i30 Owners Club

long diesel life

burner · 10 · 7275

Offline burner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melb
For long engine (diesel) life is it better to run around the suburbs in sport and let the engine rev between 2-3K or  let it labour a bit in the biggger geers of the standard setting?

I don't like to "labour"" the engine but in power you are working the engine through more revolutions for the same work?
  • PD CRDI

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I would think somewhere between 1500 and 2500 rpm are best suited for diesels as they develop their torque quite low and don't need to rev, wont hurt it to give it the odd squirt in the higher rpms now and again though :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The DCT would be designed to manage the engine revs for optimum engine management. I would just leave it in normal.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline burner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melb
sometimes in standard transmission mode it doesn't kick back enough (12-1300rpm) so to me it does "labour " a bit?

When an engine labours  wouldn't it be hard on the big end bearings compared to wear everywhere else due to all the extra rpm??
  • PD CRDI

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As Dazzler mentioned the auto box will look after it, that's how it's designed.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

sometimes in standard transmission mode it doesn't kick back enough (12-1300rpm) so to me it does "labour " a bit?

When an engine labours  wouldn't it be hard on the big end bearings compared to wear everywhere else due to all the extra rpm??

Has that model got steering wheel paddles? If so I'd drop down a gear in those situations. Seems bad design.

@Hati  Yours is a DCT diesel isn't it. Does yours labour?

The new SR Turbo petrol has similar peak torque range (from 1500 rpm) and the DCT is quite clever in keeping the revs around  1500 (but not below)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Hati Yours is a DCT diesel isn't it. Does yours labour?
Yes it does in Eco and normal mode. Sport mode keeps it a bit above where I would keep it if it was manual, but the other two modes get to 6th around 60 km/h or thereabouts so your revs are only at around 1200. This is all in the name a fuel saving. My theory is that Hyundai wouldn't let the engine management allow such low revs if it was hurting the engine.

I don't like it either so I drive it in Sports when it bothers me. In that mode drops a couple of gears and gets close to 2k in revs. Haven't driven it enough yet (just ticked over 8000 k in nearly a year) to work out how to keep it where I like the revs to be. It does have tiptronic so can be driven like that but didn't experiment with it much as yet. At higher speeds it keeps the revs closer to 2k (just under at 110) so it's usually low speed town driving that feels like labouring.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the feedback Hati. Excellent!   :goodjob:

Sounds like us SR owners are lucky in that regard then. The calibration for revs v torque appears to be better in the SR. Mine never seems to be labouring.  :victory:

Offline noels_hobby

• 2nd Gear
not an auto driver but for what its worth look at the tyre pressures !
I say this because @60km/h on a flat road i30 fd 5 speed will roll quite happy in 5th gear at low revs with 38+psi but at 32psi struggles and labours - higher tyre pressure is used to combat edge wear issues with the 2010 i30 and has the side effect of less rolling resistance.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :MeToo:

41psi front and back, no problem with labouring, and long tyre life, even on the mighty Diamondbacks. :victory: :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal