i30 Owners Club

Cannot open hatch neither from outside or inside

Offline MyArhidia

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
As the topic states, I'm unable to open my hatch neither from outside of the car by pushing the button, or inside by moving the release lever.

Pressing the button I can hear the mechanism click, but the hatch remains locked and no amount of bouncing or trying to get it to budge has any effect.

Moving the lever from inside of the car, nothing happens. Doesn't catch anything, click or feel like it's doing anything.

I would say something is broken in the mechanism, however I'm unable to investigate as I can't open the hatch.

My question is - how do I open the hatch in this scenario.

Car out of warranty, 2013 GD.

thanks.
  • 2013 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0lt, Manual, Charcoal

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome:

Sorry to hear that. The Actuators (solenoid switches) that operate the doors and hatch can fail in Hyundais from time to time but if there is a noise maybe it is a cable or something.

I had a feeling there was a fail safe over-ride on the inside somewhere but may be wrong. Follow this thread with interest for one of our smarter members to suggest a solution... 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
There should be a small slot on the inside of the rear hatch above the locking mechanism, use a small flat screwdriver to slide the lock lever inside to the right.

There's an arrow pointing the direction of the lever.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
There should be a small slot on the inside of the rear hatch above the locking mechanism, use a small flat screwdriver to slide the lock lever inside to the right.

Cheers Craig that rings a bell now you come to mention it!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline MyArhidia

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

yep, already tried it. That's what I meant when I said "I can't open it from the inside".

When I push the lever all the way to the right, I dont feel it engage with anything, it just gets to the end and springs back.
  • 2013 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0lt, Manual, Charcoal

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal