regulator, as he suggests, so I would find the correct plug and swap it for the 2007 plug. Plug into the 2009 fuel pump and hope.  :undecided:
The 2007 ECU may function ok with this configuration.

While the next solution is to go back to a 2007 rail, he will still have to get the new pump to play old too.

Offline munro7389

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I looked into it and it appears that the 2008 up has a built-in fuel pressure regulator meaning there is no where for my plug to go. I've repaired my old rail. Going to plumb up the fuel lines and see how I go after that.
Just hope it all goes smoothly
  • 09/2007 i30 diesel

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Good luck. let us know the results.  :)

Offline munro7389

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
So I returned the incorrect engine. Hopefully get a refund.
Just got another issue now. Does the manual gearbox/engjne have the bellhousing separator plate on it or is it just the auto transmission? I can't remember if it had one on my car originally and I think I retured the spacer plate with the did engine.
  • 09/2007 i30 diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

That is for the U version manual, both 5 & 6 speed 

Auto is showing no plate.

The U2 motor is a different part number again

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
This one is in Brisbane.

:link: HYUNDAI I30 ENGINE DIESEL, 1.6, D4FB, TURBO, FD, ALLOY INTAKE, 09/07-03/11 | eBay

Jan 2008 so is the same configuration except Auto. You can see no plate for Auto,  but more importantly correct fuel rail version.

Good ks, good price

VIN  KMHDB51TR8U072359

matching engine number should be : D4FB8U490583, difficult to locate on these.

Vehicle images match VIN

Offline munro7389

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I just purchased a motor delivered from the sunshine coast for $550
  • 09/2007 i30 diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Fair enough. How many K's? Worked out the plate issue?

Just found this one. Probably around the same cost for anyone else looking for the early variant.

:link: CHEAP PARTS HYUNDAI I 30 2008 D4FB 1.6 LT DIESEL WRECKING | eBay

143000K $400

Offline munro7389

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
65,000 kms. Not yet. This was an auto. So I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow and collect my original plate from the wreckers
  • 09/2007 i30 diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
65,000 kms. Not yet. This was an auto. So I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow and collect my original plate from the wreckers
  :brilliant: Bet you're glad you only have to go through this every 400000K  :Touch: :mrgreen:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I returned the incorrect engine. Hopefully get a refund.
Just got another issue now. Does the manual gearbox/engjne have the bellhousing separator plate on it or is it just the auto transmission? I can't remember if it had one on my car originally and I think I retured the spacer plate with the did engine.

I have a 2009 and 2010 motor both came from a manual and they did not have a spacer, so you should be good to go.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I returned the incorrect engine. Hopefully get a refund.

I have a 2009 and 2010 motor both came from a manual and they did not have a spacer, so you should be good to go.
life would boring if we all  agreed.  :Pout: j

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
[/quote]

:undecided: I think we do agree, because my motors are not U2.

I wonder how many years Gus (Caloundra HY wreck ) has been waiting to sell a 2007 motor.?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

:undecided: I think we do agree, because my motors are not U2.

I wonder how many years Gus (Caloundra HY wreck ) has been waiting to sell a 2007 motor.?
[/quote]  I dunno but I get the impression some are not aware of that change early on. At least one wrecker avertised his early D4FB as suitable for all models
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 00:52:14 by tw2005 »

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Suspect most wont. I haven't seen many 2007 models, most wreckers will probably never have to think about it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Suspect most wont. I haven't seen many 2007 models, most wreckers will probably never have to think about it.

Yeah they'd be pretty scarce! Only released in Sep 2007 and very limited numbers delivered in Australia until Feb/March 2008 when we got our first one (SLX CRDi Manual)  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal