i30 Owners Club

2018 PD2 SR Premium suspension failure

bws2570 · 81 · 14080

Offline bws2570

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney Australia
On Tuesday 06 November 2018 night something in the front suspension dramatically failed whilst I was driving along.

It is a new 2018 - I30 SR Premium with 3000kms on it and
purchased on 02 October 2018.

There was no warning ⚠️. It just went bang!

The vehicle was towed to  Hyundai as a result.

I have now been informed that  the front passenger  suspension has failed.

I am extremely concerned that the structural integrity of this vehicle is now questioned.

If I had been driving along the motorway at 110km the result could have been quite different.

For a new vehicle to have such a dramatic failure in the suspension is unacceptable.

All I30 owners should be made aware of the possible fault.

It could have caused an accident!

So you could be sitting on a ticking time bomb that could go off without warning like mine did.
  • I30 PD2 SR Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Very unfortunate for that to happen :Shocked: it's the first I've heard of any issues with suspension :confused: I'll be keen to hear what the Hyundai report says as to which part has failed.

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Yeah thats a bit ordinary, what part failed ?
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
More like Bit extraordinary . Appreciate your advice about this, please let us know what part failed. Thanks.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@bws2570
Ptiy you've joined like this, thanks for informing of your fault.   :goodjob:  :goodjob2:
G'Day bws2570 ( beer wine spirits 2570?  :lol:) ( just moved out of 2570 postcode )
 :i30:

Agree with what Craig said.
Demand a written report of what was faulty, and that it's listed on the service history for your VIN.
Keep us posted
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 06:21:46 by mickd »
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hopefully a one of although I have a slight noise in my left front when coasting on smooth bitumen at low speeds which I'm going to get investigated at my 40k service. I suspect a flat spot on the tyre. It may not even be from the left front, but it seems to be in that area.  :undecided:

BTW, Welcome and sorry to hear of your troubles. Generally over the last 10 years or so Hyundai quality and reliabilty has been close to the top in surveys.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Such a big failure so early I wonder if you have grounds for a new one?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

Major failure.
Australian Consumer Law  :undecided:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Oh!!!! Come on mate :evil: What big failure?

Lets not wind this up to Facebook level conversation.

No faulty part reported!

Owner said: Big bang, front suspension dramatically failed !

Personally Ive never had this occur on any car in 55 years of driving!

Owner apparently did not try to determine the failed part / damage.

I suspect owner hit a foreign object.  :phone1:

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Yeah best to leave the  pitchforks in the cupboard until further information has been provided.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
But I like my pitchfork  :evil:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Don't tell me I've wasted two hours collecting firewood for nothing :disapp: :evil:

Yeah best to leave the  pitchforks in the cupboard until further information has been provided.
I tend to keep ours in the barn/shed :snigger:

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Don't tell me I've wasted two hours collecting firewood for nothing :disapp: :evil:

I tend to keep ours in the barn/shed :snigger:

I live in suburbia so no barn for me.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I do hope we get to hear a final verdict on this.  :undecided:

I believe you have already given the the i30 SR a 1 Star review on another website in view of this failure.  :disapp:

I'm sure it is not a design fault or a quality issue. I have taken my June 2017 SR more than 40,000 kilometres including some pretty rough roads (like corrugated gravel on Kangaroo Island) without any dramas. She has performed flawlessly!   :cool:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I believe you have already given the the i30 SR a 1 Star review on another website in view of this failure.  :disapp:

I find that disappointing. @bws2570 is obviously upset. You can see how an unsupported report can generate a motor mouthing episode.
Given that the owner took a week to report this incident here,  I suspect that Hyundai has disputed the allegation of mechanical failure .

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Given that the owner took a week to report this incident here,  I suspect that Hyundai has disputed the allegation of mechanical failure .

I'm happy to give the owner the benefit of the doubt until we hear otherwise. I don't want to alienate anyone :whistler: because we need to get an update on this.  :cool:

Offline bws2570

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney Australia
Must be a few Hyundai employees or contractors  commenting on here deflecting fact from fiction. 
The facts are I did not hit anything and Hyundai have taken full responsibility for the failure.
  • I30 PD2 SR Premium

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Must be a few Hyundai employees or contractors  commenting on here deflecting fact from fiction. 
The facts are I did not hit anything and Hyundai have taken full responsibility for the failure.

Thankyou for your reply. I take full responsibility for the comment about you hitting an object. I am a semi-retired mechanic with no connection what so ever with hyundai Corp.

Unfortunately, we have no facts to deflect or to support your incident.
We would appreciate it greatly if you could reveal the cause of the failure.

Thankyou, Gary

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's good that they have taken full responsibility.  :goodjob:

Generally Hyundai have been better than many other mainstream brands in taking responsibility in these situations. COmpared with VW, Ford, Holden, Chrysler and a number of others... So you should take that into account in any reviews you do. I do understand your shock and disappointment. The New PD has had more initial QC issues than the previous 2 Series unfortunately (but it does have more tech to go wrong) :cool:

Have they advised what actually happened or what failed yet?

I'm kind of hoping it was an assembly issue rather than a component failure.

NZ isn't a Hyundai Employee or Contractor, but he is very protective of Hyundai's good recent reputation based on his own positive experience servicing and repairing predominantly Hyundai i30's for a good number of years.   :cool:

Offline bws2570

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney Australia
Mmmm.....seems strange that some commenting on this have the time in their lives just scrolling through websites, motoring ones that is, looking for reviews on Hyundai’s and then making unfounded, negative, distracting comments on the message people are trying to get across. Now that to me sounds more like a job or their on some motoring company payroll perhaps......
  • I30 PD2 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mmmm.....seems strange that some commenting on this have the time in their lives just scrolling through websites, motoring ones that is, looking for reviews on Hyundai’s and then making unfounded, negative, distracting comments on the message people are trying to get across. Now that to me sounds more like a job or their on some motoring company payroll perhaps......

I wish! I could do with some extra income!  :D

Purely coincidence. I certainly didn't comment on your review. I spent yesterday with a mate and he just happened to do some googling about Suspension failures and your review was one of the very few hits that he got.

I just think it is a bit sad to crucify Hyundai and the i30 of one failure (be it a significant and disappointing one)

Some other brands I mentioned earlier have many cars with multiple major issues like engine fires and stuff.  :undecided:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

That is a very unfair update to your post.

You didn't state that Hyundai had accepted that this was some kind of structural integrity failure, until now.

Additionally, you originally posted this topic in our "Advice for potential owners" section, which to me was the action of an aggrieved owner searching for a way to vent their frustration on a public forum.

Quote from: nzenigma
We would appreciate it greatly if you could reveal the cause of the failure.

Let's restart this thread right here, eh? :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mate,

It is sad that there was a mechanical defect on your vehicle. You have been repeatedly asked what happened and refuse to reply as to the specifics. This tends to suggest some other motive on your part. The car broke, it got fixed as per the warranty, what else do you expect. It has been inspected and found to be fit to return to the road. It is disapointing that you suffered whatever the defect was so early in your ownership experience, but speculating about what would or could have happened is useless, because it didnt.

At the end of the day I have no  allegence to Hyundai other than owning several of their vehicles which I have found to be of good quality.  I have done over 220.000k in various Hyundai's I have owned and my Wife's has 122k on it. I have found that they are of good quality and when things go wrong they are fixed.

Also remember the sound a car makes when it has an issue is generally not a good indication as to the seriousness of the issue (unless it is the sound of all the airbags deploying). Hence why you have been asked to go into the specifics of your issue.

Now I can't speak for the powers that be, but if you can't discuss your issue by giving the specifics of what was replaced, and continue to abuse and acuse people of working for Hyundai (if you had bothered to do your research you would see the people you have targeted have thrown a couple of bricks at Hyundai on various issues) I can't see how your time on this forum will be either productive or long.

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I can understand that bws2570 is upset - Anyone would be upset when something happen to a brand new car 2 months old.  Yet the 5 years warranty is there for event such as this.  Lets keep it constructive,  It leads no where useful for anyone otherwise.

Well that is my 2 cents

PS:  I still have 2 cent piece somewhere around the house, maybe It will worth something more in another 50 years
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 23:53:45 by Blazorax »
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

Well thats good to hear Hyundai have owned the failure, as it is now known what that failure was/is do you feel like sharing it with us ?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@bws2570 As Hyundai have admitted fault...what exactly was the failed part? suspension failure is quite a broad comment as there is many components in the suspension setup.

PS, we're all Hyundai car nuts here, not sponsored by Hyundai or employees in any shape or form :)

Offline bws2570

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney Australia
Thanks to those for constructive advice and interest
The front strut failed and I will leave it there to the keyboard mechanics and Hyundai “supporters” to tear apart along with “others” with invested interest.

Thanks to those that offered support and credible interest.

I’ll leave it with Hyundai Australia and the Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities (DIRDC). DIRDC regulates the design, manufacture, importation and first supply of road vehicles to ensure an acceptable level of vehicle safety in Australia.

And finally I was just trying to make drivers aware of I30’s that this happened to mine.  I hope it doesn’t raise its head again, fingers crossed, but it may assist someone somewhere at some stage.

Safe driving!

I will provide an outcome when known.

Regards

bws2570

PS: “Beerman” get a life please! Your  overtones and aggression.....wow....nasty!!

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 06:53:40 by bws2570 »
  • I30 PD2 SR Premium

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

And finally I was just trying to make drivers aware of I30’s that this happened to mine.
Safe driving!

Madam, if it was your genuine intention to inform people of a potential problem, you would have produced a succinct account of developments at the site of your mishap and also a true account , with evidence, of your interaction with your dealer.

I as an experienced and independent mechanic, I remain convinced that you collided with some object in the dark and damaged the passenger side suspension.

Your vigorous attack upon me after I suggested the above impact, also convinces me that the dealer has rejected your warranty claim and you are now waging a spiteful crusade against anyone you perceive to be associated with Hyundai.

Your nastiness also extended to Beerman. You are totally our of order.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm a bit sad this has turned into a slanging match (not how I like the site to operate)  :disapp: ... But thank you for the info regarding the failure.

Without getting any further detail would be interesting to know how easily a front strut could fail.

Directed at our Techies, are they just a steel bar? I assume they are not say cast aluminium on our cars. Wonder if it was a mounting point or the strut itself.  :undecided: So many questions!  :crazy1:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

And finally I was just trying to make drivers aware of I30’s that this happened to mine.
Safe driving!

Madam, if it was your genuine intention to inform people of a potential problem, you would have produced a succinct account of developments at the site of your mishap and also a true account , with evidence, of your interaction with your dealer.

I as an experienced and independent mechanic, I remain convinced that you collided with some object in the dark and damaged the passenger side suspension.

Your vigorous attack upon me after I suggested the above impact, also convinces me that the dealer has rejected your warranty claim and you are now waging a spiteful crusade against anyone you perceive to be associated with Hyundai.

Your nastiness also extended to Beerman. You are totally our of order.
:weneedpics:

:Ouch: Popcorn, anyone?

And DAZZ, payup, I'm sick of being a non-affiliated volunteer :clapthanks:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal