i30 Owners Club

2011 crdi motor and auto into 08 crdi

Offline Rev. Brian

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      bundaberg
Hi all, i have a question that no two hyundai service centres seem to have the same answer so i turn to the wealth of knowledge here.
I have an 08 crdi auto i30 with nearly 300k kms. The auto developed problems, expensive problems, so i picked up a stat writeoff 2011 crdi  and auto with 90k kms. Now, as i understand it 07 to 2012 were same model so can i straight swap the 2011 diesel and auto into my 08 vehicle? If anyone has achieved this your knowledge would be invaluable. Cheers, Brian
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 01:45:02 by Rev. Brian »
  • 08 i30 crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Rev,

I am sure you will get some good info if you are patient. At these holiday times it might take a bit longer for some of our awesome tech heads to spot your query.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Rev. Brian

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      bundaberg
Thanks Dazzler. I am figuring that the service centres are mostly parts fitters these days as opposed to true mechanics who diagnose, eliminate and repair, that is probably why i get different answers. Cheers.
  • 08 i30 crdi

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi all, i have a question that no two hyundai service centres seem to have the same answer so i turn to the wealth of knowledge here.
I have an 08 crdi auto i30 with nearly 300k kms. The auto developed problems, expensive problems, so i picked up a stat writeoff 2011 crdi  and auto with 90k kms. Now, as i understand it 07 to 2012 were same model so can i straight swap the 2011 diesel and auto into my 08 vehicle? If anyone has achieved this your knowledge would be invaluable. Cheers, Brian

I start with yes and no, then say but you could be in luck.  :faint: :twisted:

There are two fuel rail and pump controls on the i30s
You need to compare the two motors.
On a 2007 and possibly your 2008 there is a fuel pressure sensor on the LH end of the common rail ( the pipes go from the rail to the injectors) 
On the 2011 the the sensor is missing ( rail is blanked off) and the pressure sensor is on the HP fuel pump.
In this case, the 2008 ECU is not compatible with the 2011 engine.
There was a transition to the updated motor about 08-09 so its possible that you have the late one. :winker:

You say you have the stat w/o so you could use the ECU etc and loom from that car. That's if you are up for  doing electrical work.
The other work around would be to swap the common rail, pipe work, sensors and HP pump.

Go look, We await your decision.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Rev. Brian

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      bundaberg
Thanks for that. Car is at my sons at the moment so will get him to check after work and will post the verdict on the fuel rail. Thanks again to everyone who has replied. :goodjob:
  • 08 i30 crdi

Offline Rev. Brian

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      bundaberg
Ok, so my car is 03/08 and has the sensor on the fuel rail. In saying that i will have to change the rail, pipes sensor and hp pump. I am assuming the hp pump is in the tank? Is there any wiring i will need to change to complete the swapover? Also if i am puuing my rail and sensor on, which the car already has the wiring in the places to suit why do i need to change the hp pump? Thanks
  • 08 i30 crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@nzenigma Worse case scenario could the Rev just swap transmissions and keep original motor? :undecided:

Offline Rev. Brian

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      bundaberg
Haha, that was the backup plan Dazzler. My thinking was old motor nearly 300 000km new motor 90 000. That was the clincher.
  • 08 i30 crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Haha, that was the backup plan Dazzler. My thinking was old motor nearly 300 000km new motor 90 000. That was the clincher.

Fingers crossed then!  :sweating:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
What sort of work has been done to the original?  Shocks steering,  bushes etc etc.  What's the spec of each vehicle ?

It's interesting we've had several people now with early pre apr 08 who have  fallen foul of trying to insert the updated version unknowingly with compatibility issues.

I've done almost a 100 % swap over like for like on a slx cw . 40000k into a 177000k
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@nzenigma Worse case scenario could the Rev just swap transmissions and keep original motor? :undecided:

Yes no problem there Dazz
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Rev. Brian

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      bundaberg
@tw2005---Both stock vehicles just wanting to put a 1.6l crdi and auto from an 2011 model straight into an 08 1.6l crdi. Like for like and just wanting to know if any major issues.
  • 08 i30 crdi

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Ok, so my car is 03/08 and has the sensor on the fuel rail. In saying that i will have to change the rail, pipes sensor and hp pump. I am assuming the hp pump is in the tank? Is there any wiring i will need to change to complete the swapover? Also if i am puuing my rail and sensor on, which the car already has the wiring in the places to suit why do i need to change the hp pump? Thanks

The HP pump is on the lower left side of the motor, nothing in the tank save a pick up sock.
Follow line down from the common rail. Its the black thing below it.

If you go the rail change route then you have the original fitted to the new motor therefore wiring will be ok.

Offline Rev. Brian

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      bundaberg

The HP pump is on the lower left side of the motor, nothing in the tank save a pick up sock.
Follow line down from the common rail. Its the black thing below it.

If you go the rail change route then you have the original fitted to the new motor therefore wiring will be ok.

FANTASTIC thank you.
  • 08 i30 crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
@nzenigma  Gary and I have discussed this before.

Anyway, I originally started old doing the powertrain on ours and ended up doing seats, complete front and rear ends , carpet trim steering wheel. Pretty cheap refresh, lot of work, fantastic challenge.

You could almost do the same although the later model will have all the extra airbags and stabilty program, your current one won't.

Heaps of spares to be had.

Good opportunity to do some preventative work too whilst things are ripped out, sway bar bushes, and if th earms have never been worked on the chances are the bushes are torn and or separating from the arms.

Good luck

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 10:49:39 by tw2005 »

Offline Rev. Brian

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      bundaberg
@nzenigna Gary and I have discussed this before.

Anyway, I originally started old doing the powertrain on ours and ended up doing seats, complete front and rear ends , carpet trim steering wheel. Pretty cheap refresh, lot of work, fantastic challenge.

You could almost do the same although the later model will have all the extra airbags and stabilty program, your current one won't.

Good opportunity to do some preventative work too whilst things are ripped out, sway bar bushes, and if th earms have never been worked on the chances are the bushes are torn and or separating from the arms.

Good luck

Thanks heaps. The stat i got was a really bad t-bone right in middle of driver side so a bit limited to useable parts. I will check those bushes and am changing rotors and calipers over as well. It is great having the parts and i might even totally rebuild my original crdi motor.

• 08 i30 crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Good luck

Thanks heaps. The stat i got was a really bad t-bone right in middle of driver side so a bit limited to useable parts. I will check those bushes and am changing rotors and calipers over as well. It is great having the parts and i might even totally rebuild my original crdi motor.

I like mine medium rare , but that one's well done,  fries?

I wonder if the window regulator clips broke on that panel, if not save them and I'm not kidding.

Rebuild original, you're keen or a Diesel mechanic, these are so reliable give me a good used one any day and should be cheap. My SX early 08 manual is getting close to 400K

Should be a bluetooth radio in there, did it have the  protectz pack, fogs and cruise on that T-bone?

Offline Rev. Brian

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      bundaberg

Good luck

I like mine medium rare , but that one's well done,  fries?

I wonder if the window regulator clips broke on that panel, if not save them and I'm not kidding.

Rebuild original, you're keen or a Diesel mechanic, these are so reliable give me a good used one any day and should be cheap. My SX early 08 manual is getting close to 400K

Should be a bluetooth radio in there, did it have the  protectz pack, fogs and cruise on that T-bone?

Yep, i got the radio out and am using front bumper with fogs. Mine doesnt have fogs or cruise as is a base model so not sure if i can fit them or if the base model has the wiring for fogs and cruise. Not a mechanic but can rebuild motors and have plenty of time. Might just keep it wrapped up in clingwrap.
  • 08 i30 crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
If the little darling had fogs and cruise, if you swap that clock spring over and get your self the steering vol control and the harness that will connect to the radio.

I think you'd have to rewire the car to get cruise and if you did that, well then you'd also be able to use the motor as is. You'd vitually be build from a shell, but not sure how easy that would be with dash and HVAC system in.

Anyway , endless fun ahead if you have time to please yourself

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal