i30 Owners Club

FD cw suspension noise

sundiz · 19 · 6371

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
2008 cw with 161tkm.

I hit a bigger pot hole on the street and heard some noise from the suspension. Best I could describe it, it was like a rusty hinge. The noise did not appear for a week, but now I was able to recreate it. It seems to happen when both of the front tyres drop down and suspension goes to max height, for example after a speed pump. This will not happen in normal driving. I need to drive a bit faster to create the sound. I jacked the car up and tried to check all bushings with a crowbar, but I was not able find any worn out bushings. I checked front and rear axel. I tried to wiggle all tyres when they were lifted up, but found no play in any direction. I even sprayed some siliconspray to the bushings as I thought they might dry and create the noise. Unfortunately that did not fix the issue. This only happens when suspension is in higher movement. I was not able to create the sound by pushing the front or rear up and down.

What could cause this noise? Could the shocks be worn out? I cannot feel any difference in the steering and all the tyres seem to be worn out evenly.

I hope to get this sorted out before I need to put brand new summertyres as I am afraid there is something that might affect to the wearing of the tyres. Unless I find the cause with our help, I am thinking of taking the car to some suspension shop for check up.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Sundiz,

Before reading further on I suspected bushes with that noise you described. Are they still the original shock absorbers? If so and you intend keeping the car at least another year or two then it might be worth replacing the.

If the alignment checks out Ok when you swap you tyres over then i would assume wear should be even.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
2008 cw with 161tkm.

I hit a bigger pot hole on the street and heard some noise from the suspension. Best I could describe it, it was like a rusty hinge. The noise did not appear for a week, but now I was able to recreate it. It seems to happen when both of the front tyres drop down and suspension goes to max height, for example after a speed pump. This will not happen in normal driving. I need to drive a bit faster to create the sound. I jacked the car up and tried to check all bushings with a crowbar, but I was not able find any worn out bushings. I checked front and rear axel. I tried to wiggle all tyres when they were lifted up, but found no play in any direction. I even sprayed some siliconspray to the bushings as I thought they might dry and create the noise. Unfortunately that did not fix the issue. This only happens when suspension is in higher movement. I was not able to create the sound by pushing the front or rear up and down.

What could cause this noise? Could the shocks be worn out? I cannot feel any difference in the steering and all the tyres seem to be worn out evenly.

I hope to get this sorted out before I need to put brand new summertyres as I am afraid there is something that might affect to the wearing of the tyres. Unless I find the cause with our help, I am thinking of taking the car to some suspension shop for check up.
Have the sway bushings been replaced yet on the front? If they're originals they'd be getting hard with age. aiready done 2 sets myself. One for being worn out and the bar knocking (390000k) the other had been groaning from time to time especially over humps. They were quite hard, tried spraying them to no avail. New bushings also removed a lot of harshness being transmited over rough roads.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I am forced to keep this one for a year or two, if nothing bigger issues come up.

Swaybar bushings are original. Those I did not check. I'll have to check them. Thanks for the tip. Are those hard to change? Does it need a lot of disassembly to get hold of those bushings?
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I am forced to keep this one for a year or two, if nothing bigger issues come up.

Swaybar bushings are original. Those I did not check. I'll have to check them. Thanks for the tip. Are those hard to change? Does it need a lot of disassembly to get hold of those bushings?
I had to drop the cradle  away from the body to gain access to the bolts on the retainers. From memory I jacked the car up and supported it on the tow points with stands . Then I had 2 scissor jacks centred front and back of the cradle to support that. Then l loosened the 4 mounting bolts to lower the frame. I also believe the 2 braces at the rear of the cradle had to come off to lower the rear portion. Just did enough to gain access.

I'm sure you'll work it out

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Just had another thought. I think I had to disconnect the front and reall roll stoppers. There may have been some swearing involved with the rear. Not 100% sure :sweating:

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Tw2005 got it right. It was difficult to point out as the noise disappeared sometimes and then suddenly came back. I changed the lower ball joint to just to make sure it was ok. After the job I was able push the front of the car up and down and create small noise. Got some help pumping the front suspension and went in to the oil pit with a stetoscope. And when I listened the front stabilizer bar it was obvious what had caused the noise. I'll have to get my AC serviced so I am thinking of asking them to do the change of the bushings.

When you lowered the front mount did you remove the steering rack or was it still on while doing it?
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Tw2005 got it right. It was difficult to point out as the noise disappeared sometimes and then suddenly came back. I changed the lower ball joint to just to make sure it was ok. After the job I was able push the front of the car up and down and create small noise. Got some help pumping the front suspension and went in to the oil pit with a stetoscope. And when I listened the front stabilizer bar it was obvious what had caused the noise. I'll have to get my AC serviced so I am thinking of asking them to do the change of the bushings.

When you lowered the front mount did you remove the steering rack or was it still on while doing it?
Disconnected the  telescopic joint from inside the car. marked prior to removal. Good question.  Also has o disconecte the front and rear  engine mounts too I think

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Just had another thought. I think I had to disconnect the front and reall roll stoppers. There may have been some swearing involved with the rear. Not 100% sure :sweating:

How embarrassing, did the neigbours steal your workshop jack too?  :faint:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 02:31:29 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@sundiz , mate doing those bushes is a reasonably long and unpleasant job. Sounds like you are going to spend money on it too.
If there is no damage or significant play, why not just work some silicone grease into the bushes. It seems that its only noise thats worrying you.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
@sundiz , mate doing those bushes is a reasonably long and unpleasant job. Sounds like you are going to spend money on it too.
If there is no damage or significant play, why not just work some silicone grease into the bushes. It seems that its only noise thats worrying you.
I had substantial NVH improvement with fresh soft bushes in my hatch.

:spitty:

Good work experience  :goodjob2:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

How embarrassing, did the neigbours steal your workshop jack too?  :faint:
I could explain it to you but you're too busy lubing yours up.  :crazy1: :winker:

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki

Good point. I'll have to change summer tyres next weekend, so I think I will go once again under the car while it is jacked up. I'll check the play with a longer crowbar. At least I could try the silicone grease as it will take few weeks before I take my car to AC service. With a small crowbar there were no significant play. Also visually they looked to be in good shape.  The noise is just something that really bothers me. Or maybe I should just turn the radio volume up, so I don't hear the noises car makes.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Good point. I'll have to change summer tyres next weekend, so I think I will go once again under the car while it is jacked up. I'll check the play with a longer crowbar. At least I could try the silicone grease as it will take few weeks before I take my car to AC service. With a small crowbar there were no significant play. Also visually they looked to be in good shape.  The noise is just something that really bothers me. Or maybe I should just turn the radio volume up, so I don't hear the noises car makes.
:Pout:  :rolleyes:

I put up with mine for 3 years, the tractor I had no choice in the matter. Once I did the tractor and understood what was involved I had no hesitation doing the other hatch.

worth every drop of my sweat. Like a new car.

Already tried the simple things like squirty squirt squirt. Nothing penetrated, nothing worked for me plus I found some of the bushing has stuck to the bar and torn away on removal which may have created the binding noise.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 He's quite anal.  :cool:
Also needs new, often needless, projects   :cool:
Also people steal parts of his cars, makes him paranoid. :cool:

Hope this makes sense in Finland.  :mrgreen:

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
 :D

To be honest, I understand him well. I just got some new tools, so I had to test them. I changed the left lower ball joint in the front. And I am planning to change the other next week on my holiday. One had a small hole in the rubber, but there were no slack in it. Eventually it would have caused issues. The other one is still ok. But now I got the tools and parts are cheap, so why not.

If I had a better place to do the bushing job I might actually do it. I envy his yard where he has firm place to jack the car up. I only have small garage where that kind of job is almost impossible. I have access to bigger garage with oil pit, but can only work there few hours. And the yard is gravel and grass. Not the best place to jack up the car. Also the weather is a bit better there for DIY jobs. We are currently just above freezing here.

I did put some silicone spray to the stabilizer mounts on saturday. Today the car did not make a sound today. It may be that greasing might do the job. I'll have to check the possible play again and I'll have to go to the pharmacy, buy a needle and syringe and put some propher silicone grease to the bushings. But eventually that job is going to happen. By me, paid mechanic or the next owner. I'll have to get the AC serviced so it does not cost me anything to ask how much it would cost to be done by a 'real' mechanic.

I like how the people start looking me strange when I ask syringe and needles in pharmacy. I guess only junkies do that. Sometimes greasy clothers and oily hands seems to work when I explain I need them for car related stuff. But most of the times the athmosphere changes. I guess they still do not believe me  :D  Those syringes are just awesome when mixing small amounts of paints, hardeners and thinner for airbrush.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Nevertheless here is manufacturers instructions for the job, if someone is going to need it. I guess you might be able leave some parts connected (like ball joints) if you just lower the subframe on few jacks like tw2005 did.

:link: front stabilizer..pdf - Google Drive
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
He's quite anal.  :cool:
Also needs new, often needless, projects   :cool:
Also people steal parts of his cars, makes him paranoid. :cool:

Hope this makes sense in Finland.  :mrgreen:
:thanx: :kissmyass: :clapthanks:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :Agoodpost:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal