i30 Owners Club

DCT driving tip?

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all

I am 2 days away from picking up the i30 SR.  Since it all DCT, and turbo, is there anything i need to watch out for?

Do i need to take it easy for the 1st few thousands KMs etc?

Kind Regards

Blazorax
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Because the torque starts low down the DCT in normal mode tries to keep the revs down to the start of the torque curve just above 1500 RPM. Because there are 7 gears it can do this around town and only goes to around 2500 RPM at highway speeds.

Even if you drive it with a bit of spirit in Sport mode (which a find a bit trigger happy) you will very seldom see 4000 RPM unless you are being a lair. The torque is at its strongest between 1500 and 4500 from memory, so no need to redline it.

Just drive it normally and it will be fine. Don't go backing trailers uphill or creeping on long uphill sections as apparently this is not good for the dual clutch.   I use my Autonomous cruise as much as possible and it just tags on to the car in front. Just keep your eyes out for anything random which might happen. I have my foot handy to the brake just in case, but i find it a very easy and relaxing car to drive.

I've done 33,000 kilometres in 14 months including about 8000 on mainland road trips and haven't had any issues whatsever with the operation of the DCT.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thx bro.

This will be my 1st Turbo car, so I have no idea what i am in for.  Considering it is only like 10-11km from my place to work.  I'll take it slow like you suggested.  Do I need to warm up car in the morning and idle a bit before shutdown?  I've read that old turbo engine require that but not sure about this new one.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thx bro.

This will be my 1st Turbo car, so I have no idea what i am in for.  Considering it is only like 10-11km from my place to work.  I'll take it slow like you suggested.  Do I need to warm up car in the morning and idle a bit before shutdown?  I've read that old turbo engine require that but not sure about this new one.

I don't believe there is a need to do either. If you were driving at high revs on a highway for a while and then pulled in for fuel at a highway fuel station it would be a different matter about idling for a couple of minutes, but with 7 gears it's only doing a bit over 2500 RPM at 110 kph I think so my scenario isn't going to happen. 

Offline Flower

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, New Zealand
Drive it like you stole it!! :) Just remember it's manual with an automatic clutch and not an automatic with a torque converter. 
  • 2018 PD i30 1.6 Turbo Limited Hatch

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Drive it like you stole it!! :)

Hahaha, I have not steal a car before so I wouldn't know what to do Flower :)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 23:43:32 by Blazorax »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Drive it like you stole it!! :)

Hahaha, I have not steal a car before so I wouldn't know what to do Flower :)

Good answer!  :lol:

Plus, most people who steal cars these days seem to crash them!  :crazy1:

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Use "auto hold" and do not crawl with all the other morons who cannot stop where they should in traffic cues . That slow crawl is like slipping the clutch on a manual car. The DCT box will do the same (slip the clutch) that will heat up the plates. Do enough of that and it will damage the clutches.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
So how to get around the crawling problem when you’re stuck in gridlocked freeway traffic every morning and afternoon to and from work for some people :undecided: can you put them in 2nd for example and it’ll hold that gear so it’s possible to creep without clutch slip :undecided:

I’m just asking as I’ve not owned a DCT equiped vehicle before...

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
So how to get around the crawling problem when you’re stuck in gridlocked freeway traffic every morning and afternoon to and from work for some people  can you put them in 2nd for example and it’ll hold that gear so it’s possible to creep without clutch slip 

I’m just asking as I’ve not owned a DCT equiped vehicle before...
Valid question Craig. I have never seen an official "guide" to this so my own way of dealing with this issue is to stop when necessary, then allow the car in front to get ahead by half a car to a car's length before I move. Distance depends on how pushy my "neighbours" are around me. Also, I try to estimate the actions of the cue in the front, so I can roll as much as possible without coming to a stop. The box will handle slip, designed into it, but excessive amounts will glaze the clutch plates. Just don't ask me what is "excessive" ;)
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks Hati :goodjob2: I'm wondering whether in these grid locked scenarios if changing over to manual shift would give the clutches better life :undecided: my folks might end up with DCT in their next car mid next year so just researching what might be best for them, and if it's possible for them to change their driving style in those crawling situations after so many years with standard torque converter boxes.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Is it possible to have "AUTO HOLD" turn on automatically rather than I have to press it @ every time I start the car?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Is it possible to have "AUTO HOLD" turn on automatically rather than I have to press it @ every time I start the car?

No, apparently not.  :cool:

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
If you buy a PD2. Someone said here that the new PD will leave it on for you.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers Hati, I must have missed that. Good if they revised it.  :victory:

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

I have a PD2 Elite and I can confirm that it  definitely does NOT default to the ON state when the vehicle is started.
Someone did indicate a while ago that it will remain activated but, sadly, that is not the case..
Pity really because it's actually quite a nice function to have.
  • 2018 PD2 i30 Elite 2.0 white

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I have a PD2 Elite and I can confirm that it  definitely does NOT default to the ON state when the vehicle is started.
Someone did indicate a while ago that it will remain activated but, sadly, that is not the case..
Do the 2ltr engines use a DCT gear box, I thought they were torque converter type :undecided:

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
Do the 2ltr engines use a DCT gear box, I thought they were torque converter type :undecided:

Whoop's, just realised this is a DCT thread.
Yes the 2lt PD2 is a Torque Converter, so my observation may not be relevant to the DCT gearboxes.
Carry on chaps. :faint:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Whoop's, just realised this is a DCT thread.
Yes the 2lt PD2 is a Torque Converter, so my observation may not be relevant to the DCT gearboxes.
Carry on chaps. :faint:

No probs, easy trap to fall in to. We do it all the time.  :cool:

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I have an I30 SR Premium PD2, and it definitely do not stay active as you start the car.  It does stay on once I started the car and press the button, then it will continue to stay on until I turn off the engine.

So next time I start the car, I have to turn it back on again.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have an I30 SR Premium PD2, and it definitely do not stay active as you start the car.  It does stay on once I started the car and press the button, then it will continue to stay on until I turn off the engine.

There is a small possibility it has been incorporated into some menu in the settings to configure it to stay selected in the PD2. Not saying it is, but that would explain why someone may have reported it as possible.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Ahh .. I can see some lovely time with that manual again tomorrow.

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

There is a small possibility it has been incorporated into some menu in the settings to configure it to stay selected in the PD2. Not saying it is, but that would explain why someone may have reported it as possible.

I have been through the menu options on the steering wheel and I can't find a setting for it there, unless it's well hidden in a sub-sub-sub menu somewhere.
Happy to be proven wrong again :snigger:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers wooly, was just a thought...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
just reading this thread .
so the DCT that the PD SR uses, has an auto hold? ( no hand brake ? )
I was telling my Father when he told me he was looking at up grading to a new car, was also saying a KIA Cerato could be on the list. but said the closest dealer was about 20k away the closest Hy dealer only 6k. I told him Dazz mentioned no hand brake, they have auto hold ( I was in a friends new VW Golf & it had that too, was a manual 6 speed 1.4 ). but after he got the new PD poverty pack auto. he let me drive it, noticed it had a hand brake. so I think with DCT the just use that to stop car rolling back on a hill stop. am I right? the lady with the new golf manual said, she has driven manual all her life & likes changing gear, was surprised no hand brake , but said she now likes the auto hold, just touch a button & I think auto release as you let clutch out.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
No, there is a separate hand brake. It is electric and it is activated by its own switch. Auto Hold acts on the main brakes and as such turns on the brake lights too. It keeps the brakes under pressure once you apply it so you can take your foot off the pedal at the lights. Applying accelerator will release this but handbrakes will stay on as manual handbrakes would.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No, there is a separate hand brake. It is electric and it is activated by its own switch. Auto Hold acts on the main brakes and as such turns on the brake lights too. It keeps the brakes under pressure once you apply it so you can take your foot off the pedal at the lights. Applying accelerator will release this but handbrakes will stay on as manual handbrakes would.

Thank Hati. Well explained. I confused John.. Should have said no manual handbrake lever.   :head_butt:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

in a round about way, thats what I thought.
the new VW golf I went for a ride in was a real manual with a clutch. not a DCT. the lady who owns was saying was hard to find a new one and no dealer had in stock to test drive, had to order without testing.
Hy are the same as I went to test drive a PD manual SR ( or any PD petrol ) but salesman at Batemans Bay said just have to buy sight unseen as they don't keep in stock. ( very sad )

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
the lady who owns was saying was hard to find a new one and no dealer had in stock to test drive, had to order without testing.
Hy are the same as I went to test drive a PD manual SR ( or any PD petrol ) but salesman at Batemans Bay said just have to buy sight unseen as they don't keep in stock. ( very sad )
I've seen some stats quoted not long ago. According to that over 90% of ALL cars sold are auto. That's why they don't keep stock of manuals. By the time they sell one it will be superseded by a newer variant. It was the case back in 2011 when I bought my CW manual from the dealer. Unseen.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal