i30 Owners Club

Short test of i30 N

tohis · 8 · 17668

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Hello fellows and g'day mates,

At last week i visited Auto 2018 exhibiton at Helsinki. Like the last time, there were also many cars available for a 20-minute test drive, including the i30 N.  :cool:

Right from starting the engine it was clear it's something else than the basic model. Revving the engine and popping exhaust surely turned pedestrians' heads when standing at traffic lights  :evil: ...they probably thought "damn ricer boys again". Well, I would be too old to get that kind of attention should I really own that car, but would love to play with it occasionally outside the city.

Unlike the basic PD I test drove earlier, the N version didn't sway sideways at all when turning the wheel; it just changed direction without any fuss. 19" wheels and stiff anti-roll bars make miracles!  :goodjob: Despite that, in small bumps the suspension didn't feel too hard.

There were plenty of power available; too bad I couldn't play much with it because of speed limits and other traffic on the road... and because of sales representative sitting next to me. When accelerating hard I noticed the typical torque steer problem which is unavoidable in powerful FWD cars.

It surely was fun to drive and could be one to pick should I ever win a jackpot in lottery. Also, it was nice to drive a bit with stick shift for a change as I have an automatic nowadays.  :cool:

• 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Cheers, tohis. Good to see you having some fun.  :goodjob:

Wonder what I'll get loaned when I get my 40K service on Monday?  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Wonder what I'll get loaned when I get my 40K service on Monday? 

Probably a speeding Trabant after the Stinger experience  :whistler:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wonder what I'll get loaned when I get my 40K service on Monday? 

Probably a speeding Trabant after the Stinger experience  :whistler:

Different Dealer. I'm hoping they've either got a Manual SR or a Diesel PD I can try. Haven't driven either of those yet.  :cool:

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I had a 'test passenger' in one of these rocketships on Monday....WOW!!!!
What a fire cracker!
The salesman advised to keep the engine revs below 3000 (recommended for the first 5,000km) and it f-l-e-w!

Also took a new Accent for a drive. I actually drove this one. What a nice little car....It is very Getz-like but so much more refined than my old boy (the Getz). Quiet, smooth, nimble.

Give me a choice and I would take the Accent and keep the other $30,000 and my licence in my pocket.
Seriously...it would be so easy to lose points driving the N.

It all left me in awe of how much Hyundai has progressed.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I had a 'test passenger' in one of these rocketships on Monday....WOW!!!!
What a fire cracker!
The salesman advised to keep the engine revs below 3000 (recommended for the first 5,000km) and it f-l-e-w!

Also took a new Accent for a drive. I actually drove this one. What a nice little car....It is very Getz-like but so much more refined than my old boy (the Getz). Quiet, smooth, nimble.

Give me a choice and I would take the Accent and keep the other $30,000 and my licence in my pocket.
Seriously...it would be so easy to lose points driving the N.

It all left me in awe of how much Hyundai has progressed.

Glad you had fun! I liked it too, just not as big a step up from my SR as I expected.  :cool:

Bit like you. Rather have my SR and $10,000 + in my pocket.

But Hyundai does make some excellent cars now.  :victory:

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The biggest apprehension that I would have with the 'N' is the monumental amount of computerized mumbo and electronics that it has in its (rather large) bag of tricks.

All going well and it would be an absolute delight to drive and own...but repair work/diagnosis work could be an absolute minefield come glitch time.  :crazy1:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The biggest apprehension that I would have with the 'N' is the monumental amount of computerized mumbo and electronics that it has in its (rather large) bag of tricks.

All going well and it would be an absolute delight to drive and own...but repair work/diagnosis work could be an absolute minefield come glitch time.  :crazy1:

I hadn't thought of that, but good point.  :sweating:

So far, only issue I've heard of was a few faulty fuel pumps.  :cool:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal