i30 Owners Club

Avast Update Issue

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I've used Avast free for Android on two phones and two tablets for years now.
A couple of days ago one phone told me I had an issue detected.
It was Avast telling me to update my virus definitions.
I tried.
Message was failed..Check your internet connection.
Tried again. Same.
Removed Avast and downloaded it again. Told me to update virus definitions.
Same result.
No joy searching for a fix.
So I scrapped it and installed Kaspersky.
Now one tablet is doing the same thing.

Any ideas before I swap everything over to Kaspersky?

@CraigB  I have a vague idea this is something up your alley.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yeah Craig is/was a very active moderator on the Avast forum. Not sure if he still is.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sorry I didn’t notice your post a little sooner Trev, Avast have been having some server issues on their mobile side from some of the reports I’d read.

I don’t follow the mobile boards to know much more I’m afraid.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 07:33:59 by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I just logged into Avast after some time off and I had a couple of abusive pm's waiting for me from people thinking I work for Avast about this same issue :crazy1: last complaint was on the 29th of December

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's annoying because now I'm getting reminders that I haven't actioned to threat.  :crazy1:

Kaspersky, which I loaded on one phone is looking good.
But I'll give it a few days.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It's annoying because now I'm getting reminders that I haven't actioned to threat.  :crazy1:

I use Kaspersky on everything it works well.  :victory:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I use Kaspersky on everything it works well.  :victory:
The free version?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If Kaspersky's web scanning component is free on the mobile app I'd just use Kaspersky, if you don't require web scanning then Dr Web lite is one of the best.

Avast tends to have issues more often than not nowadays I'm noticing, to many unnecessary components being added with increasing advertising being pushed in your face for their paid products.

I'm not sure about Android but the Windows versions seem to be in constant beta development with many complaints of instability.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm using the paid version on half a dozen devices but all up it only cost me $50 or $60 for the year via Ebay.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm using the paid version on half a dozen devices but all up it only cost me $50 or $60 for the year via Ebay.
Waste of money paying for an AV Dazz, if you like Kaspersky the free versions use exactly the same engine and definitions, you’ll just miss out on the firewall and a couple of other non essential features, the windows firewall is excellent and if using Win 10 systems then Defender is equally as good as any of the top paid products.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Waste of money paying for an AV Dazz, if you like Kaspersky the free versions use exactly the same engine and definitions, you’ll just miss out on the firewall and a couple of other non essential features, the windows firewall is excellent and if using Win 10 systems then Defender is equally as good as any of the top paid products.
Thanks Craig. That's been my philosophy since going W10. Previously I used Kaspersky for years. And Avast free on tablets, phones etc.
The Avast thing is still happening so I might switch to Kaspersky.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Waste of money paying for an AV Dazz,
Gee Craig, you know you should break news like that a little more gently to Dazz  :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Used to use Symantec, then Avast free version for home, yet after a few years I felt guilty so I pay them for the services they provide :) and then move on to Kerpersky

Anyway, now with Webroot for the last few years because I think it is a better choice for me.  Client is light and less resource consumption while I game, and it is hardcore AV product.

Also because it got the word "root" .... and I like root so woot  :happydance: :happydance:

For everyday people, Avast, Symantec, Karpersky are sufficient.  If you open up task manager and look at how much memory + CPU those AV consume it crazy  :crazy1:  I rather save that for my gaming and other healthy activities ....cough cough ... :whistler: :whistler:

Avast, Symantec, Karpersky reply on virus definition VS WebRoot

"antivirus utilities relied on ever-growing signature databases to identify dangerous files. Polymorphic malware foiled signatures, so security companies devised heuristic and behavior-based detection methods. This proliferation of techniques sometimes created very large programs. Rather than expand to catch every new attack instantly, Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus keeps watch on unknown programs until its brain in the cloud comes to a judgment. If it's thumbs down, the tiny local program wipes out the attacker and reverses its actions. It's a very unusual system, but testing proves that it does the job, and does it well."
:link: Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus - Review 2018 - PCMag Australia

If you want next gen AV product, want less resource intensive on your gaming rig/PC and less footprint (4MB for the client - beat that Symantec, Avast, and Karpersky) and do not mind paying a small amount for the product then go WebRoot, if nothing else, GO ROOT!!! 

May you have plenty of Roots this 2019.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 00:31:36 by Blazorax »
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanh, Webroot maybe light but it’s useless without an internet connection and it’s detection rate is one of the lowest out there.

If I remember correctly they removed themselves from testing companies due to poor results and they’re also not a member of VirusTotal where major companies share their latest detections for the greater good of the community.

Don’t put to much faith in PC mag reviews, notice how they say “my testing” :whistler: they’re paid to advertise a product :phone1:

Bitdefender free And Panda free are very similar in their structure to Webroot though they both also share a small local database making them more robust.

As I mentioned earlier, if using Windows 10 then I highly recommend just sticking with the built in security of Defender, since the 1809 update it’s also running quite light on the system and is capable of monitoring the system as well as any top paid competitor and Defemder has the benefit of being more aware due to the built in structure with far less compatibility issues which in turn makes for an easier maintenance free setup...set and forget  :)

As an extra you can run the free AdGuard browser extension alongside to block advertising - spyware and trackers on the net, Malwarebytes free is another top product to keep in your arsenal for periodic scans.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 02:58:58 by CraigB »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I might use the free Kaspersky on my Win 10 laptop but what about our Win 7 desktop two win 7 laptops and our 4 Android tablers and 2 Android phones.  :undecided: Say $60 p/a for paid Kaspersky for those seems reasonable.   :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Dazz, I think I’d already set your Win 10 system up with Defender and Adguard when I was over there :undecided: would be best to stick with that setup imo.

$60 per annum for all the other devices/computers is a great price though I think you’d find the free will be sufficient, if you don’t like the free you can always then put your paid copy back on :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazz, I think I’d already set your Win 10 system up with Defender and Adguard when I was over there :undecided: would be best to stick with that setup imo.

$60 per annum for all the other devices/computers is a great price though I think you’d find the free will be sufficient, if you don’t like the free you can always then put your paid copy back on :)

:goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My protection runs out in 40 days. 2 x these multiple licenses for $22 each (there are even cheaper ones available) would cover most of my devices. Seems cheap insurance to me!

:link: Kaspersky Total Security 2018 3 Device PC 1 Year Fast Email license key | eBay

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
I've dumped Avast in favour of Defender. I got fed up with the panic stations approach and nagware. However I have a different security strategy.

I've got security at the edge of the network as well as on the clients. This checks each packet for malicious payloads before it gets to your client because antivirus and malware software on a client is a last line of defense. Its not for everyone of course but for $50 per year every device on the network has edge protection from numerous attack vectors which is why Windows Defender is good enough on the client.

• i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That sounds like a great idea Keith.  :goodjob:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Avast has still not rectified its issue with updates.

Third device now transferred over to Kaspersky.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal