i30 Owners Club

Windows 10 Update 1809

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Finally came through.
Over the last week, I've updated our two PCs and a laptop.

With our superfast ADSL 2+ web connection  :crazy1: :crazy1: it only took about twelve hours.

Each!!!!

NBN is due in the next few weeks.

Supposedly.   :mrgreen:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I did my 1809 update several weeks ago, still waiting to see when  Dave’s (Doggie1) gets his pushed out so I can go round and tidy up the system. 

I’m looking forward to our NBN hookup, should be active by January 4th :Prayer: I’ve already ordered the pre delivery with TPG :happydance:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I did my 1809 update several weeks ago, still waiting to see when  Dave’s (Doggie1) gets his pushed out so I can go round and tidy up the system. 

I’m looking forward to our NBN hookup, should be active by January 4th :Prayer: I’ve already ordered the pre delivery with TPG :happydance:
Yep. Ours is showing as Jan 1.
I had an email from iiNet offering a pre-order deal.
Rang the number and got a guy with a Pommie accent who knew nothing about the offer.
Talked around in circles and pretty much kept refusing to pass me over to someone else. When he eventually did, he didn't tell the recipient what I was calling about. I REALLY hate that. But the lady was helpful and understanding and volunteered to pull the recording of our conversation and report it. 😁

She offered to pre register me but I decided to wait.
I'll still go with iiNet because I've been with them (including Ozemail for about 13 years and they've always been great.
 One bad apple won't spoil it for me.

Last week the guys were out on the footpath checking the connections in the pit.  Green cable is already down there.

Soon.  :Good_luck: :Good_luck:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Aussie Broadband and TPG are the best Australia wide for speed and service, TPG are $10 cheaper though on the same plan.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Our has slowed down a bit since we first went on 50/20 but still acceptable. With up to 20 things online when the some of the grandkids are here we need it!

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Aussie Broadband and TPG are the best Australia wide for speed and service, TPG are $10 cheaper though on the same plan.
I saw a survey Naidu showed those results but the difference to iiNet was minimal.
And the iiNet offer we have which includes a Fetch box,  free phone calls within Australia and a selection of movies comes out cheaper than any offers I can find for the other two.

Incidentally, doesn't TPG own iiNet now?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Incidentally, doesn't TPG own iiNet now?
Not sure, I know TPG run their own lines which is why I preferred their service including the speed and price, their call centre is Manila based but much quicker and easier to talk with than Telstra.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Owns iiNet,  internode, westnet, netspace and several others.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Rang the number and got a guy with a Pommie accent who knew nothing about the offer.
Talked around in circles and pretty much kept refusing to pass me over to someone else. When he eventually did, he didn't tell the recipient what I was calling about. I REALLY hate that. But the lady was helpful and understanding and volunteered to pull the recording of our conversation and report it. 😁

I'll still go with iiNet because I've been with them (including Ozemail for about 13 years and they've always been great.

Last week the guys were out on the footpath checking the connections in the pit.  Green cable is already down there.

Yeah ya can't trust those buggers with a pommie accent  :crazy1: :crazy1: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah ya can't trust those buggers with a pommie accent  :crazy1: :crazy1: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Yeah what did he say? I suppose something like .. "I know nowt about that!"  :snigger:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

No NBN here, Been with iiNet for years and has been quite good but... recently got an email from them warning me that we had used 80% of our broadband allowance.

They state that at 100% usage  "your broadband speed will be shaped to 256kb/s for downloads and 128kb/s for uploads during the peak period ."

I replied that my speed was already "shaped" to 80kb/s for download.  :crazy1:  Im waiting for the reply.   :phone1:

Ever the optimist, yesterday, I downloaded Bitdefender antivirus for the new laptop. 430Mb took 4.5hrs to complete. ( average speed = 26Kb/s )
:whistler:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

No NBN here, Been with iiNet for years and has been quite good but... recently got an email from them warning me that we had used 80% of our broadband allowance.

They state that at 100% usage  "your broadband speed will be shaped to 256kb/s for downloads and 128kb/s for uploads during the peak period ."

I replied that my speed was already "shaped" to 80kb/s for download.  :crazy1:  Im waiting for the reply.   :phone1:

Ever the optimist, yesterday, I downloaded Bitdefender antivirus for the new laptop. 430Mb took 4.5hrs to complete. ( average speed = 26Kb/s )
I used to get those messages occasionally.
I had a talk to them and found I could get 500gb a month for the same cost. $29.95 iirc.
Since then I've combined with home phone for $59.95 month. Still 500 GB month free.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

I used to get those messages occasionally.
I had a talk to them and found I could get 500gb a month for the same cost. $29.95 iirc.
Since then I've combined with home phone for $59.95 month. Still 500 GB month free.

Missing my point mate, still have not reached my limit, but download speed is at walking pace.
They can give me 1000 GB but I cant use it.
Dead set, I watched the download speed yesterday and it ranged from max 110 Kb/s  down to 820 bytes/sec.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
1st up..   Happy new year to all..

Just checked mine.. Still on 1803.   Even done the check update & all is up to date.  As you can see in the snip

On the NBN front.   Been on with iiNet since Nov 2015.   Have not had any problems at all with them. Very happy.
I'm on the 100/50  Unlimited plan.   Iv'e never had the speed go below 80/30. Even in "peak" times.

• PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Impressive Pete! With the amount of gadgets on my network from time to time including Grandkid's Phones and tablets. We could do with that. We're on 50/20 but mostly around 35/15 these days..

Just made a liar of me!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Ping 18 !!!!!!
D/L 0.63 mbps
U/L  0.40 mbps

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Jeeeeez, never heard of Mb/s  must be something they give the rich! :spitty:

So cruel, I dream of "D/L 0.63 mbps," could that really be 630Kb/s  :wacko:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Jeeeeez, never heard of Mb/s  must be something they give the rich! :spitty:

So cruel, I dream of "D/L 0.63 mbps," could that really be 630Kb/s  :wacko:
You might be better on dial up.  :mrgreen:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Impressive Pete! With the amount of gadgets on my network from time to time including Grandkid's Phones and tablets. We could do with that. We're on 50/20 but mostly around 35/15 these days..

Just made a liar of me!

I can watch Netflix at 4K. Youtube with 1440p. Downloading whatever. All at the same time...
Do I need it to be at 100/40?   When 50/20 would still be enough..     Hell yeah lol..
Plus it's only an extra $20 a month..  I'm quite happy to pay that
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I think I hate you.  :evil: :wink:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just made a liar of me!

I can watch Netflix at 4K. Youtube with 1440p. Downloading whatever. All at the same time...
Do I need it to be at 100/40?   When 50/20 would still be enough..     Hell yeah lol..
Plus it's only an extra $20 a month..  I'm quite happy to pay that

Even when only I and the wife are home some evenings (no grandkids) I occasionally get a bit of buffering on You tube! :crazy1:

So while the speed is not bad the quality of the feed must vary?

I opted to pay $20 extra to go from 5/25 to 20/50  but they never actually charged me as Telstra made a decision to upgrade their service to 20/50 without extra payment.  :goodjob:

If I get too much buffering I might pay the extra $20 p/m for 50/100.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
not winning...

U/L  0.63

D/L   2.82

Pings   133

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

not winning...

U/L  0.63

D/L   2.82

Pings   133

:eek:

Gee that's pretty poor John!

It's not like you are out in the sticks!  :disapp:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
not winning...

U/L  0.63

D/L   2.82

Pings   133

I regularly see three figure pings. But I'd kill for 2.82 downloads.  :disapp:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
not winning...

U/L  0.63

D/L   2.82

Pings   133

does ADSL1 ping?  Is that when download fails or starts again?  :spitty:  Message-  iinet are going to call me  :rolleyes:  :phone1: 

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
not winning...

U/L  0.63

D/L   2.82

Pings   133

does ADSL1 ping?  Is that when download fails or starts again?  :spitty:  Message-  iinet are going to call me  :rolleyes:  :phone1:

The ping is the reaction time of your connection–how fast you get a response after you've sent out a request. A fast ping means a more responsive connection, especially in applications where timing is everything (like video games). Ping is measured in milliseconds (ms).Mar 21, 2014

I had ADSL1 once upon  time. Pretty sure you still get a Ping.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery

Having big bandwidth doesn't necessarily translate to faster downloads or better application performance.

That's how much was consumed during the speedtest. I've just gone from 25/5 up to 100/40 (long story) and I can assure you I'm not seeing a real difference between them, even on uploads. For most people, 25/5 should be plenty fast enough assuming your access works properly and you have a router that works properly. Most of the carrier supplied modems are rubbish and that goes for their wireless connectivity as well.

The box with the blue light is the router, Zotac CI327 running untangle, Cisco AC wireless network for mobile devices with a gigabit wired backbone running around the house for everything else. The Juniper chassis is the previous router hardware, Pentium D running untangle.

My observations are that there is no substantial measurable difference in application performance (browsing, web apps, gaming etc, anything accessing the internet)  between 25/5 and 100/40. But then the network isn't getting flogged by a household of teenagers either. ;)

The CI327 is a cool device actually. Quad core celeron, passive cooling, very low power consumption and obviously silent.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My friend Keith is a wealth of knowledge about a lot of things.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
My friend Keith is a wealth of knowledge about a lot of things.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

He sure does, thanks Keith  :goodjob2:

And I was so relieved when you said " big bandwidth doesn't necessarily translate to faster downloads"

Today's test=  17ms ping and 1.36Mb/s download.....  :happydance: oh joy  :happydance:

Last week I had 80Kb/s download, but then iiNet 'shaped' my ADSL1 therefore I had to wait until Friday's unshaping ceremony before they could do a speed test.  :wacko:

I suspect the spilt screen html page on Saturday morning was their tech mob, but since that, no further communication.  :phone1:

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
The "speedpack" is simply the shaping applied to your service. I've never seen more than 3.5 Mbps downloads ever. Think of it like the motorway. Even if you're on a 6 lane motorway (capacity, how much network traffic can be carried before congestion occurs) by  yourself, speed limits apply. Even in your i30N you are never going to go any faster than the posted speed limit. If the motorway is clogged with traffic (network congestion), then you might be lucky to do the speed limit.

And of course, the "speed" also has the response of distant servers as a factor (server latency) in addition to the time the packet takes to travel to the distant server (round trip delay). Physics, the further away the server the bigger the rtd. And if there is network congestion then longer again. If the server is busy or the hosting environment is getting flogged, that's going to take time as well. Nowdays a major website is more like a network rather than a single destination, so there will be multiple endpoints that need to respond. One to process the http request and coordinate the response. Content normally is served from a CDN like Akamai, so traffic need to be routed round the world to the neared CDN access point to you. Performance of individual servers which now are mostly virtualised which brings its own issues when things go wrong.

Then there is all the edge security in the various systems between you and your web page, proxy's, IDP devices, edge shaping, firewalls and so forth. And then the internal network gubbins for CDN's and other hosting environments. It's complicated.

What can be done is to manage the priority of traffic on your network using the QoS settings of your router. More correctly, the priority of traffic leaving your network. At one time I used a packetshaper to do this but there is next to no traffic on the network these days. On the other hand if you have a network full of kids and not much bandwidth, this is a good way to keep things under control. Or at least to behave predictably. In my case now with so much available bandwidth and so little traffic its not as important as it was but still a good idea. 

Anyway point is, there's more to it than a big fat pipe to your house. But having huge amounts of access capability is never a bad thing - just not the only consideration for good performance.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 22:34:06 by Aussie Keith »
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal